Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

High School Student: LEO Help.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Any time. That's why we are here. If you have any questions at all, just post em here in this thread or PM me. If I don't have the answer, I'll get you pointed in the right direction to get the answer.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #22
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Any time. That's why we are here. If you have any questions at all, just post em here in this thread or PM me. If I don't have the answer, I'll get you pointed in the right direction to get the answer.
Will do
Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #23
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
That the kind of stuff im into. Computer-based forensics and retrieving. Now that i could do for a living for a little while anyway. College it is! Any idea how much money he's making?
He makes what evryone else here makes. He is a cop and was a great street cop, just so happens he's a computer guy. He also does alot of work with our mct's (mobile computer terminals. It's not a raise in pay, they are sworn LEO's who are computer detectives. If your looking for money go federal. I just don't want someone to tell me where to live. The federal life sounds good but you are at the mercy of the federal gov't. You have no life of your own but the pay is great from what I understand.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #24
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Just one last 2 c. At the federal level you will make alot more entering with a 4 year degree than most local pd/so's. This is because they require mostly more training. Researching DEA salary, the training salary (what you get in training) is about 38,000. A deputy sheriff in my county makes 37,000 just starting out. And then after the the DEA agent gets out of training (16+ weeks), they make 49,000-55,000.

Just some agencies to look into OP:

DEA

ATF

US Marshals

You can go the FBI or CIA route also.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
He makes what evryone else here makes. He is a cop and was a great street cop, just so happens he's a computer guy. He also does alot of work with our mct's (mobile computer terminals. It's not a raise in pay, they are sworn LEO's who are computer detectives. If your looking for money go federal. I just don't want someone to tell me where to live. The federal life sounds good but you are at the mercy of the federal gov't. You have no life of your own but the pay is great from what I understand.

Personally Money is the last thing Im worried about at first as ill be a entry-level LEO. Over time as I gain my experience ill eventually apply for a federal job. Both State and Federal Officers has excellent benefits from what I understand.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #26
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
In SC, I wouldnt TOUCH state LE right now

too many issues going on with the $$ and higher ups

You'll get good experience working for a larger local department

I personally have zero military experience, went to college and got a business management degree...and just applied on a whim after a couple buddies got hired by my department...

In SC you have to get a job first, and then that agency sends you to the academy

If you have any further questions about SC in particular, feel free to PM me
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #27
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
it depends..... here is my opinion:
Law Enforcement: People will hate you, the publics view of you will be jaded because if you screw up, your the asshole, if you do your job, your the asshole, if you cant catch the "bad guy" that broke into someones car, your the asshole, ect. you will also look at the general public differently. You wont fit into the public, because you will always be the asshole that gives out tickets, the public will never realize that you protect the city, county, or state depending on where u work. I rarely get thanked for what I do, and most times feel unappreciated doing my job, but law enforcement is what i have wanted to do since i was a kid.

Military: I actually wish i would have done this instead, or at least reserves. People support our military. The public wont be on your ass as much as law enforcement, however, you have to worry about being deployed, or PTSD. you will also look at the public differently, but they are more likely to fit in better with you, because you protect our contry and they accept that.

Both are similar, yet have their differences. I like doing LE, its a mindset, a lifestyle.... but i have always wanted to do it, so it doesnt bother me as much as i see it bothers others.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
Kilo22 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Kilo22's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.21stcenturypaladin.com/20...and-sheepdogs/

OP, read the ENTIRE link above. Its basically the mentality of an LEO/military and how we tend to be preceived. I would suggest doing a ride a long with agencies in your area first. See if you enjoy it, cause its not for everyone. If you choose college or military, you are getting great tools for whatever profession you decide on down the road.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #29
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Thanks everyone for your input. I just realized that i have a retired LEO that lives right next door to me. Ill hit his house up later. Im still firm solid that LE is what i want to do. College is first though.

Afterwards or while im in college, ill ultimately have to make a choice about what Level (state,federal) most likely the latter that I want to go in. Hopefully y'all have provided enough information.

P.S. feel free to add on if you have more to say. The more info the better.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #30
Bee22971 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: VCMO
Name: Garth
Bee22971's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is late but I thought I would put in my .02. I'm bu and I got there by first going to college and then serving 6 yrs in the U.S. Army as both a nco and officer. This path worked for me and I love my job but, there is no easy road. The common sense and life experiences you gain along the way make you a better Agent and more desirable to any agency or department you chose. At the end of the day, the Bu hires you for your decision making abilities.

Don't discredit any LE opportunity you are given. I highly respect my local and federal counterparts and honestly could not do my job without their support. Also, internship will help you learn and decide which agency best fits you. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #31
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Alright guys, its been a little over a year and i've made a bit of progress in my pursuit to find a LE career that i want to pursue, Im enrolled in college at the moment and I'm doing well at the moment and hope to continue my fortunes into the second semester.

I still want to pursue an internship with the Federal bureau of investigations and eventually secure a job with them, I feel like if i applied myself more in the classroom and physically i stand a good chance at nailing an internship. There hasn't been any job fairs at our campus that has had any type of federal agency representative(at least that ive seen). I would welcome any type of opinions, tips, ect. that would aid me in my endeavors.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
Bee22971 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: VCMO
Name: Garth
Bee22971's Tacoma Gallery
Which office r u out of?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee22971 View Post
Which office r u out of?
I dont understand the question