Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

DUI - How strict are you?

Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
That's not going to offset the alcohol at all dude. I know It's your life and everything but that is a lot of alcohol.
i know it. thats not an every day occurance. only on weekends when im doin somethin. durin the week i may have 2 or 3 a night to relax me and make me sleep better. I have problems sleeping and instead of doping up on sleepin pills a few beers help.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftttu View Post
I'm strict on DWI. What keeps some officers from being so strict and just letting them go after having them "woken up" or having a family member come pick them up is the extra effort for a relatively low level offense. There is extra paperwork and a lot of articulation which some officers don't want to mess with. Also, having to find an intoxilyzer operator and the extra amount of time it takes for one of the arrests is another thing to have to worry about if you are short on officers or just too busy on calls for service. Remember, most DWI drivers make it to their destination with no problems.
There is a HUGE difference between someone trying to make it home (he was staying at a hotel that was on the other side of the building complex but instead went chasing after this dude and some odd reason ended up on the interstate going away from the hotel) and driving reckless and swerving/cussing at another person/vehicle.

I honestly lost a little bit of envy in my boyfriend. I thought he was a bit better than that. I told him exactly what was happening when it was happening. Told him I could hear the guy.. When he ran his DL I told him prior reckless ticket... they tested him there on the spot and yea it was a .08 may have gone lower after everything but i'd still take him off the road that night. In the very least he'd think twice about being a dumb ass again.. hopefully. But just having his damn boss come get him and the vehicle wont do a DAMN thing but give them a few laughs the next day.

I had the callers phone number - he was a witness.. he could of at LEAST seen what the caller wanted to do about the situation.
It doesn't make matters any better when he constantly bitches about his co workers being lazy you know? How is this any better? Yea they don't want to be the first to mark up on a call.. how Is that worse than not wanting to do anything about a charge that may not stick in court?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #23
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
i know it. thats not an every day occurance. only on weekends when im doin somethin. durin the week i may have 2 or 3 a night to relax me and make me sleep better. I have problems sleeping and instead of doping up on sleepin pills a few beers help.
Cool dude, as long as you dont drive!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i know a gentleman that got 3 dwi within a month...didnt lose anything at all
Old 11-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #25
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
i know a gentleman that got 3 dwi within a month...didnt lose anything at all
One of my ex's mom's got 6 DUIs.. then they finally locked her up for a year. We were a bit confused.. for one they didn't do CRAP to her for the first 5.. then the 6th BAM year in jail? lol

She did learn after that - they should have done it MUCH sooner.

I don't understand why every state seems very lenient on DUIs? Here your first DUI will get dropped from your record (on the court side.. DMV is another thing) and you have to pay I think $1,500 for the interlock to be placed on your vehicle.. So if you're pulled over again for a DUI it's still just your first offense.

Hell in the county that I'll probably end up working in i've ran criminal historys of people who had commited murder and only spend 3 years in prison. I looked up one case online and he shot and killed a guy in a bar... 3 years of prison and out. I'm NOT going to like working there long lol
But hey it'll get my foot in the door... Still wont stop me from trying. Just can't take it to heart... and hope one day people will wake up. In the meanwhile I guess it's population control......
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Frankly, Nikki, I think you are right, in nothing else that it would have taken someone off the road who probably shouldn't have been on it. I know all you LEOs probably don't want to hear this but, you guys can be fooled and you can be bluffed, I have beaten a checkpoint, a field test and flat out bluffed my way at a few stops that should have resulted in DUI/DWI's. I have totaled cars, destroyed property and hurt people while impaired. I know all too well the effects of what these substances do. It is a miracle that I never killed anyone and I myself is still alive. I absolutely freaking support tough DUI/DWI laws and their enforcement. If the guy blew .08, take em, period, he fucked up, it his fucking problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #27
The b/f is trying to justify what he did by letting him go and it's pissing me off more. This is why I don't normally date people younger than me.. they don't understand women. He doesn't know when to drop a conversation for the sake of the relationship lol
I'm trying to say every officer handles every situation differently. He wont leave it at that. He's saying every officer on the department would have let him go. I told him well it looks like i need to move out of this county then! Doesn't seem too safe to me! Didn't see him do anything bad - go on.. you're legally drunk but not far enough legally drunk??

That's like saying "ma'am I know he beat you but he didn't beat you bad enough.. you don't need to go to the hospital yet. Call us when he sends you there" (granted those situations normally end up that way even after you arrest the guy.. but.. at least you did your part)
Old 11-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #28
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
The b/f is trying to justify what he did by letting him go and it's pissing me off more. This is why I don't normally date people younger than me.. they don't understand women. He doesn't know when to drop a conversation for the sake of the relationship lol
I'm trying to say every officer handles every situation differently. He wont leave it at that. He's saying every officer on the department would have let him go. I told him well it looks like i need to move out of this county then! Doesn't seem too safe to me! Didn't see him do anything bad - go on.. you're legally drunk but not far enough legally drunk??

That's like saying "ma'am I know he beat you but he didn't beat you bad enough.. you don't need to go to the hospital yet. Call us when he sends you there" (granted those situations normally end up that way even after you arrest the guy.. but.. at least you did your part)
Whoa whoa whoa, despite whatever the issue is, you called him out on his job, guys (anyone actually) despise that so don't be a suprised he is justifying himself. thats normal whether your right or wrong.

Also are you persisting on the issue then getting angry he won't drop it and tell you your right?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #29
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
To me it is the same as going outside of your house and shooting your gun a few times into the air. Most likely you won't hit anything, but when you do, people die.
And if you do shoot your gun, the consequences are much more severe than driving drunk. Note earlier post, politicians do the latter, not the former.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, despite whatever the issue is, you called him out on his job, guys (anyone actually) despise that so don't be a suprised he is justifying himself. thats normal whether your right or wrong.

Also are you persisting on the issue then getting angry he won't drop it and tell you your right?
He made a VERY shitty comment to me when he dropped some coffee off to me. THAT is was started the argument. Before it was just a discussion about the call like we normally have. I don't tolerate being treated like crap anymore.

And no I didn't want him to admit I was right I wanted him to drop the convo and for us not to talk about work related issues because apparently we couldn't do so without an argument. He couldn't leave it at that.

Now he's saying he's sorry for how he treated me (good boy). Is going to talk to pros att. about if he would have been ok to arrest the guy when he didn't witness him driving.. at all.. since the city cop who was out of his area pulled him over. I see his point about the city cop being out of his area and stopping him and not seeing him drive like he may be impaired. BUT it was a BOLO vehicle for trying to wreck and fight someone... that is justification for a stop. The caller even had the license plate and all. THEN he tried saying I told him the caller didn't want to be part of it and state his side of the story he just wanted to go home - major no no.. never said that.

I guess it was a bit of a clutter fuck that kept getting worse. I just made my point by saying "if he started running his mouth to you - would you still have been unsure about if you were justified to make that arrest?" ....... you're right he would have been arrested. hah

I made my original point though.. everyone has different views on ANY situation. I hear what he doesn't get to hear and he sees what I don't get to see. But we need to work TOGETHER and get the entire picture put together.

It's so not cool when a drunk bastard decides to try to play road rage. It's bad enough when one is sober! Been there done that... with a CRAZY woman with a pit bull!! One reason why I got my concealed carry permit. They "couldn't" send an officer out even when she jumped out of her car at a red light to pound on my window with her barking pit bull. I bet the would have when someone called in stating a gun was seen!! I would HATE to shoot a dog.. but... that bitch was freakin' crazy!!! All I did was not let her over? lol
Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #31
Goldstar225 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tom
Goldstar225's Tacoma Gallery
I have zero tolerance for DUI's. In the past 17 years I chose not to arrest one. Helluva a night, multiple fights and shots fired calls. I made a judgement call that I needed to be on the street more than I needed to spend an hour and a half booking him. Took his keys, told him to call a ride and come to the department the next day for his keys. All others have gone to jail.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #32
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
There are two kinds of people I hate in this world.....Drunk people when I'm sober and sober people when I'm drunk.

In Florida you have to witness an established driving pattern. There is no non-view misdemeanor exception for DUI here.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #33
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
the laws here are nowhere near strict enough for drunk driving. It is really not that hard to find a ride or just don't drink if you have no ride. People are just so stupid, especially in this state.
this is untrue around here
here your first offense
1... they seize your car and sell it at auction
2....must complete drug / alcohol classes
3....anything over 1.6 is a felony (1st offense)
4....2nd offense in 10 years (class e felony)
5....mandoritory ingition interlock (first offense)
6....driving with anyone under 18 in car drunk (felony)
7....insurance will drop you..expect to pay 2 times what you were before the dui

just some thought
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #34
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
here your first offense
7....insurance will drop you..expect to pay 2 times what you were before the dui

just some thought
This would be great!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #35
zimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant futurezimm52 has a brilliant future

zimm52's Tacoma Gallery
Once you have a family member or close family friends KILLED by a drunk driver, you will realize that there is no "grey area" with this. My best freind since I was 10, BOTH parents were killed in a DUI when some dumbass at 10am on a SUNDAY morning plowed into them. They were like my second parents, was always over there. Terribly hard to deal with.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #36
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not LEO but IMO it really depends on the person. Some people handle alcohol better than others. If I were an officer, I would probably book the ones who I felt were a hazard while the others I would just make someone else drive them home.

My buddy who drinks a lot and IMO has a drinking problem got a DUI about a year ago. He doesn't ever drive when he feels "drunk" or buzzed. He works at a restaurant and had 3 beers while watching a game before he left work one night. He did not even feel buzzed. He got pulled over about a mile from his house because he had a tag light out. The officer smelled beer on his breath and asked him to complete a field sobriety test. He gladly agreed to it and passed the sobriety test. The officer then asked him to blow in the beathalizer, he agreed because he didn't think he was drunk. He blew a 0.15 almost twice the legal limit. If I were an officer in that situation, I would have made him walk the rest of the way home and pick his car up the next day.

I have a personal limit of 1 beer per hour with a maximum of 4 beers in a night and I will stop drinking at least an hour before I have to drive. Typically I will only drink about 2 beers max though...I can't drink like I used to.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #37
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I'm not LEO but IMO it really depends on the person. Some people handle alcohol better than others. If I were an officer, I would probably book the ones who I felt were a hazard while the others I would just make someone else drive them home.

My buddy who drinks a lot and IMO has a drinking problem got a DUI about a year ago. He doesn't ever drive when he feels "drunk" or buzzed. He works at a restaurant and had 3 beers while watching a game before he left work one night. He did not even feel buzzed. He got pulled over about a mile from his house because he had a tag light out. The officer smelled beer on his breath and asked him to complete a field sobriety test. He gladly agreed to it and passed the sobriety test. The officer then asked him to blow in the beathalizer, he agreed because he didn't think he was drunk. He blew a 0.15 almost twice the legal limit. If I were an officer in that situation, I would have made him walk the rest of the way home and pick his car up the next day.

I have a personal limit of 1 beer per hour with a maximum of 4 beers in a night and I will stop drinking at least an hour before I have to drive. Typically I will only drink about 2 beers max though...I can't drink like I used to.
makes no sense unless he weighs 2 pds........
just saying.....
sounds more like he had a 12 pk.......
Old 11-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #38
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
makes no sense unless he weighs 2 pds........
just saying.....
sounds more like he had a 12 pk.......
He's tall (6'3-4") and scrawny. He just has a super high tolerance for alcohol because he's been a heavy drinker since he was 18 (28 now). His alcohol "counselor" told him he has obviously drinks way too much if he can blow as high as he did and not feel drunk.

He could have lied about how many he had, I wasn't there. However he's a pretty blunt honest no BS guy and doesn't tend to exaggerate things. I have known him for about 10 years now.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #39
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
here your first offense

just some thought
nice, we need something like this.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #40
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
He's tall (6'3-4") and scrawny. He just has a super high tolerance for alcohol because he's been a heavy drinker since he was 18 (28 now). His alcohol "counselor" told him he has obviously drinks way too much if he can blow as high as he did and not feel drunk.

He could have lied about how many he had, I wasn't there. However he's a pretty blunt honest no BS guy and doesn't tend to exaggerate things. I have known him for about 10 years now.
I think Brutal's point was it takes more than 3 beers to get to .15.

My girlfriend has a breathalizer for her work and we've messed around with it on occassion to see what happens to our BAC over various times in the night, after 1, 2, 4, after not drinking for an hour, etc and it was interesting to find out that most people don't feel drunk or even buzzed when they're at the legal limit. If you've never been breathalized before, it's an eye opening experience and I'd recommend you do it (as long as it's not by the officer at your driver's side window). I think everyone should have an idea of how they feel vs. what the courts say is legal.