Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Quick Question for LEO's

Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #22
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
I think my wifes issue with it is that they will only eat in only the places that they know they will get free food ( not that any of them need it ) lol. Heck we have to go out of the county and eat so this issue would not arise, and she dont want to give the impression that she favours one resturant over another. Plus we can eat in PEACE and no one asks work questions
Ok this annoyed me a bit.
How does "your wife" KNOW they ONLY go to places that give them free food? How does she KNOW they don't go to these places because it's about the only places they trust to go to??

Our officers have to be selective of where they eat around here. The deputies on my shift love Chinese and go to the same restaurant because they trust it and are treated good. He only charges them for their drinks (they get buffet) and they all leave big tips. (I KNOW this since my boyfriend is one of those deputies and i've eaten there with them a time or two)

Now EMS we had some morons who abused it. The hospital use to give us free food until one crew went 3 times a day every day. Even put on their uniform and go when they weren't working. They killed that privileged. It was nice for those times you were strapped for cash (we don't make crap as EMTs) I didn't go there too often - was a bit tired of being at hospitals.

I mean whatever your wife wants to do works.. but don't judge others for doing things differently. And don't jump to conclusions either....
Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #23
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
Several places where I work offer discounts. I have my own rules:

-Never ask about or for a discount
-If I'm given a discount, I substantially boost the tip
-I vary the places I eat based on what I want to eat, not discounts
-My enforcement practices are not affected by the business offering discounts. My integrity is not for sale.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #24
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post

-My enforcement practices are not affected by the business offering discounts. My integrity is not for sale.
Same here. Many places give discounts but I never ask for them. If they give one ok but if not oh well I will not ask. Most gas stations will do free coffee and fountain drinks. Especially on nights since they know you need to be awake.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
TX Pro
WEZZA83 is on a distinguished road

Name: Wes
WEZZA83's Tacoma Gallery
Right.. Who asks for discounts? ChicFilA around my way gives any where from 50% to free, but we did catch the guy who robbed them... Like others have said normally we don't go to the places that give the discount, we go to the places we trust or we can watch our food being made. Not everyone likes Police and I don't wanna eat spit like Ofc Farva!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #26
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Dept. policy says you may accept a discount but never accept free. I bring my food from home do I don't have this problem. As far as quickie mart/7-11 type of stores offering discounts on coffee, soda, etc. it happends but I don't go in there expecting it.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #27
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
I still pay for it. Few places do it, usually mom and pop shops
Old 01-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #28
draddots is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Dan
draddots's Tacoma Gallery
Receiving free food makes me uncomfortable. I never ask for free food or a discount, if it is given to me I still offer to pay. When/ if my offer is refused I tip an amount that is equal to the cost of my meal or pay for the persons meal behing me inline if it is fast food. I also makes sure that I don't eat too frequently at the places that give discounts.
In any profession there are people who abuse things, just so happens that law enforcement is always in the public eye and under a microscope.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by draddots View Post
Receiving free food makes me uncomfortable. I never ask for free food or a discount, if it is given to me I still offer to pay. When/ if my offer is refused I tip an amount that is equal to the cost of my meal or pay for the persons meal behing me inline if it is fast food. I also makes sure that I don't eat too frequently at the places that give discounts.
In any profession there are people who abuse things, just so happens that law enforcement is always in the public eye and under a microscope.
True and there are guys who routinely go to places because its free. I know one guy from another PD that goes to the same Wendy's almost every shift. I saw him there one time and asked him why he was going in, not using the drive thru. He said "cause its free if you go in". Loser.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #30
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Only thing we can accept is the free coffee (one cup) that the shopettes give us.

Helps the night crew stay awake and the employees like it when we stop in and keep a presence in the area.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #31
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Who cares if an officer eats for free? Why on earth does your wife care? I avoid places that dont offer discounts or free food... the employees are often anti police in such establishments. I don't ask for a discount and pay full price if they charge me. I do not see any ethical issue here.

Oh, forgot to add... my coworker goes where the attractive waitresses are. Does the restaraunt have a cute waitress? Perhaps your wife thinks that is unethical too.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
I think my wifes issue with it is that they will only eat in only the places that they know they will get free food ( not that any of them need it ) lol. Heck we have to go out of the county and eat so this issue would not arise, and she dont want to give the impression that she favours one resturant over another. Plus we can eat in PEACE and no one asks work questions
It must be nice to eat in peace with your wife. I have sit facing the door and check to see who's in the resturant before I order with my wife..

I wonder if those four officers in Seattle were sucking down free coffee when they were gunned down.

I pack my meal every night I work. I learned quickly that there are nights when a sit down meal is not going to happen. A sit down meal is an every now and then treat when the call volume permits it. As far as what I pay for my meal, that's MY business. What other perks do we get in this field? High divorce rate, high suicide rate, a heart attack a few years after retirement?

I'll take my free cup of 7/11 coffee to go please.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
ftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Name: K
ftttu's Tacoma Gallery
The convenience stores allow us free fountain drinks/coffee but that doesn't mean that if we get a hamburger down the road, that we can run into a 7-11, grab a free drink and then take off. The store clerks want us around. Same thing with a few restaurants we go to. They won't give us free meals but we regularly get half off. Many of these restaurants want our security, plus, many believe if a cop eats there that they get free advertising, believing patrons will stop thinking that if a cop is eating there, it must be good. Our policy is against all of this but we can't make these establishments stop doing what they want.

P.S. We eat a lot at a restaurant that doesn't give us any break just because it is more convenient and has good food.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #34
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, ENS 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Most departments have a "no free stuff" policy and I agree with that. If a police officer was to have "free stuff" forced upon him, I feel he should leave a tip for the amount of the meal. It's hard enough for cops to keep a positive image without people thinking they're abusing system.

Funny story though, I heard some guy used to go to a convenience store and the owner would never let him pay, not even tip. When the officer insisted, the owner would say "Sorry, it's sale. Start now, end now." I don't know why but I always thought that was funny.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
General rule in NY is what ever the discount, the server gets as tip. The owner might be able to afford to give his stuff away, but the server is working for a reason. Never stiff them-they handle your food.
Second rule is to only eat where you are comfortable. If the owner expects anything in return (favors), don't go there. If you insist on paying and owner insists that you don't;don't go there.
Most cops only eat where they are comfortable and trust the employees. thats why they eat in groups, there aren't a lot of places to choose from.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
elicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement: Constable
elicitone's Tacoma Gallery
I usually bring my own meals as I routinely don't get a break. There are several places that will gladly give us free meals and admittedly there are those that abuse it. But most will leave generous tips. And not sure where you live, but other sunday morning breakfasts on day shift I can count on my fingers the number of sit down meals I have had time for while working. lol

Only things I take for free at work, 7/11 offers free fountain drink to us. I ride a mountain bike about 80% of the year at work so always have my own bottle to fill. Also store owner has told us this is his policy and backed by all his employees. The store is in the middle of a giant public housing project with a 2100+ student high school across the street. They want as many officers as often as possible at their store. And according to him the drinks are virtually pure profit if you don't take a cup..

McDonalds offers free coffee (and food) to walk in officers. I don't eat there, but am addicted to their new coffee. I use a refillable coffee mug as often as possible and as I ride most of the time, I usually end up sitting down to drink it. BTW the McD's is about a block from the above 7/11. Lots of unsavory customers so the more police the better as far they are concerned.

I feel most people, possibly the OP's wife have a misguided view of the police. May seem there are so many of them eating for free because they are so visible. Im sure there are far more days she doesnt see them then when she does. Not to mention she is probably the exception to the rule for Health Inspectors. After 10 years in my neighbourhood and getting to know most of the business owners. I can tell you as a group they are a pretty corrupt bunch with an attitude of entitlement like no other..
Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #38
tango59 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post

EXACTLY....+ Most depts aren't required to give sworn employees ANY breaks, lunch or any others. There's no way in hell I'm sitting down to a $15 meal only to jump up and leave it for a hold-up or some other call.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #39
dmorenoprieto is on a distinguished road
Name: Diego
dmorenoprieto's Tacoma Gallery
This usually depends on dept. policy and culture. I know it's a lot more common on the east coast to get stuff for free (meals, coffee). I don't see it as a huge deal but I am used to paying for everything I eat, drink, buy so I personally don't do it. As one of the posters already said, it can become an issue if there is some sort of retribution afterwards (not getting arrested, not getting a ticket, etc).

Bottom line, there are a lot of cops that do it and don't take advantage of it as well as lot of cops who take advantage of it and cops who don't do it at all.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #40
Daxom is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Sergeant, Field Training Officer
Name: Rob
Daxom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
I personally don't have an issue with officers accepting a free meal. We don't have a policy reguarding the issue other than no bars and no more than 3 cars at the resaraunt. We have thousands of places to eat in orlando. Police officers in this area work 12hr shifts and are hard working. most officers take between 150 and 200 calls for service each month with an additional 100 plus traffic contacts. Time to eat is at a premium. Most places love to have officers in thier restaraunt. provides the touristers a sense of security in an unfamilair town. Plus we give out directions most of the time and it's cheap security. touristers also think if the police eat there it must be good and safe. however, as with most departments we have officers that abuse the priviledge or leave crappy tips. The free food goes away. Most places here realize that and don't offer free food but discount heavily. I never expect a free meal and never eat where I get one. I always leave a tip on what the bill should be and not what it is then, i add a couple more bucs. Our rule of thumb is always have enough money to pay full fare when you go out to eat or bring your food. For me my food rotting in my car, even in a cooler in the hot florida sun after 12hrs is not appetizing. wether or not an officer gives someone a ticket or not is up to the officer. There is nothing that says we have to give a ticket or don't have to give a ticket, reguardless of weather or not a meal was given or not. Quota's are illegal. Nobody can tell an officer to give someone a ticket or not.
Excellent post. Getting the food free or at a discount and if its ok, sadly, shouldn't be the question. The question should be, does that officer use discretion in receiving that food to project an image of moral character in representing his profession?

There are two images. One is where the officer is in an establishment stuffing his face and bringing his whole family in to feed for free. this type of officer we call a 'grass eater'. It is only a mild form of corruption, but it is still corruption nontheless.

The other type of officer is just as k9cop has so eloquently translated. He always attempts to pay. Not only for his own merits but also for the public image as others witness him. This officer is well aware that he could just as easily offend the proprieter of the restaurant by refusing the meal when they are politely insisting that they pay for his meal.

This officer knows it is good public relations to allow this same public that he serves to show gratitude for his service. And in turn, he is thankful for their gesture by gratefully accepting their offer. However, in my 16 years of service, it is sad to see more of the former and not the latter, which does compel departments to take away this discretion for the officers of good moral character to exercise this judgement issue. All should realize, LEO and citizens alike. Moral character and living ones life with a code of honor is in short supply in our society anymore. And it is this same society we recieve are new applicants from.

You can give the new potential applicant screenings for job history, mental, psychological and criminal backgrounds. But it is almost impossible to screen for moral character. And while young cadets learn and test on ethics in their academies, there is no other standard except the way they were raised that will ensure they follow an ethical moral code once they graduate and out from under the observation of their FTO.