Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Jobs & Careers

Notices

Masters???

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
tdels14 is on a distinguished road
tdels14's Tacoma Gallery
Masters???

I need your guys' input on something, i just graduated with my bachelors in mechanical engineering, and i want to get my masters.....my question is do i stick with engineering, or branch out and do something else like finance, or buisness?? not sure if branching out will make me look more "well rounded" on the resume or if it is even going to make a difference...thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdels14 View Post
I need your guys' input on something, i just graduated with my bachelors in mechanical engineering, and i want to get my masters.....my question is do i stick with engineering, or branch out and do something else like finance, or buisness?? not sure if branching out will make me look more "well rounded" on the resume or if it is even going to make a difference...thanks!

I got a BS in engineering and never directly used it in international business.

Go for a masters in another discipline, like international business. IB can take you almost anywhere.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

I got a BS in engineering and never directly used it in international business.

Go for a masters in another discipline, like international business. IB can take you almost anywhere.

I would agree with this- IF you don't want to get into engineering. I have a BS in eletrical engineering/computer science and I plan on starting a Masters in Human Performance Technology and possibly Mass Communications.
I was too deep into my BS to switch tracks when I realized that I didn't want to be a pure engineer. My background will help me with some of the stuff I want to move on to...but I need to diversify with something else to move forward.
If you want to stay as an engineer-I'd say a masters and some real experiences in whatever field you want are the way to go...

So the real question is-What do YOU want to do??
Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
tdels14's Tacoma Gallery
good input guys, thank you, as far as i go, i work at a company that manufactures forklift attachments. with getting my degree i have moved off the shop floor and into the office with an engineering job. the reason why i asked was because we are a global company and i just want to make myself more of an asset in any way i can..but i also know that i dont want to be sitting in front of a comp screen all day every day.with that being said, i think you guys just helped me answer my question....
Old 06-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
What are your thoughts on an MS in another engineering field?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
tdels14's Tacoma Gallery
i have thought about that too, maybe getting an MS in Manufacturing Engineering? i think that it is either going to be that, buisness, or finance.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
A master in bus mngmt gurantees you a starting salarie of 80k+ here is socal. Mechanical engineering has a high starting pay but you will top out at around 120-150k around here. However, if business isn't your thing then why bother? Do what you love and what most interests you, it is proven that is what will advance your career the most.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #8
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
I've never heard it put this way....but what you said is perfect. It fits like a glove...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Are you going for your PE license? A MS in engineering would count towards the experience you'd need to sit for the license. But otherwise, I agree with everyone else on here, if you have no intention of using the engineering degree, it's not worth it to get a masters in engineering.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
nfs257sgirl is on a distinguished road

Navy: STG2
Name: Samantha
nfs257sgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdels14 View Post
good input guys, thank you, as far as i go, i work at a company that manufactures forklift attachments. with getting my degree i have moved off the shop floor and into the office with an engineering job. the reason why i asked was because we are a global company and i just want to make myself more of an asset in any way i can..but i also know that i dont want to be sitting in front of a comp screen all day every day.with that being said, i think you guys just helped me answer my question....
I just got my BA in Management with a concentration in HR, and now am getting my MBA with a specialization in Organizational Leadership. I am doing this because I want to be a Director of HR or VP of HR someday.

The most important question is what do you want to do with your career? If you want to stay in the engineering field and be an engineer, then get a Masters in Engineering. If you want to be more on the business management side in an engineering field (cause of your BS), then get an MBA and specialize in something that interests you, like international business or something.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Outsider is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorabally Discharged Staff Sergent
Name: Nick
Outsider's Tacoma Gallery
I have a B.S. in Landscape Architecture...which is basically worthless to me...I got an M.S. in Safety Management...Am considering getting another M.S. in Business or Corporate Communication...I did my M.S. while working, my company paid for it, i just had to do the work. They will pay for my other one if I so choose to complete it. Online/saturday/night classes for 2 years was all it took...no big deal.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I guarantee you will find a job quicker and earn more cash in an engineering field than in the others.