Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Questions for LEO's about a traffic stop

Old 08-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Questions for LEO's about a traffic stop

so my wife told me this story about a guy she used to work with and my first reaction was to call bull shit on the guy, but i wanted to get the professional opinion.

so here goes....

in las vegas, this guy was driving home and noticed that a cop was following him for about mile or so, but he hadnt flashed his lights yet. when the guy finally got about a block from his house, the cop did flash his lights, but the guy did not pull over and decided to drive all the way to his house. when he got there, he clicked open the garage door, drove in, and closed the garage door leaving the cop outside. from what this guy said, he just went into his house and the cop didnt try knocking on the door or pursuing the matter further. he bragged about some "homestead" law saying that the cop would have needed a search warrant to pursue him.

thats were i call bull shit. it seems to me that the guy was evading the police.

so what do you LEO's have to say about it? if you were trying to make a traffic stop and the individual fled into his house, would you just say "oh well" and leave?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
To me it does not sound like the cop was trying to pull him over. If he was and had lights and sirens blaring thats a different storey. I have had that happen to me I kicked the door in and got my guy. Thats a felony here. Dude we have led lights all over our cars that can be seen for miles and sirens are damn loud. I could not imagine anyone not knowing they are being pulled over.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRBm...yer_detailpage
Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I just now saw this. There are multiple factors in this kind of situation. I do not know about NV, but in CA if someone runs from you we are allowed to pursue into the residence, BUT we have lost a lot of officers to incidents just like that. I had a situation just like the one you are talking about and we called multiple units in and surrounded the residence. But yes, you can go in the residence, you dont need a warrant if there is immediate danger to Property, destruction of evidence, evading of the suspect, or life in danger.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
I just now saw this. There are multiple factors in this kind of situation. I do not know about NV, but in CA if someone runs from you we are allowed to pursue into the residence, BUT we have lost a lot of officers to incidents just like that. I had a situation just like the one you are talking about and we called multiple units in and surrounded the residence. But yes, you can go in the residence, you dont need a warrant if there is immediate danger to Property, destruction of evidence, evading of the suspect, or life in danger.
^^^ This.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
humphrey242 is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
humphrey242's Tacoma Gallery
In Alabama we have exergent circumstances that would allow us to make entry into a residence without the need of a search warrant, hot pursuit being one of them. If a subject flee's in an attempt to avoid law enforcement (arrest) we have the right to kick the door down after he's just shut it. Now if the subject went inside and the officer decided to come back later, that would be illegal and need a search warrant.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
ftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Name: K
ftttu's Tacoma Gallery
I stopped a guy once in front of his house. While I was running him, he took off and ran into his house. He did have traffic warrants but the kind we won't deal with unless there are many of them. I couldn't make contact with him that day at his house so I just worked up the warrant on him. I followed up a few times but I never located him. I'm sure he had been picked up by other officers over time and who knows what had happened to the case. But in reference to the actual poster, I would have done something similar as what I had already posted above.

P.S. Here in Texas, there is a traffic statute about attempting to elude police and there is a criminal law about fleeing. The traffic law is just a misdemeanor but if you flee in your vehicle, it is a felony. Don't run and just take your lumps.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #9
leveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shedleveltwo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
leveltwo's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your wife's friend is a dbag and no, there is no homestead rule.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
In determining whether you have the authority to follow someone into their house for a traffic violation doesn't it matter that a traffic citation is a civil, non-criminal offense? No one's life or property is in danger.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
ftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Name: K
ftttu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
In determining whether you have the authority to follow someone into their house for a traffic violation doesn't it matter that a traffic citation is a civil, non-criminal offense? No one's life or property is in danger.
I'm not following someone into their house for a misdemeanor traffic violation but If for some reason, I have good reason that the guy was running inside to get rid of something like drugs, weapons, stolen property, etc, I may go after him. Those are considered "exigent" circumstances. If was in pursuit of someone who was driving a motor vehicle, since it is a felony here in the Great State of Texas, I can chase him into his house and arrest. Basically, misdemeanor(with no exigent circumstances)-no, felony-yes.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
If you run from the cops, you are trying to hide something, and it usually is not because you just dont want the $200 fine, it is usually because you are wanted for one reason or another. It is still considered running from the cops and is an arrestable offense, so I would just call for back up and keep eyes on the house.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
heres my view...how would you know the house he is running into is his. bad guys usually don't drive their own cars
Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming you were able to get the tag and run it I would think having the address on the registration match the address I had just followed him to would be an indicator that it probably is not a bad guy.

It's a tough call either way.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
elicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement: Constable
elicitone's Tacoma Gallery
I find it interesting to see the different ways things are handled from state to state. And the different authorities officers have.

Here in Ontario and the rest of Canada. Driving is a privelage and not a right. Drivers are required to stop for police(period)! Failing to do so is an arrestable offence. Drivers can be stopped for a myriad of reasons, usually it is in relation to a traffic offence. But there are 4 specific reasons granted to us that allow us to stop anyone at anytime without requiring them to have committed an offence. 1.Driver sobriety 2. Prove they are Licenced 3. Prove they are Insured 4. Ensure the vehicle is mechanically fit.

Every driver is further required to identify themself upon being stopped or they can be arrested.

As someone above mentioned already, FRESH PURSUIT! Whether criminal at the outset or not, criminallity is assumed when you run and intentionally evade. Not to mention the criminal offence of Flight.

We can and I have follow you into your home. Nothing more fun then turning a door frame to splinters and then arresting an idiot and laying thousands of dollars in fines on him. Specially when if the guy stopped when indicated they would have gotten a $110 ticket for a stop sign or maybe even a warning...
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
U.S. Supreme Court ruling from the 70's extablished that once an officer has attempted to effect an arrest on a person outside a residence, they may enter the residence to place the person in custody without consent or a warrant.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
hmm...I did the same thing recently but not intentionally and he didn't put his lights on. I was driving home from mowing a client's lawn, I passed a sheriff about a mile from my neighborhood going the opposite direction. I kept going (never saw him turn around) I pulled into my neighborhood, opened my garage door, then backed my trailer into the garage. When I turned my head around after backing the trailer in, there was a sheriff sitting in front of my driveway. He didn't get out of his car though, He waived me to over to his car. Apparently he noticed I didn't have a tag on my trailer (New trailer I just bought) when he passed me.