1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for insight - Gov Job

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by GhostDog86, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jan 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    Hey guys, so I'm looking for some insight/opinions to try and help my wife and I make the best possible decision. Some background - So my wife is graduating in May with a bachelors in Business, I currently work for the state. I like my job and there is potential to move up and also there I have a pretty good retirement plan and benefits however its a 60 mile commute to and from. We both think that it would be more economical for us to both work for the state and within the same city. The conundrum we have is there may be an opportunity for her to get a job with the fed's, which is where her mother works. Now her mother is pushing really hard to work for the fed's because the pay is "so good" (her words), however the job is located 60 miles in the opposite direction to a city she hates driving to and she would have to work 8 additional years before retiring.

Im not to familiar with the fed's pay structure but what her mother says is that in an accelerated program she could go from a GS7 to a GS12 in as little as five years. Which on the one hand would be some awesome cash flow coming our way, but such a jump in pay seems almost unbelievable!? If its possible then it may be more beneficial to work for the fed's rather than the state but at the moment we are just up in the air about this. There are pros and cons to both. Any insight?

2. Jan 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    do both for a while, get econo cars/public transport. stick it out 1 year then decide
    many people have a worse commute

3. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I'm a federal employee with the FDIC. We are not on the GS pay scale, but I started at a CG7 in June 2009 and will be a CG12 in 12 months, so a little less than 5 years. So yes, it's possible.

There are some good and bad things about the federal government. Pay, benefits, and schedule are great, but red tape and a lack of common sense can be very frustrating.

4. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

My commute is 45 miles each way in Los Angeles traffic.
    60 miles in New Mexico is nothing ;)

5. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    50 miles in south Florida. Each way.

I'll match you, if nothing else :)

6. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    It is difficult to look that far down the road, but bite the bullet and do what is best for your retirement. I would also suggest that you and your wife seek out a good financial planner. it will make things better in the long run.

7. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Go Feds for now ... and GS 12 (Step 1) can come faster than 5 years. Plus most private companies can't beat the Feds for "bennies" i.e., retirement.

8. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    One perk to us working in the same city is we could commute together which would mean extra money for mods!!! But we have been thinking of giving it a try and if she doesn't like or whatever she can look for a job near me.

Well if I stay with the state and she goes to the fed's Ill retire at least 7-8 years before her, which is giving us more to think about.

9. Jan 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4

My wife (who worked for the state also) and I worked in different/seperate areas for several years after the kids left for college.....It's all about the retirement goal and what your future plans are.

And retiring 7 or 8 years befroe she does is not all bad.. :D

10. Jan 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    As long as the position is under that accelerated system it can be nice. And depending on the position, they will have to meet the goals to make it to the next level. I don't know what position it is but they can also skip some grades. My wife went from a 7 to a 9 to an 11 to a 12, I started as an 11 then 12 then 13. If you don't make a grade increase, you should still get the step increase also.
    Working for the feds I think gives me good job security and a pretty decent paycheck. I always hear that fed employees are overpaid and underworked, and while that may be true in some instances I work in a specialized field and if I were to go into private sector, I could probably double my income. But I have a family to think about and the benefits and job security are more important than the extra money when I laid the cards out on the table.

11. Jan 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    As long as the position is under that accelerated system it can be nice. And depending on the position, they will have to meet the goals to make it to the next level. I don't know what position it is but they can also skip some grades. My wife went from a 7 to a 9 to an 11 to a 12, I started as an 11 then 12 then 13. If you don't make a grade increase, you should still get the step increase also.
    Working for the feds I think gives me good job security and a pretty decent paycheck. I always hear that fed employees are overpaid and underworked, and while that may be true in some instances I work in a specialized field and if I were to go into private sector, I could probably double my income. But I have a family to think about and the benefits and job security are more important than the extra money when I laid the cards out on the table.

12. Jan 16, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    aaaand then TW decides to make me do a double post.

13. Jan 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    550kawirider

550kawirider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SR5 4X4 - Mag Grey
    Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 2 10'' Image Dynamics IQD.V4, JCV 2DIN, Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller, MB Quart ONXY Component speakers, OME 855 Coils, 5100's Front/Rear, 1/4 Taco Lean spacer Firestone Ride Rite Air bags, GloShift Dual Digital Air Guage/Needle Gauge, LotTek A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod, Powder Coated TRD Sport Rims, Coverking Seat Covers, Custom Interior Lighting, Custom TRD Sport Decals, Tint, In cab power outlet, Fog anytime mod, Backup camera anytime mod, Blue Sea Systems 6 bank fuse block w/ thermal switch, Viper 5901 Security/Remote Start, LED Bed Lights, Blacked out Badges, In-cab air bag controller, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Viair On-board Air System, Grover Semi truck air horn, Rhino Rack over bed rack system
    I work the the National Park Service (Feds) in San Francisco and on a GS schedule. The pay rate is based on the locality and the cost of living of that particular position. Depending on the position it is very easy to jump grades based on work performance/experience/ect... I love the public sector! In addition to 10 paid holidays off with the leave accrued during the year I only work 186 out of 365 days a year....Cant beat that! It is VERY hard for civilians with no veterans preference to land federal positions. Once you are in the Fed system as a perm employee you are in for life and free to move and transfer into other departments very easily.

14. Jan 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    "Slacker." JK, The Federal Jobs are all good until they want to start cutting budgets and all. The Feds make the money but never seem to last that long. The money always seems to disappear. My wife is a Federal Employee and the Benifits are wonderful, but the commute as you the OP ponders sucks. She drives 45 miles on way. I think for a short term goal it will be be good to stay local, more money for mods,.. Good luck and keep us posted.:D

15. Jan 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    550kawirider

550kawirider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryceson
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SR5 4X4 - Mag Grey
    Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, 2 10'' Image Dynamics IQD.V4, JCV 2DIN, Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller, MB Quart ONXY Component speakers, OME 855 Coils, 5100's Front/Rear, 1/4 Taco Lean spacer Firestone Ride Rite Air bags, GloShift Dual Digital Air Guage/Needle Gauge, LotTek A Pillar Dual Gauge Pod, Powder Coated TRD Sport Rims, Coverking Seat Covers, Custom Interior Lighting, Custom TRD Sport Decals, Tint, In cab power outlet, Fog anytime mod, Backup camera anytime mod, Blue Sea Systems 6 bank fuse block w/ thermal switch, Viper 5901 Security/Remote Start, LED Bed Lights, Blacked out Badges, In-cab air bag controller, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Viair On-board Air System, Grover Semi truck air horn, Rhino Rack over bed rack system
    I am the one in charge of the budget :D.... Now if you excuse me, I have a 3 day weekend to plan!

PS. GO 49'ers!:cool:

To Top