Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

passed the PA state police written exam...

Old 06-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
passed the PA state police written exam...

Yo guys and gals....well i got my test results back today on the written test for the Pennsylvania State Police....i passed it, they took 2000 of the 4000 who qualified and sat for the exam and am moving onto the oral exam. From what I hear the written and oral tests are the hardest thing getting into the PSP other than being in academy. I just met a friend of mines buddy who is a trooper in PA and my other buddy who is a marine also passed the test but his brother didnt...but he said some of his marine buddies who are already troopers said the written and oral are the two hardest things and if you get through them you get in eventually.

Anyone on here have any pointers on the oral part of the exam?

Are there any Pa or other state police here with any advice???
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Get to know their department, their mission statement, stuff like that. They like hearing that stuff in the interview. Good luck man
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
TacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Name: steven
TacoSID138's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Get to know their department, their mission statement, stuff like that. They like hearing that stuff in the interview. Good luck man
x2 on this plus....
thats great due congrats. im trying for fire, and i hear the orals are pretty strict too. just remember the usual things, firm hand shakes, introduce your self to the baord or the interviewers. look eveyone in the eye. be confident in yourself. they aving you take a polygraph??
Old 06-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSID138 View Post
x2 on this plus....
thats great due congrats. im trying for fire, and i hear the orals are pretty strict too. just remember the usual things, firm hand shakes, introduce your self to the baord or the interviewers. look eveyone in the eye. be confident in yourself. they aving you take a polygraph??

thanks everyone...im pretty pumped for it all...i know its only the beginning of the process pretty much but its a start.

and yea i will have a polygraph eventually if i make it to that part.

il def look up and know all the department info and mission statement stuff.

apparently they want to just hear how you handle yourself in the oral test and see what you would say as a CIVILIAN not a LEO...its that and the fact that the two troopers who administer it are most likely highly trained and can cut through the BS that some will spill out and they will be able to tell if your lying or not....its all psych stuff ha
Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
This goes to the both of you, they will give you scenarios, just so they can see kind of how you think on your feet, and remember, your safety is always priority. Also, at the end they will ask you if you have anything to add, and make sure you thank them for their time and the opportunity to be there. Good luck to the both of you, I have worked in both fields, and both are great jobs.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
TacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the roughTacoSID138 is a jewel in the rough

EMS:
Name: steven
TacoSID138's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This goes to the both of you, they will give you scenarios, just so they can see kind of how you think on your feet, and remember, your safety is always priority. Also, at the end they will ask you if you have anything to add, and make sure you thank them for their time and the opportunity to be there. Good luck to the both of you, I have worked in both fields, and both are great jobs.
Cool that's good to know, thanks dude.

Good luck with the continuing process joel.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats and good luck.
I had just started testing for various departments when another opportunity came along. The oral exam can be nerve racking but if you have to do more than one you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Just be confident and 100% honest, even if you think they won't like the answer.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #9

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks for the info il definitely remember to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSID138 View Post
Cool that's good to know, thanks dude.

Good luck with the continuing process joel.
thanks steve! same to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horwitzs View Post
Congrats and good luck.
I had just started testing for various departments when another opportunity came along. The oral exam can be nerve racking but if you have to do more than one you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
Just be confident and 100% honest, even if you think they won't like the answer.
yea honesty is def the key....im positive they can tell if your blowing smoke out the ass while you there haha
Old 06-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Great another one!!
j/k Congrats man!!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #13

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys!.....not a trooper yet so i dunno about them tickets haha but im keeping my fingers crossed
Old 06-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Congratulations and good luck with the on-going process!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in
Buzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud ofBuzzoff has much to be proud of

Buzzoff's Tacoma Gallery
I've been in L.E. for 16 years and have been in front of numerous boards and have conducted several interviews myself. Here are some pointers...

Like many have said, be honest. Take your time answering and use common sense. If they ask you situational questions answer them to the best of your ability, and don't try to be a superhero. They want people who have the ability to recognize problems and are able to use common sense.

Also dress to impress. If you are able to wear a suit and tie, do so. Shine your shoes. I have interviewed many people for positions and although I may be looking for certain work habits/abilities, it does hold a lasting impression if they are unshaven and their clothes look like they've slept in them. Also shake their hands and thank them.

good luck
Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I went through the PA state police a few years ago before taking my current position w/ feds. My uncle was PA trooper until retirement. ANyway, I just wanted to wish you luck. PA was definitely the best group of guys to interview with. Just a great group of guys out there!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #18

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I went through the PA state police a few years ago before taking my current position w/ feds. My uncle was PA trooper until retirement. ANyway, I just wanted to wish you luck. PA was definitely the best group of guys to interview with. Just a great group of guys out there!
nice....what are you doing with the feds??? FBI?....my goal is to get to the FBI eventually later on. I just graduated with an accounting degree and i know its one of the qualifiers for special agent with the FBI. My plan is getting into law enforcement and then possibly applying in a few years. But hey if i were to make it as a trooper i think it would be really hard to leave.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #19

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
so im taking the US Capital Police test in DC on the 18th...think that should be a walk in the park compared to the troopers....

also met an IRS Special Agent last week....he is gonna keep an eye out for me and let me know when they are hiring (he said he was pretty sure they were not right now)

rode with a dude who's brother is a US Marshal....yea efing right...trying to get a hook up there but that will be near impossible without previous work. but hey its still a connection.

Im hoping something pans out...the PA troopers are def my number one choice I can tell ya that!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
Surfinpig is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: 88 MP is the patch but many other units
Name: Eric
Surfinpig's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck! Tell the truth and dont be wishy washy with answers. State is a great job but as penndot security get ready to make left turns and don't be a dick. Never forget were u came from.