1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dissatisfaction with current employer, please advise.

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by KodiakToyTRD, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    So when I separated from the service and moved to CO, I had applied to a certain security company...they called me in for an interview shortly after my arrival in CO. Primary interviewer said all members start at such and such and then quickly moved on. They sent me to another interviewer and did all the paper work and then back to the final with offer of employment. This person said since I had military experience that he could probably start me off better then base. I should have pursued the issue but I didn't.

I start working and the training program sucks. I get my first check and its .50 above base. Ok so the guy did hold to his word, but really? .50 above base? With 5.5 years military experience and 2.5 years police experience in the service and a federal LE academy?

Now after working for 2-3 weeks, I have found out somethings that I don't like about the company. Certain business practices aren't the most professional and the employee's that I have seen are not professional at all.

I have applied to a few different places and have an interview lined up, but I have not given my 2 weeks notice nor informed my present employer that I am not satisfied with the company as I do not have anything set in stone to replace this job.

Professional courtesy states its advisable to give 2 weeks, but if I get this offer from this other company (non-LE or security related with better pay and benefits and reputation), do I submit a notice of termination for 2 weeks or immediately?

Also need a bit of help on the wording...

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    I say if you dont need the reference roll on. Is it the kind of company that would give you any notice if they found a new employee to replace you?

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Probably not. Its a family run business that operates out of a home office. :rolleyes:

4. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Are you within a 90 day probationary period, I always used this as an opportunity to gauge a new employer, the same way they would gauge me.

5. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Not sure, but I think so. I am definitely within 90 days of the initial hire date.

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

I always figure if they can release me with no reason then I could leave as well.

7. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Leave with class, give the two weeks. they may part sooner with you though once you tell.

8. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    do you ever see yourself coming back to this company? if not just leave, if so then take your 2 weeks

9. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I don't see myself working here again. And I'm waiting till I get a solid offer of employment before I leave. I'd like to give the 2 weeks, but if this other job is open and ready, I'm gonna take it.

10. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    i would do the same

11. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    oZmonKey

oZmonKey Big Metal Hubajube

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Black 98
    Unknown Spacer Lift.
    I'd give two weeks (only after I had a signed offer letter from the new company).

You never know where you might run into these people again, years from now, especially if it's in the same line of work.

12. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I do the hiring for my Company. I have always appreciated when someone says to me, I cant start for two weeks because i want to give my present employer notice.

It makes me feel like I am getting a quality person.

13. Jul 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    So you signed on to them without a formal offer of salary? I would have checked that out well before starting.

that being said, i'd take off if you found a better offer.

14. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    Please do not take it the wrong way but there is no such thing as free cheeze. My college roommate found out the hard way. He thought he would earn $100,000/yr with 0 years of experience fresh out of college. At current pace he is about 70 years away from making that much. So...

To employer it does not matter how long your history is/was in military service. They use that benchmark to gauge your discipline and not what they would pay you. In other words lets say you spend 20 years in the navy and wanted to be hired into flipping burgers. You will be more likely to get hired over a stoner but you will earn just as much as 16 year old kid still in high school.

When you got hired, your interviewer was correct in saying that we start most employees around base salary. What that means is that if your salary bracket is $20,000-$40,000 and you have 0 experience... you will start at $20,000. If you had some experience you might get $25,000. If you had a lot of experience you would get hired at whatever salary options you have negotiated on. When you signed on a dotted line you agreed to employment terms so from employer's perspective they have not done anything wrong.

P.S. Military experience "may" translate into bigger paycheck but it does not mean that it always will. Military skills, however may translate into establishing one's portfolio. For example many of navy's fighter pilots eventually become pilots for airlines.

In my personal experience speaking purely from observation AND also growing up in a military family... military experience does not often make one a better candidate. If it is within you to perform well AND have military experience. As a prospective employee... found it.. here is Disney's philosophy on hiring military veterans.

1. Leverage Their Military Experience to the Company and Job. Veterans need to translate their military skills to their businesses and organizations in a fashion that supports the culture and work practices of their company. First, they should sit down and describe one accomplishment they performed in the military, the problem it solved, and why it was successful. Second, they need to list the skills they used to accomplish the military task successfully. Third, they should list problems within the company that could be solved by using some or all of these skills. For example, maybe a veteran started a regular meeting of tribal elders or shopkeepers in his or her AO in Afghanistan to discuss problems and look for solutions. These meetings produced military skills sets of coordination, negotiation, planning, and leadership. Could the veteran set up a series of meetings with a company’s customers to generate ideas and discussion on what the company could provide in the future?
    2. Mentor an Individual or Group. Mentoring or coaching is a fantastic skill to help build talent, commitment, and initiative in an organization. In the military, performance counseling sessions was a way to identify the standard of the organization, how a soldier performed to that standard, and what step(s) would be taken to improve the soldier’s performance. This mentoring is invaluable in organizations to help new employees or employees with high potential develop. Ken Hicks, an Army veteran and the CEO of Foot Locker, stated, “So I learned that you’re very dependent on your people to be their best. You train and develop and motivate them.”
    3. Further Education One Class at a Time. Community colleges offer good overview business classes to improve baseline knowledge of business in such vital areas as Accounting, Finance, Statistics, or Applied Mathematics, and employers should encourage veterans to take courses. If possible, veterans should take them in person because fellow students, professors, and college staff are great resources for networking and are available if they need help. Veterans can benefit immensely by business education classes because this education is an additional tool to help them translate their military experience to a business.

15. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    ericb

ericb I'm a very neat monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dexter
    surface of the sun
    Vehicle:
    Truck So Good
    2 week notice. DO NOT burn bridges. You never know when the hiring manager may move to a new position with a new company and remember you were the guy that bailed on him in his last job when you are conveniently trying to apply there. It also shows your new potential employer you are not a douchebag and have professionalism.

16. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    Sorry to hear bout your situation bud. It looks like you've got all the advice you need, but I'll tie it all together in one post:

Secure your next job first. Ask the new employer if you can have 2 weeks to give proper notice to the current shithole.

If they say yes, go this route. Work your last 2 weeks and go quietly/respectfully.

If they say no, give 2 weeks notice to your current shithole anyway. Couple days later tell them look, I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but my new job needs me to start ______, and so, unfortunately, ______ will have to be my last day.

Make sure you send your supervisor a formal letter of resignation, and include in the letter a 'thanks for the opportunity' type of statement.

Keep in mind that the LE agencies will talk to all of your past employers...

Let us know how the job hunt goes!

17. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I recommend giving two weeks notice via a typed letter. As long as you have a job lined up, feel free to add a line stating if the current employer wishes to let you go early it would be appreciated, so you could start the new job sooner. Just mention to your current employer that you thank them for the opportunity to work with them, but you feel that the job wasn't what you had expected. If there is a possibility that you would be willing to stay with the company, try to speak with their human resources rep to voice your concerns. Unless you have another offer, don't play it out that you are looking to leave, but let them know that you feel that things weren't accurately explained to you during the interviews.

18. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders
    I wouldn't even worry about it, just pack up and head out, If someone has offered you more, then what reason do they need to keep you there. Your the only one thats gunna look out for you so do what needs to be done. They aren't going to be to happy but the way it sounds they don't give a crap...seeing as their employees and policies are crap as well. Sad to see that your having troubles in the civi world. Sorry man, i hope it works out for ya!

19. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Resignation letters are the easiest letters to write. Here's a few examples.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short and sweet. State the position you are resigning from and the day effective. (and keep a copy).

And if they ask for an exit interview, state your mind and your concerns regarding what you posted above but use tact.

20. Jul 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    Man of War

Man of War Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    What... it's a Tacoma
    "Winner... Dah"
    First, you should never be surprised by your amount of pay or benefits, you should receive an offer letter, an offer of employment stating exactly your job description and compensation, and benefits. If you don't receive this, or the employer doesn't have this type of document.... you're on your own.

Second, if you feel confident that your current employer is involved with unprofessional or unethical type practices, and you have other offers... see ya, don't let the door hit your ass.

To Top