Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Polygraph advice...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Polygraph advice...

So im in the middle stages of attempting to get into an agency and my next step is to take the polygraph. I don't have anything to hide and have a clean record, good grades, etc... Obviously, no one is perfect and as a teenager I did some silly things, but nothing crazy. I have never done an illegal drug nor have I ever drank/drive etc etc. You get the picture. Anyways, the obvious approach is to be upfront and honest which I intend on doing anyways. Just the fail rate for this agency is extremely high and after talking to some people, some have claimed they were completely honest, yet still were denied employment. Obviously, there is debate regarding the polygraph, but just wanted some feedback and input from you guys on here. I'm extremely nervous just because of the fact that this is my dream career and I would very distraught if I wouldn't be able to get in... Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Just be honest...not much else you can do
Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
dont be nervous,tell the truth thats all you can do
Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Be confident in your answers, and don't worry about it. You seem to have the right attitude going in.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
This^^^
Old 10-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
dont lie
Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Creeper
DanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanglingFury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
DanglingFury's Tacoma Gallery
not being nervous is the main thing. I would suggest keeping your heart rate down and not getting excited or anxious. As said before, be confident in your answers and be CONSISTENT in how you feel while being questioned AND answering these questions.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Polygraphs in my opinion are bull, people have been trained to beat them.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
^ This, and maybe find something that'll help you calm the nerves a bit.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat View Post
Polygraphs in my opinion are bull, people have been trained to beat them.
They can also be completely wrong. They are only as good as the administrator.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
^ This, and maybe find something that'll help you calm the nerves a bit.

Lol yea about that...I know one of the questions for sure will be in regards to drugs haha...so that may not be the best of ideas.

We previously had to fill out a personal history questionaire so I imagine they quiz you over those questions you answered. I didn't have anything to hide, and as I mentioned nor did I lie or do I intend to.

Obviously, there are those for and against the use of polygraph. I personally feel that if it is used, it shouldn't be one of the largest obstacles in the employment phase. Because after this is a background check, which I have no concerns about whatsoever.

the nervousness for me comes from fear of not getting into the agency for one reason or another...I got about a month before I have to take it and its really all I can think about right now
Old 10-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
hammerdog is on a distinguished road
hammerdog's Tacoma Gallery
I have taken both polygraph and voice stress analysis tests without any issues. Before they start the test, they will ask you several questions about drug use, domestic violence, internal thefts, etc. If you answer honestly, when the actual test starts, the operator of the test will not have anywhere to go when looking into untruthful statements because you have already been up front.

One of the first questions they ask when the actual test starts is if you have failed to mention anything to the operator earlier. This is where people get into trouble if they failed to disclose something before the test started because they now show deception on the test.

The silly things you did as a teenager will not be an issue if you disclose them and let the operator know you are not proud of the behavior, but you still want to be up front and honest. Be serious, don't downplay the silly behavior with any laughing or humor.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
<Cool Story Bro>

A buddy of mine had an unfortunate upbringing in a very abuse household. Over the years he and his 9 siblings found ways to survive with their personalities intact.

Fast forward a decade or two and he applies and gets a job that requires top secret clearance and polygraph testing every 6 months. During his first session on the polygraph when he's being asked the standard baseline questions, the tester said "Stop doing that."

His old coping skills had inadvertently kicked in and his physiology gave a flatline regardless of what he was saying. He actually had to try to be emotional so they could get a reading.

</Cool Story Bro>
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post
I have taken both polygraph and voice stress analysis tests without any issues. Before they start the test, they will ask you several questions about drug use, domestic violence, internal thefts, etc. If you answer honestly, when the actual test starts, the operator of the test will not have anywhere to go when looking into untruthful statements because you have already been up front.

One of the first questions they ask when the actual test starts is if you have failed to mention anything to the operator earlier. This is where people get into trouble if they failed to disclose something before the test started because they now show deception on the test.

The silly things you did as a teenager will not be an issue if you disclose them and let the operator know you are not proud of the behavior, but you still want to be up front and honest. Be serious, don't downplay the silly behavior with any laughing or humor.
Good info man, I was actually going to the ask that question as to whether or not they ask you questions prior to hooking you up on the machine. I'd feel less nervous for whatever reason if they follow the same guidelines as what they did for you. Honestly, I have always been a person that stays out of trouble and gets good grades etc as I mentioned, but living out in the country as a teenager your bound to get bored and do stupid stuff, but as I mentioned nothing extreme. Again tho man, thanks for the input.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Be completely honest. My buddy did one of those and underated some of his 'drinking' amounts and was booted for it. It's more of a test of honesty and directness than it is about what you have done ( unless you're into some crazy sh*t )
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
cant tell if awesome or really sad....
He's well-adjusted, successful, has a wonderful wife and daughter, and is a great father. Definitely awesome as he's one of the success stories.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
relax, and just answer the questions. Yes or No,. and tell them your real name not you Taco name.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
hammerdog is on a distinguished road
hammerdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
Good info man, I was actually going to the ask that question as to whether or not they ask you questions prior to hooking you up on the machine. I'd feel less nervous for whatever reason if they follow the same guidelines as what they did for you. Honestly, I have always been a person that stays out of trouble and gets good grades etc as I mentioned, but living out in the country as a teenager your bound to get bored and do stupid stuff, but as I mentioned nothing extreme. Again tho man, thanks for the input.
Most people are nervous when taking a polygraph just by the nature of the questions you are being asked. It has been my experience the majority of the people with some exceptions come from backgrounds like you, no drug use or criminal behavior.

When they fail, it is not due to what they did, they fail for failure to disclose what they did. As an example, a young man, now 22 years old fails to disclose he had sex with his girlfriend when she was 16 and he was 17. The operator fails him on the test not because of the sex with the minor, but for lying about it when asked during the pre test questions.

Good luck on the test !
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
I will chime in as someone who has taken polygraph, voice stress everyone I have taken required a urine and hair sample prior to taking (Military), urine only for working in Law Enforcement hair if something looks out of the normal levels. I have also been in the room as a security person due to the person being polygraphed not being the lol most cooperative type person. There are written Q&A's sometimes prior to or during along with a physical interview with a psychiatrist again prior to or during. As most have said be honest and up front do not trivialize poor judgment or blame any childish actions on any one else but your self. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE OR DRINK ANYTHING THAT WILL ALTER URINE OR PHYSIOLOGICAL RESPONSES. They can see it on the tester they already have your medical records if your to this point they know your norms for BP, Temp etc. They generally ask a lot of questions before you actually test. Most will a few softball questions they can see you relax on the machine. Then they start the real ones you will get no feed back from the tester or others in the room as to how you are doing. They will look like they are at a funeral dead face no verbal or physical response to your answers. When they ask you if you have anything to tell us before we start the test if you have not already told them about something you think they don't know about you might want to. The first time I was polygraphed I was really surprised by them, finding out about a childish i.e. STUPID thing I and two of my friends did when we were 14. I had totally forgotten about it well guess what lol. One of those friends I was still friendly with and had put them down as a reference sooo they told the story to the investigator. It wasn't illegal or anything just silly kids stuff, when asked why I had not disclosed the information my only answer was I forgot about it. The questioner asked questions about the incident and I answered what I could remember. I passed the test no prob the agency investigator spoke with me a few days later when I had gone in to pass in some more paperwork and laughed about it " You should have seen the look on your face" I asked him how come all the follow up questions when I had said I had forgotten about it. His response was “Even though you had forgotten it when you were prompted with small details you did recall and gave enough truthful information back to verify everything we already knew so you pass. Well there you have it my 10 cents and exp don't sweat it as long as you have been truthful through out the rest of the process. Oh and a hint according to my father who was a State Trooper / Detective for 27 years your references people are checked but they usually get them to give up other peoples names involved in events and go talk to them too :} THink about it would anyone really be as stupid to put someone down who wasn't going to give a glowing recomendation. :}
Old 10-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
The polygraph does not detect lies. Understand this first and foremost.

So wether you are lying or not has no inherent affect on the outcome of the test.

The polygraph measures your heart rate, pulse and blood pressure. And so the idea behind it is that when you lie, these things spike- due to the stress you allegedly go through when lying. The person giving you the test will tell you all of this- and here's the secret:

They're are setting you up! They make you nervous about it and convince you that if you lie, you will stress out, and the machine will detect the change in your vitals. They sell you this crock of crap to psych you into coming clean about the shit you withheld from them on your app, or to get you stress out enough on your lie for the machine to actually be able to detect a change in your vitals.

Here's the good news- if you go into knowing this, and you are essentially honest with them throughout the process, then you're fine. Remember they dont want to know about every little thing you did- so dont stress, and dont second guess anything you've told them.

Go in there and answer the questions the same way you did on your app, and remain calm- you'll be fine.

I've taken 4 polygraphs. The first two came out 'inconclusive'. The next 2, I passed.