Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Quick decisions

Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Quick decisions

You pull up to a 2 story house your called around back for help,

You run back and there is a kid drowning in the pool, they say its 12ft deep.

Do you jump in with all your gear on? Do you drop your gear? What about your gun?

Also explain please, I was asked this question today by a officer and I was told my answer was not bad, but i realized it was a hard question haha
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold

1FASTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Does the person drowning owe you money?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTACO View Post
Does the person drowning owe you money?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
desmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant futuredesmo2 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: State Trooper
Name: Dave
desmo2's Tacoma Gallery
I sure as hell wouldn't be able to watch the kid drown. I would kick off the boots, drop the belt, and go in. I would hate to waste time stripping down, but I won't do the kid any good if I jump in and go straight to the bottom.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold1FASTACO is a splendid one to behold

1FASTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I would ask for the assistance of the parents, look for a hose, have them grab the hose, I'll get the other end and jump in with gear. Guns, uniforms etc, are replacable, that kid is not. If I had time to kick off gear I would, but it doesn't take long to drown.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If there is a kid drowning, chances are there is a floatie of some kind around, you can use that as well.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
How old is the kid and how big is he? Is he at the surface actively struggling or not moving? Is he conscious enough to be able to grab onto a pole or something similar? I'm thinking that it it's a small child, I'm jumping in. Just ditching my radio and cell phone first. All the other stuff I carry can get wet.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Go in. We have many pool drownings here in Florida. You go in. 12 Ft. is deep but have you ever swam with all your gear on. It's not bad for the couple of seconds you will be in the pool. You can also drop gear in the pool if it's too much.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinal1223 View Post
How old is the kid and how big is he? Is he at the surface actively struggling or not moving? Is he conscious enough to be able to grab onto a pole or something similar? I'm thinking that it it's a small child, I'm jumping in. Just ditching my radio and cell phone first. All the other stuff I carry can get wet.
If you carry a taser i'd ditch that too...I've seen a couple malfunction just from rain
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Radio and phone get tossed to the ground, gun stays with you. If it looks safe you jump in, no question.

But first you put on your cape and tell the bystanders to film you- its hero time bitches!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
Radio and phone get tossed to the ground, gun stays with you. If it looks safe you jump in, no question.

But first you put on your cape and tell the bystanders to film you- its hero time bitches!

Hmmmmmm.....very interesting.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Quote:

I said something like that and he said that was a good choice.

I told him I wouldn't feel *right* dropping my gun where others could get to it, crazy people out there.....
Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
I said something like that and he said that was a good choice.

I told him I wouldn't feel *right* dropping my gun where others could get to it, crazy people out there.....

I would agree with this. And if I were asked this question and my answer was questioned ('wouldn't your gun get damaged'? kinda thing) I'd state that Id rather have my gun, taser, etc. damaged and in my possesion than leave them where someone else could get em...

When you do interviews you will probably be asked a lot of questions like this (i was). They want to see common sense, good judgement, sound reasoning, etc. -not "it's hero time, bitches!!"

Keep in mind that you wont be expected to have specific knowledge/training/experience, so they're really looking for the judgement and thought process. Another example (i was asked this):

You pull a car over and the driver refuses to roll down the window, and after asking him several times to roll down his wondow, he simply flips you the bird. How do you proceed?

My answer today- let him know I'm gunna yank him outta that car and make him my bitch if he doesnt roll his f*ckin window down. Then if he doesnt (which when they asked me, they followed up by saying he is still non-compliant) I call for back-up, and upon arrival, break his passanger window out, yank him out of the car and give him some stick time.

My answer in the interview was of course completely different
Even though they know thats what you will do, they dont want you to tell them that in the interview.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #15
2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold2010nctaco is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement: Trooper
Name: Blake
2010nctaco's Tacoma Gallery
When I went though patrol school we had a swift water rescue class where we had to tread water with a weighted belt on to simulate our duty gear. I treaded water for about 30 sec. Moral of the story. Don't switch. With it on. If your worried about your gun throw it in the pool so no one grabs it and jump in after the kid.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
My department actually teaches water survival and training in our in-service. With todays vest being built the way they are they will actually hold air for the first couple of minutes you are in the water helping you float. As someone else mentioned earlier if you are too heavy or getting tired you can start shedding gear as needed. Radios and other electronics can be replaced, officers and civilians we are out to protect can't be. If you work in an area where there are lots of pools and or open water definitely look into taking a training class. They taught us alot of survival and self defense techniques. Also a word to the wise, when you jump in with all that weight on make sure you take a big breath!! The first time we jumped in it was in the deep end and I took a normal breath and jumped. Needless to say as I hit the bottom like a ton of bricks my first thought was I wish I would have taken a bigger breath, followed by kick off the bottom hard!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #17
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I'd take off my radio and cell and jump in. That way at least I can maintain contact with dispatch. Everything else can get wet.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Ditch gun belt, it's a decent chunk of dead weight and pretty easy to ditch quickly, and jump in. If it's a bad neighborhood, tossing your weapon in with you might not be a bad idea like a previous poster mentioned.

I would hope whoever called 911 would be trying to assist as well.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #19
Bee22971 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: VCMO
Name: Garth
Bee22971's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That's awesome! There is a 211 investigator who I know would do this.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #20
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
I'd drop my belt, too much weight there (Gun, Taser, radio, etc.). Probably kickoff my boots too, I wear side-zip 5.11's so that would only take a few more seconds. Wouldn't do the kid any good if I sank like a rock so I'd try to lose as much weight as fast as possible. I weigh something like 250 lbs with all my gear on. I can understand other guy's responses too but I think that's what I'd do.