1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any LEO's out here?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Stillfly199, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 [OP] ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I know not a lot of cops, aside from Tigerfan, like to be known, just curious if there are any out there?

2. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I know theres a handful on TW. I see them around every once in a while.:cool:

3. Nov 13, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I guess we could put the mods in the LEO category, especially chris since he seems to piss people off lol

4. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I am a former LEO and proud of it.

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    doakes

doakes Well-Known Member

Member:
    LEO 19yrs plus.....

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Bravo Doakes. I have 4 years as an MP (army), 7 years as a civilian LEO, and 3 years working security for a local congressman.

7. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap
    Nice. Definitely appreciate all of your good service too, guys!

8. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    :confused: What?

9. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Making a career change from fire to law enforcemt, so thought I would see who in the TW family is an LEO

10. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    For banning people or closing their threads lol

11. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I havent banned anyone who wasnt deserving of it. And closing threads is what the Mods do if the thread is going to spiral out of control.

12. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I couldnt find the thread I was talking about, but I think it was started by this guy
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/60227-re-locked-thread.html

Oh no, I think what you guys do is awesome, just cracks me up when people dont understand that they cant do whatever they want on here. You guys do an awesome job of keeping the forum clean. Im mainly refering to how its like you guys are the cops around here and have to keep the peace.

13. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    He was justified in being mad at me. I forgot to send him a PM about why his thread was closed. :eek: We all make mistakes somtimes.

14. Nov 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    So how does everyone like being in law enforcement? How do/did your kids/family like it?

15. Nov 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Thanks, good luck to your cousin too. Im just trying to get more input on the whole family life. My mom has been a dispatcher in law enforcement so i have been exposed a little.

16. Nov 13, 2009 at 11:40 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ya, my family has always had those issues, my mom likes the graveyard or swing shift, and my dad has to leave at odd hours and I am used to getting in at all hours of the night from work. I dont think I could do a normal 9-5 job lol

17. Nov 14, 2009 at 2:01 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I really enjoyed it, left due to a medical problem. It can be stressful on the family especially your significant other if they are not familiar with that type of job. My ex-husband was a Marine while I was with the PD, so both of us understood the stresses that come with that kind of job.

I mean think about the things a cop sees/does each day then goes home to the family, those things aren't really normal over dinner type conversation topics. IMO it is hard for someone in LE to share their days with their families or to vent and release frustrations from the day. Would you want to hear about all the things your s/o was having to deal with every day? Or do you want your wife to hear about all the crazy things you had to do/see each day, you wouldn't want to worry or scare her. Some will say yes of course, but in reality you don't really want to know.

It's just my opinion that is takes a certain type of person to be a military/LE significant other and it takes a very strong relationship.

I don't think it is so hard on mothers/fathers/siblings cause those aren't the people you have to go home to everyday and share your life with. Of course they will worry, but its not the same for a wife/hubby.

But it is a very rewarding career and I respect everyone who chooses to do it, along with fire/medics/military etc.

Think about the reasons you want to be in LE, that will help if someone in your family is upset with your decision.

Good Luck :D

18. Nov 14, 2009 at 3:33 AM
    Robocop

Robocop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    After 13 years of night shift, with all of these in patrol, I must say it has its ups and downs. In one way it has made me very humble to appreciate the things I have as I see so many who struggle to just eat much less enjoy any luxuries.

The down side for me is that it has also made me very synical and even more so a very negative person. I find it very hard to go out and enjoy life as every person I see is a criminal in my mind. If I go grocery shopping for example and happen to see someone with a case of beer in their cart I will always assume they are a drunk. If I see two young kids walking to the park I quickly assume they are punks looking for trouble. It is hard to turn the negative side off simply because I see so many idiots on a nightly basis.

It has had a huge impact on my personal life and I am trying hard to not be one of those older officers who is always angry at the world. I know many old timers who you can not even have a normal conversation with. If you approach some officers and say simply "hows it going" you will get something like "typical crappy day and I hate this place"...."the world is being taken over by thugs"..."what do you care how its going"....well you get my point. Some officers allow the work to make them always bitter and at times this can get them fired for excessive force complaints.

Believe me it is hard to control yourself after you find yourself face to face with some punk who just raped or robbed some old lady. Every part of you wants to hurt them and with years of built up frustration it is easy to lose control. I feel sorry for some co-workers who I see struggle with their emotions yet it is very common in police work. I have seen friends killed and been to far more funerals that I would like to imagine. Sure people die every day however if involved in police work you will see it much more often than the civilian person.

On the good side however I get to drive a cool car around all day and rarely have to lift heavy objects. Believe it or not most people still respect the police and many will remind me daily of this....that also makes my job feel rewarding. I have lifelong friends and the brotherhood of blue will never let you down. I can, and have, changed peoples lives and even a few times saved someones life. The pay is decent for someone with only a high school diploma and I get to have a decent retirement if I make it 20 years.

For me the good is far much more than the bad and I still enjoy learning new things daily. It does take a certain type of person to deal with police work long term however again I believe it is a very rewarding career if you learn to shut certain parts off after your shift.

19. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:06 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    This ^^^ is so true for me and I was only doing it for 3 years. It took me awhile to accept the normal faults that everyone has, not that I thought I was perfect or anything. For example it was hard for me to accept someone with a minor criminal history into my life as open and willingly as someone not in LE would and they wouldn't even think twice about what this person was arrested for. A lot of people have been in jail at some point in time and are good people, I had to force myself to think like that. You see so much negative you start to exaggerate the negatives about people and overlook the positives, you forget that people make mistakes and can change and become better people. :eek: I used to be a very positive person, always looking to help someone who was struggling, compassionate, I lost a lot of that while I was on the PD, but gained some of it back over the years when I wasn't surrounded by cops anymore. It is a different world in the life of a cop. I don't think either of us are saying these things to scare anyone away from choosing the career, just being honest about what it has done to us. Of course everyone deals with things differently, so that is not saying all cops end up like that. But think about who cops are friends with...mostly just other cops ;).

Hope this wasn't confusing, I'm sleepy and just rambled....

20. Nov 14, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

Products Discussed in

To Top