Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Officer Down Memorial Page

Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #41
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wistv.com/story/15080668/...ed-in-shootout
LAURENS, SC (AP) - A Laurens County deputy has been shot and killed as officers went to a home during a murder investigation.

Sheriff Ricky Chastain said Deputy Roger Rice was shot and killed about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in Clinton.

Chastain says a man in the home shot Rice and a person in the home.

Rice was taken to Laurens County Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The sheriff says deputies returned fire and Benny Ray Brown, Jr. was wounded. Brown was taken to Greenville Memorial Hospital where he was being treated for injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.

Chastain says the other person in the house who was hit is expected to recover.

The sheriff says Rice was in his late 20s and had been with the department since January 2010.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #42
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wlwt.com/news/28780248/detail.html

A police officer working a funeral detail was killed Friday after colliding with a hearse in the procession.Police said Roy Sims, 51, was at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery on Montgomery Road when his motorcycle collided with the hearse.

RIP Officer Sims.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #43
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
http://www.wlwt.com/news/28780248/detail.html

A police officer working a funeral detail was killed Friday after colliding with a hearse in the procession.Police said Roy Sims, 51, was at the Gate of Heaven Cemetery on Montgomery Road when his motorcycle collided with the hearse.

RIP Officer Sims.

Very very sad way to go. Thoughts and prayers with the family of both persons, the funeral and the officer.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Very very sad way to go. Thoughts and prayers with the family of both persons, the funeral and the officer.
yeah it sure is. I had just passed by there right after everything got cleaned up and thought it was odd seeing a Sheriff there... now I know why.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #45
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like it when this thread comes up on my "subscribed threads" page...
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #46

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
no kidding. I never like seeing this thread pop up.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #47
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
no kidding. I never like seeing this thread pop up.
x3, I wonder who its gonna be and where. Not a good feeling. Although I was the one that started it....I did start it for a reason.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #48

Firefighter:
Quote:
x3, I wonder who its gonna be and where. Not a good feeling. Although I was the one that started it....I did start it for a reason.
I think it is a good thread to have. Gives a good wake up call that something could happen at any point in time. Gotta be safe out there.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #49
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.plus613.com/image/36691

Each time I see this it just fills me up with rage.
Why even give the driver a chance to "drop the weapon"? He exited the vehicle with it in hand...kill him. Enough said
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #50

Law Enforcement:
Police Officer
Sherman Abrams
New York City Police Department, New York

End of Watch: Monday, September 12, 2011

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 4 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Heart attack
Date of Incident: September 12, 2011
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available

Agency Contact Information
Commissioner Raymond Kelly
New York City Police Department
1 Police Plaza
Room 1320
New York, NY 10038

Phone: (646) 610-6700
Police Officer Sherman Abrams passed away following a training run along the East River with his academy class. He collapsed shortly after the run finished.

He was transported to Beth Israel Hospital where he passed away.

Officer Abrams had served with the New York City Police Department for two months and had previously served with the New York City Department of Corrections for four years.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #51

Law Enforcement:
Stay fit, stay healthy. This officer could have been in a foot pursuit of a dangerous suspect, I hope this reminds us all of the possibilities and the necessities for our jobs in the LE/EMS line of work.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #52

Firefighter:
Quote:
Stay fit, stay healthy. This officer could have been in a foot pursuit of a dangerous suspect, I hope this reminds us all of the possibilities and the necessities for our jobs in the LE/EMS line of work.
x2. Number one cause of death for firefighters is heart attack. 28 years old though. so sad.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #53

Law Enforcement:
Sergeant
Joseph Szczerba
New Castle County Police Department, Delaware

End of Watch: Friday, September 16, 2011

Biographical Info
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Stabbed
Date of Incident: September 16, 2011
Weapon Used: Edged weapon; Knife
Suspect Info: Apprehended

Agency Contact Information
Colonel Michael McGowan
New Castle County Police Department
3601 N DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720

Phone: (302) 395-8100
Sergeant Joe Szczerba was fatally stabbed while struggling with a suspect shortly after midnight.

Sergeant Szczerba had responded to backup other officers who were searching for a disorderly man near Penn Acres Park. He located the man at the East Roosevelt Avenue and Fithian Drive and, after a short foot chase, began to struggle with him. During the struggle the subject pulled out a knife and stabbed Sergeant Szczerba in the neck.

Other officers were able to take the subject into custody. Sergeant Szczerba was transported to Christiana Hospital where he succumbed to the wound.

Sergeant Szczerba had served with the New Castle County Police Department for 18 years.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #54
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
We lost a fellow Arizona Brother this morning from a shoot out last night. Officer Brad Jones, Glendale Police Department. EOW 10/29/11. Go with God Brother.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #55
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rocky
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
^^ sorry to hear that brother. thoughts and prayers are with ya'll and his family
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #56

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinal1223 View Post
We lost a fellow Arizona Brother this morning from a shoot out last night. Officer Brad Jones, Glendale Police Department. EOW 10/29/11. Go with God Brother.
Very sorry to hear that Curt.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #57
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear that man. We lose way too many down here.

Hope the shooter didnt make it
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #58
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The one thread on this site that I hate to see growing. For all our fallen officers out there, God Speed. For all our current LEO Members, PLEASE be safe.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #59
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
I worked for OPD for 2 years (civilian employee)...

One of the kindest officers/sergeants there... Regardless how his day would go he never let it get him down and he was a excellent father, His little girl was always happy and so well behaved.
http://www.odmp.org/officer/19881-se...-takashi-sakai

Hege never really stood out to me, He was quite sarcastic and a realist and was pretty nice guy, By his wishes he had donated his organs and tissue to help other people... A hero in life and in death.
http://www.odmp.org/officer/19882-po...n-raymond-hege

They didn't go alone unfortunately, Ofc. Hege and Sgt.Dunakin pulled over a suspect who then opened fire killing Dunakin and wounding Hege (who died 2 days later), The suspect (Lovelle Nixon) then locked himself in his sisters apartment, When SWAT entered he shot through the closet door with a assault rifle killing Sgt.Sakai and Sgt.Romans... Other officers shot back killing Lovelle.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #60
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Time to update this page again For the month of Nov 2011 and beginning of Dec 2011

Police Officer
Daniel Clark
San Bernardino Police Department, California

End of Watch: Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 25 years
Badge # Not available
Cause: Duty related illness
Incident Date: 1/18/2011
Weapon: Not available
Suspect: Not available

Police Officer Daniel Clark passed away as the result of complications from surgery to correct a duty-related injury.

He had had injured his ankle in January, while involved in a foot pursuit. He underwent surgery for the injury in October and was recovering at home when he suffered what is believed to be a pulmonary embolism. He was transported to a local hospital where he passed away.

Officer Clark had served with the San Bernardino Police Department for 20 years and had previously served with the Garden Grove Police Department for five years. He is survived by his wife and daughter.

-----

Detective
Michael Morgan
Newark Police Department, New Jersey

End of Watch: Monday, November 7, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 6 years, 6 months
Badge # 43
Cause: Gunfire
Incident Date: 11/7/2011
Weapon: Handgun
Suspect: Charged with murder

Detective Michael Morgan was shot and killed while attempting to take action during a robbery while he was off duty in Paterson, New Jersey.

He and several friends were visiting a club on Straight Street. While outside, speaking to an employee, a suspect approached and attempted to rob the two at gunpoint. Detective Morgan attempted to take action but was shot once in the side as he reached for his weapon.

Responding units from the Paterson Police Department transported Detective Morgan to a nearby hospital where he succumbed to his wound.

The suspect fled the scene, however, the shooter and his girlfriend were arrested two days later in a hotel near Philadelphia. Both have been charged with felony murder, robbery, and weapons charges in the death of Detective Morgan.

Detective Morgan had served with the Newark Police Department for 6-1/2 years.

-----

Detective
R. Shane Wilson
Doraville Police Department, Georgia

End of Watch: Monday, November 14, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 4 years
Badge # 1143
Cause: Vehicular assault
Incident Date: 11/14/2011
Weapon: Automobile; Alcohol involved
Suspect: Injured

Detective Shane Wilson was killed when his vehicle was struck head-on by a drunk driver on I-20 in DeKalb County.

He was off duty, but on call as part of his department's SWAT team, when he was contacted by dispatchers and directed to respond to a home invasion call in Doraville. The collision occurred as he drove to the crime scene. He succumbed to his injuries at the scene of the crash.

Detective Wilson had served with the Doraville Police Department for four years. He is survived by his wife, 8-year-old-son, and parents.

-----

Police Officer
James Capoot
Vallejo Police Department, California

End of Watch: Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 21 years
Badge # 497
Military veteran
Incident Date: 11/17/2011
Weapon: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect: Apprehended

Officer James Capoot was shot and killed during a foot pursuit of bank robbery suspects following a high-speed chase.

Officer Capoot pursued the suspect vehicle through a residential area, where he executed a PIT maneuver and disabled the suspect vehicle. He pursued the suspect on foot until he was shot several times while in the back yard of a residence.

He was transported to Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, where he succumbed to his wounds.

The suspect was arrested near the scene.

Officer Capoot was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran. He had served the Vallejo Police Department for 19 years and had previously served with the California Highway Patrol for two years. He is survived by his wife and three daughters.

-----

Agent
Mariano Rodríguez-Maldonado
Puerto Rico Police Department, Puerto Rico

End of Watch: Monday, November 21, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 7 years
Badge # 33227
Cause: Automobile accident
Incident Date: 11/21/2011

Agent Mariano Rodríguez-Maldonado was killed in an automobile accident as he and his partner responded to a call in Luquillo at approximately 3:30 am.

He and his partner were responding to a call involving a mental patient causing a disturbance at a gas station. They were traveling along PR-3 when their patrol car left the roadway at the intersection of Fortuna and struck the highway divider, which impaled the vehicle's passenger side. Agent Rodríguez-Maldonado, who was riding as the passenger, suffered fatal injuries. His partner suffered severe leg injuries.

Agent Rodríguez-Maldonado had served with the Puerto Rico Police Department for seven years. He is survived by his wife and three children.

-----

Correctional Officer
Buddy Ray Herron
Oregon Department of Corrections, Oregon

End of Watch: Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Badge # Not available
Military veteran
Cause: Stabbed
Incident Date: 11/28/2011
Weapon: Edged weapon; Knife
Suspect: Charged with murder

Correctional Officer Buddy Herron was assaulted and fatally stabbed along Highway 11, two miles north of Pendleton, shortly after 11:00 pm.

It is believed that he had stopped to assist at the scene of a single car accident while en route to begin his shift at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution. At some point after stopping he was stabbed by the driver, who then stole Officer Herron's pickup truck. Despite his wound, Officer Herron was able to call 911. Responding units transferred him to St. Anthony's Hospital where he succumbed to his wound shortly after midnight.

The suspect was arrested in the vehicle early the next morning following a vehicle pursuit. He has been charged with parole violations and murder. It was determined that the vehicle he had originally crashed was stolen and had been involved in a burglary earlier in the evening.

Officer Herron had served with the Oregon Department of Corrections for four years and had previously served with the Arizona Department of Corrections. He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy Reserve and also served as a volunteer firefighter. He is survived by his wife and four children.

-----

Chief of Police
Jerry E. Hicks, Sr.
Leadwood Police Department, Missouri

End of Watch: Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 25 years
Badge # 701
Military veteran
Cause: Automobile accident
Incident Date: 11/29/2011

Chief of Police Jerry Hicks succumbed to injuries sustained six days earlier when his patrol car collided with a tree at the intersection of Route 8 and Railroad Road, in Washington County, at about 6:30 am.

He was driving to the Potosi Correctional Center to pickup an inmate work crew when the vehicle slid on a patch of ice on a highway bridge, causing it to leave the roadway. The vehicle collided with the tree on the passenger side.

Chief Hicks was flown to a hospital in Creve Couer, where he remained unconscious until succumbing to severe head injuries.

Chief Hicks was a U.S. Army Reserves and U.S. Navy veteran and had served in law enforcement for 25 years. Prior to joining the Leadwood Police Department, he had served with the St. Francois County Sheriff's Office, Ste. Genevieve County Sheriff's Office, and the Elvins Police Department. He is survived by his two adult children, five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

-----

Police Officer I
Deriek W. Crouse
Virginia Tech Police Department, Virginia

End of Watch: Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Badge # Not available
Military veteran
Incident Date: 12/8/2011
Weapon: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect: Committed suicide

Officer Deriek Crouse was shot and killed while making a traffic stop in the parking lot of the university's Cassell Coliseum, near McComas Hall, at approximately 12:15 pm.

At some point during the stop, a suspect unrelated to the traffic stop approached his unmarked car and shot him once in the head as he sat in his vehicle. The suspect was located in the university's I-Lot approximately 45 minutes later and committed suicide as officers attempted to contact him.

Officer Crouse was a U.S. Army veteran and had served with the Virginia Tech Police Department for four years. He had previously served with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office and New River Valley Regional Jail. He is survived by his wife, five children, mother, and brother.

-----

Deputy Sheriff
Rick Rhyne
Moore County Sheriff's Office, North Carolina

End of Watch: Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bio & Incident Details
Tour: 37 years
Badge # Not available
Incident Date: 12/8/2011
Weapon: Handgun
Suspect: Committed suicide

Deputy Sheriff Rick Rhyne was shot and killed after responding to investigate reports of trespassing at a home on Morrison Bridge Road.

While questioning two brothers he learned that one of them had a warrant for outstanding child support. As he attempted to place the man under arrest the man fatally shot him with a handgun. The suspect then committed suicide.

Deputy Rhyne had served with the Moore County Sheriff's Office for four years and had a total of 37 years in law enforcement. He had previously served with the Pinehurst Police Department and as police chief of the Foxfire Police Department. He is survived by his wife, son, and two grandchildren.