1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about Fabrication School

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by DWreck, May 24, 2011.

1. May 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    DWreck

DWreck [OP] Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    I am currently an unemployed Carpenter. I've been doing it for 7 years and getting tired of the work and having such spotty work.

I love to fabricate stuff. Not very good at it IMO but most like my work. All I have is a Harbor Freight bottle jack bender and a Lincoln flux core welder. Both suck, but work for now. I'd like to learn the PROPER way of doing things and possibly make money at it. Like everyone says, "Do something you love", well I think I could love doing this.

Does anyone know of a good school? I am based in Las Vegas. From doing what little research I have done, most schools are in California or Phoenix.

Thoughts, opinions, ridicule, whatever. Let's hear it.

2. May 24, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    BUMP!

3. May 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    I would say do some serious market research my friend. I went to "The Fab School" in 07 and I'm tellin ya it ain't all its cracked up to be. We had people come from the east coast just to attend and they found themselves in serious debt with a $12 an hour job to show for it. Kinda like me at the beginning. Not much better off now financially to be honest.

I don't want to sound too bitter. I've made it abundantly clear how much I love my job and my awesome boss and co workers (like workin with yer buddies at a 3 1/2 year long wrencha/fabri/weld-athon). I'm send ya a PM later and we'll discuss the fab business ;)

My best advice for anyone reading this and considering the same career move PLEASE consider the economy and how that affects people's desire to dish out money for things they can't say are a necessity. As for fab schools, don't throw your money away. Ask around at local shops and maybe just keep yer day job and ask if you can just help out on the weekends or whenever. fab and custom welding are much better learned on the job and from experienced guys who aren't trying to make a profit off of "teaching you the basics".

I can't count how many times Jason (Demello) has told me, "Ya shoulda just come here..."

4. May 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Thanks much! Looking forward to PM!

To Top