Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

DUI - How strict are you?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #41
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think Brutal's point was it takes more than 3 beers to get to .15.

My girlfriend has a breathalizer for her work and we've messed around with it on occassion to see what happens to our BAC over various times in the night, after 1, 2, 4, after not drinking for an hour, etc and it was interesting to find out that most people don't feel drunk or even buzzed when they're at the legal limit. If you've never been breathalized before, it's an eye opening experience and I'd recommend you do it (as long as it's not by the officer at your driver's side window). I think everyone should have an idea of how they feel vs. what the courts say is legal.
this^^^ its bac%
there is no way he is a 1.5 with 3 beers....
every officer i have spoken with always says the guys / girl they locked up said they only had a few beers,,,,,
women get a higher bac because they have less blood volume.....
your body can process a beer a hour so u do the math
Rate of Alcoholic Consumption.

Drinking three drinks in one hour will affect you more than

drinking three drinks in three hours. Spacing the drinks over a

longer period of time will slow the rate at which you become

intoxicated and indicates responsible drinking habits.

Body Weight and Fat.

The heavier the person, the more alcohol it takes to raise the

BAC. Be aware of your size when drinking with others. If

you are smaller than your friends and try to drink as much as

they do, your judgment and inhibitions will probably be

affected before theirs are.

Body fat also affects how quickly you are affected by alcohol.

Alcohol is able to be absorbed in water, not fat. This simply

means that people with less body fat have more water in which

to dilute the alcohol. So, drink for drink, if people weigh the

same, the one with more body fat will show signs of

intoxication first.

here are some quick facts
http://www.tn.gov/safety/dlhandbook/07chap6.pdf
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #42
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I think Brutal's point was it takes more than 3 beers to get to .15.

My girlfriend has a breathalizer for her work and we've messed around with it on occassion to see what happens to our BAC over various times in the night, after 1, 2, 4, after not drinking for an hour, etc and it was interesting to find out that most people don't feel drunk or even buzzed when they're at the legal limit. If you've never been breathalized before, it's an eye opening experience and I'd recommend you do it (as long as it's not by the officer at your driver's side window). I think everyone should have an idea of how they feel vs. what the courts say is legal.
Sure, I got his point. I wasn't there so maybe he had more...who knows, he claims he only had 3 beers.

I'd be willing to bet I've probably driven "legally drunk" before not knowing it because I didn't feel buzzed or drunk. However, I have a low tolerance for alcohol and I'm not a big person (5'7" ~150lbs) 2-3 beers within in an hour and i'm pretty buzzed. I try to spread them out to no more than 1 per hour with a max of 4 in a night if I'm driving.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #43
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
1st things 1st

I have very little tolerance for DUI...however...Though I'm Datamaster certified, I usually call SCHP when I get a stop where I think theyre drunk because they keep stats on those things and we dont...so I help them out

With that being said, sure alcohol affects everyone differently, BUT alcoholic beverages start impacting your body from the first drink...period

A .15 is WAY more than 3 beers, even if he shotgunned them all as the cop was walking to his car

Nikki, because you are in dispatch and not out there on the road, you are still excited and want to lock up everyone that breaks the law...it happens...it's normal...it doesn't make sense to let someone go for something like a DUI

We were all there once upon a time...but after you spend some time out there working (not just riding along) and figuring out how court works out for different things etc, you'll learn that there are times when an arrest isnt the best thing

One thing my Cpl. taught me was that for any non-felony you have to weigh the arrest

Are you accomplishing anything and altering future behavior by putting that person in jail? In this case, he has prior reckless...do you think that a little jail time is going to alter his future behavior? I doubt it

Like you said, you heard things he didnt, and he saw things you didnt...and while you should work together, what is heard can often be very deceiving...kind of like when jack and jill get into an argument, and jill gets butthurt so she calls 911 on jack...on the phone she can scream and cry and act scared...but once the officers get there...it's absolutely opposite of what you heard

What you heard rarely will end up in court either...plus if it's an iffy case...no officer wants to get in front of a judge and look like a complete dildo and lose any sort of credibility he has in that court

For this situation, the end result is probably the same...doubtful would a dui have stopped him from driving...and either way he got home without killing anyone

and side note, if i was your bf, I wouldn't appreciate the arm-chair quarterbacking of my decisions on the street either...just my personal opinion and a big reason why I will never date anyone related to the police world
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #44
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
I have a very low tolerance, almost none, for DUI's. I have been to far too many fatals and other calls because of DUI's.

When it comes to my stops if I have signs of impairment you are getting taken to jail. Once there is you are cooperative and blow low then I will still process you at the jail but I will let you call for a ride from jail. If you dont blow or you blow high then you are going to sit in jail.

I am certified as a breath test operator and have seen alot of drunks. This is just something that needs to be stopped before others are hurt by their decisions.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #45
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I'm torn on this topic.

A god friend of mine was pulled over in Tulsa many moons ago for speeding and nothing else. Officer smelled alcohol on him and had him do the field sobriety (which he failed) then took him to the pokey where he took the breathalyzer - where he blew a .07 (.08 legal limit in OK).

Now, here's the thing, dude had to spend the night in the clink even though he didn't blow over the limit. That seems odd to me. Why wasn't he allowed to call a ride? Isn't that wrongful imprisonment if he's not breaking the law?

So he ended up getting charged with Driving While Impaired, which I guess is a lesser offense, paid some fines, did some classes and got the whole thing expunged from his record. But still, it seems dumb that he had to spend the night in the tank when he wasn't even over the limit.

He sure was pissed when I came and got him the next morning, too.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #46
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

around here at least, you're already under arrest for DUI by the time you get to blow

and you can refuse to blow
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #47
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Yea my other deputy friend said you can charge for a DUI even if they are .06.

We normally always talk about calls and such. Kind of talk it out.. I mess up at times and he lets me know what would have helped him.. or what my co workers do (He went to a domestic in progress not knowing the guy was holding his wife hostage with a gun.. ended up being a BB gun.. but they told dispatch the guy had the gun and the dispatcher didn't tell my boyfriend. I was PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!! They put it into the CAD that the man had a gun but it was never said over the radio.. I replayed the tapes. BUT I didn't do a damn thing other than ask why he wasn't told. I left it up to him to do something about it)

Just a bad night.. doesn't help he rear ended a car earlier that night..
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #48
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I may have 3 heinekens throughout the day with water in-between . We save the chugging for the night if no night runs .
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #49
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
1st things 1st

I have very little tolerance for DUI...however...Though I'm Datamaster certified, I usually call SCHP when I get a stop where I think theyre drunk because they keep stats on those things and we dont...so I help them out

With that being said, sure alcohol affects everyone differently, BUT alcoholic beverages start impacting your body from the first drink...period

A .15 is WAY more than 3 beers, even if he shotgunned them all as the cop was walking to his car

Nikki, because you are in dispatch and not out there on the road, you are still excited and want to lock up everyone that breaks the law...it happens...it's normal...it doesn't make sense to let someone go for something like a DUI

We were all there once upon a time...but after you spend some time out there working (not just riding along) and figuring out how court works out for different things etc, you'll learn that there are times when an arrest isnt the best thing

One thing my Cpl. taught me was that for any non-felony you have to weigh the arrest

Are you accomplishing anything and altering future behavior by putting that person in jail? In this case, he has prior reckless...do you think that a little jail time is going to alter his future behavior? I doubt it

Like you said, you heard things he didnt, and he saw things you didnt...and while you should work together, what is heard can often be very deceiving...kind of like when jack and jill get into an argument, and jill gets butthurt so she calls 911 on jack...on the phone she can scream and cry and act scared...but once the officers get there...it's absolutely opposite of what you heard

What you heard rarely will end up in court either...plus if it's an iffy case...no officer wants to get in front of a judge and look like a complete dildo and lose any sort of credibility he has in that court

For this situation, the end result is probably the same...doubtful would a dui have stopped him from driving...and either way he got home without killing anyone

and side note, if i was your bf, I wouldn't appreciate the arm-chair quarterbacking of my decisions on the street either...just my personal opinion and a big reason why I will never date anyone related to the police world
^This. I developed my attitude towards DUIs while doing ride-alongs with my brother while I was still in school. He never gave anyone a DUI. Mostly because he didnt want to mess up someone's life over something we've all done in our lives.

But the main reason for being lenient on DUIs- and by lenient I dont mean letting the person drive away- is beacuse you don't want to be tied up for 3 hours while everyone else on your squad is going from call to call.

You have to prioritize.

Plus, the paper on a DUI sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
I'm torn on this topic.

A god friend of mine was pulled over in Tulsa many moons ago for speeding and nothing else. Officer smelled alcohol on him and had him do the field sobriety (which he failed) then took him to the pokey where he took the breathalyzer - where he blew a .07 (.08 legal limit in OK).

Now, here's the thing, dude had to spend the night in the clink even though he didn't blow over the limit. That seems odd to me. Why wasn't he allowed to call a ride? Isn't that wrongful imprisonment if he's not breaking the law?

So he ended up getting charged with Driving While Impaired, which I guess is a lesser offense, paid some fines, did some classes and got the whole thing expunged from his record. But still, it seems dumb that he had to spend the night in the tank when he wasn't even over the limit.

He sure was pissed when I came and got him the next morning, too.
Down here there is a mathematical formula used and recognized by the court, that determines what your blood alchohol level was when you were stopped, based on the time you blew, what you blew at, and the time you were stopped.

The courts recognize that if you get pulled over at 9pm, and dont blow till much later, you're result will be lower than it was when you got stopped.

Maybe your state does this as well?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #50
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
See, this is a touchy subject for me.. A few weeks ago i was at this party, and these 2 kids got caught stealing a laptop and an iPhone 4. So they were chased out. They were extremely drunk, and on Xanax. We called the cops as they were driving away, and they were pulled over. Both were 18+. And I watched as 2 cops let them call their parents, and they got off free.
What the shit is that?

** oh and , when I talked to the cop as he had them pulled over, the cop even expressed that he knew how messed up they were.. WTF?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #51
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #52
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
^This. I developed my attitude towards DUIs while doing ride-alongs with my brother while I was still in school. He never gave anyone a DUI. Mostly because he didnt want to mess up someone's life over something we've all done in our lives.

But the main reason for being lenient on DUIs- and by lenient I dont mean letting the person drive away- is beacuse you don't want to be tied up for 3 hours while everyone else on your squad is going from call to call.

You have to prioritize.

Plus, the paper on a DUI sucks

Down here there is a mathematical formula used and recognized by the court, that determines what your blood alchohol level was when you were stopped, based on the time you blew, what you blew at, and the time you were stopped.

The courts recognize that if you get pulled over at 9pm, and dont blow till much later, you're result will be lower than it was when you got stopped.

Maybe your state does this as well?
If I recall your level actually rises before it falls as the alcohol you drank is processed by your body.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #53
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
If I recall your level actually rises before it falls as the alcohol you drank is processed by your body.
I guess that depends on the time frame, and at what point the person had their last drink. If thehy drank 3 beers at the bar, then shot-gunned 2 more in the parking lot before driving home, and you stop them 10 minutes later, I'd say yes it's still climbing.

If they 4 or 5 beers at the bar, sat around for an hour or so, then drove home, its going to be falling.

I think the formula was developed to counter the people who would refuse to blow at the scene, then offer to do so later, or upon being forced to take a blood test, would come out at .08 or below.

The thinking is that yeah, you're under the limit now, but when I initially stopped you 2 hours ago, you weren't.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
Over the Legal limit, yeah be a bit harsh on them. Here legal drinking age is 19, but if your driving you have to have .00 blood alcohol level till your 21. Which if you ask me sucks. That pretty much means if your driving you can't have a glass of wine with supper, or a beer with your co-workers after work.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #55
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
No excuse to get a dui. If you have to power to keep drinking you have the power to call a cab or a friend.

States are getting stricter on dui's now.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretacoowner View Post
Over the Legal limit, yeah be a bit harsh on them. Here legal drinking age is 19, but if your driving you have to have .00 blood alcohol level till your 21. Which if you ask me sucks. That pretty much means if your driving you can't have a glass of wine with supper, or a beer with your co-workers after work.
In the US its .02 because of case law. Lawyers have used Nyquil, mouthwash and other stuff containing alcohol to establish that you can have a measurable BAC without drinking beer/wine/liquor
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #57
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
yeah gov of N.B. sucks like that. They have some weird laws 16-18 year olds (usually the ones with a 7(2) if I remember correct) can't drive between midnight and i think 5 am unless its for work.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
I feel that if a person can drive then they are good to go as long as they are below the legal limit. my old roommate would go to a bar and drink 6 or 8 beers then drive back. i told him time and time again that was stupid but he kept doin it. he finally hit a checkpoint. although he was fine to drive (6ft 7 weighed about 250 all muscle) he still got a night in jail for blowing over a .08.

When I go to bars and I am driving I will only drink one beer. no liquor. I know I can drink more and still function fine but I dont want to risk my future and killing some little kid that runs out in front of me.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #59
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
I feel that if a person can drive then they are good to go as long as they are below the legal limit. my old roommate would go to a bar and drink 6 or 8 beers then drive back. i told him time and time again that was stupid but he kept doin it. he finally hit a checkpoint. although he was fine to drive (6ft 7 weighed about 250 all muscle) he still got a night in jail for blowing over a .08.

When I go to bars and I am driving I will only drink one beer. no liquor. I know I can drink more and still function fine but I dont want to risk my future and killing some little kid that runs out in front of me.
over a .08 may not impair your walking/talking abilities or anything else that you can observe, but it does impair one's judgement and reaction time

Get in a wreck and kill someone, blow over .08 and that's gonna be one nasty charge...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post

FYI= .08 is .08, regardless of whether you're 6-07'' or 4-07". BAC is determined based on your weight.

So you're 6-07" buddy's .08 is the same as my .08, at 5-07".

Now, if you want to debate that .08 affects people in different ways, thats a different story...