Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

DUI - How strict are you?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #142
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
you are correct and I agree that it is a mental condition. One that is inflicted upon oneself thru conditioning leading to dependance. Some people are more predisposed to this than others. Some people like drugs of another kind.I used to smoke weed every waking moment of every day and now I can't anymore so I don't. I think this way because I quit smoking butts after twenty years at two packs per day cold turkey ten years ago and never took a single puff again. Motivation (cancer) was the key for me.
In some groups it's more common than others, if you heard a friend of Irish descent had a drinking problem, you wouldn't be surprised at all. On the other hand if you heard about a Jewish guy having the same problem your jaw would drop.
Stereotypes maybe politically incorrect but, they exist because there is some fact to them.

I'm not educated enough to say it's a hereditary or a learned behavior.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #143
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
Good for you Chris, keep at it.

I like your buddy's analogy of willpower/diarrhea... sort of.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #144
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
In some groups it's more common than others, if you heard a friend of Irish descent had a drinking problem, you wouldn't be surprised at all. On the other hand if you heard about a Jewish guy having the same problem your jaw would drop.
Stereotypes maybe politically incorrect but, they exist because there is some fact to them.

I'm not educated enough to say it's a hereditary or a learned behavior.
I'd argue both..in my case I didn't see it at home, but family history all in all shows it elsewhere. I've seen people the exact opposite as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #145
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
I have to respect you getting control. I hope things go well in the future for you and yours.
Thx..it was simple, at age 28 either grow up or not live to see 30.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #146
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
I'd argue both..in my case I didn't see it at home, but family history all in all shows it elsewhere. I've seen people the exact opposite as well.
It's the old 'Nature vs Nurture' argument, there are causes from both i believe.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #147
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry but I don't care if you think you can't stop drinking or not. I mean I do but when it comes to you being drunk and getting into a vehicle to drive - I don't care your ass belongs in jail.

There are exceptions... I haven't met any yet though...
Sadly in my state your first DUI is a cash cow for the county. Here your first DUI will be dropped if you pay a fine and pay for the blow and go. So people will get to first offense DUIs before they get a second offense. It really sucks.

I can also write a DUI through the city. So it's a cath and release program lol I'm not too sure how hard the city is on people? I've never asked. That way they get the punishment but can still get to work the next day or back to their kid they left at home so they can go out and be stupid. Most of the time these are people you pull over for something stupid like a headlight out and then smell the alch on them. Otherwise they were driving ok (their car gets towed in this case as well)

Those who are pulled over because you can tell without a doubt are intoxicated go to jail. Then they can detox and wake up thinking they've fucked up.

Yesterday morning I was leaving for work at 5:30am. I stopped at the end of my road at the stop sign and took a bit longer to pull off because I saw headlights coming and it looked odd..... They looked odd because the idiot was driving down the wrong side of the road. He turned into the subdivision across from me and about plowed into a brick mailbox thing.
Glad I didn't pull out or he would have hit me head on... God knows what I would have done if I was able to get out of the car afterwards....

(I wasn't in my city and I'm on FTO still. I couldn't do anything. Was hoping his house was somewhere in there)
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #148
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm52 View Post
Once you have a family member or close family friends KILLED by a drunk driver, you will realize that there is no "grey area" with this. My best freind since I was 10, BOTH parents were killed in a DUI when some dumbass at 10am on a SUNDAY morning plowed into them. They were like my second parents, was always over there. Terribly hard to deal with.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #149
engineer406 is on a distinguished road
engineer406's Tacoma Gallery
Aww dang! Those two made a great couple! haha
How's Johnny law on the sport bikes out there? Here in Washington state, they love to profile and write reckless'. BUT...Harley's can do 90 down the freeway...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #150
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
My department tend to leave bikes alone in general.
Most around this area will pull whatever. You break the law you get pulled over.
Although in the county I was a dispatcher for it seemed they mostly got Harley's.
I mean I've been pulled over a few times in that county on my bikes as well lol not in a few years though.

I was going way too fast on a back road and was caught by my now fav sgt. If the other dispatcher didn't tell him I was the new dispatcher he would have towed my bike so he says anyways...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #151
engineer406 is on a distinguished road
engineer406's Tacoma Gallery
A police officer speeding?? :O Gasp! hahaha Well that's good your department sounds like they focus on the more important tasks at hand. I'm always on the east coast because of family in Gloucester, VA. If it were'nt for the humidity, I'm possibly move there haha.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #152
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
There are two kinds of people I hate in this world.....Drunk people when I'm sober and sober people when I'm drunk.
I hope it is ok that I quoted that in my sig?!?! Let me know if you don't approve.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #153
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
I'm sorry but I don't care if you think you can't stop drinking or not. I mean I do but when it comes to you being drunk and getting into a vehicle to drive - I don't care your ass belongs in jail.

There are exceptions... I haven't met any yet though...
Sadly in my state your first DUI is a cash cow for the county. Here your first DUI will be dropped if you pay a fine and pay for the blow and go. So people will get to first offense DUIs before they get a second offense. It really sucks.
You may not expect this, but I agree with you. Even a 1st offense should be a year minimum in jail..in addition to loss of license and such.

I say that for a few reasons. First, since getting sober I have met very few people with just one DUI..either none or more than one.

I have a family member who got their 3rd DUI last year..this person is in their mid 50's mind you..and had the balls to say they consider themselves a victim "because if I didn't always have to drive it wouldn't have happened". I then reminded them that they had been alone every time they got caught..kind of blew a hole in that theory.

To me it's bad enough I got caught once..totally stupid. To keep doing it just shows me that someone didn't learn anything from the fines, the classes, the inconvenience to others..
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #154
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
A year minimum in jail? The jails would be overflowing. Maybe on 2nd offense. Alot of people learn their lesson after the first one, and everyone makes mistakes. I hang out with a guy that toured the country in a famous band, living the rock star life, and it all ended when he got a DUI. Now he is completely sober, working at a boring job, and leading worship music at church on Sundays. Not sure he deserved a year in jail.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #155
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
ZERO tolerance for DUI's, no matter who they are or who they say they know. HBD and under the limit, call a cab or get a friend to drive.

You can't afford (career wise and morally) to let a DUI go or put them in a cab.....it will bite you later.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #156
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
A year minimum in jail? The jails would be overflowing. Maybe on 2nd offense. Alot of people learn their lesson after the first one, and everyone makes mistakes. I hang out with a guy that toured the country in a famous band, living the rock star life, and it all ended when he got a DUI. Now he is completely sober, working at a boring job, and leading worship music at church on Sundays. Not sure he deserved a year in jail.
I'll agree with you in most part, but in my personal experience every one who learns the first time there are more than one who don't..and are worse.

If I must choose, I'd prefer my jails filled versus my graveyards.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #157
Bfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to all

Name: Brandon
Bfry86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
This is what I would say too if I wasn't actually a doctor or nurse but wanted my real job to sound as if it meant anything.

Did you steal this from Coronal Jessup in a few good men?

First, thank you for the 6th grade science on the effects of alcohol. Next rarely am I a grammar natzi on a forum, however since you made reference to education as if you had some and law enforcement doesn't, it's spelled invincible. Next speaking about experiences is far different than posting up someone's name date of birth and address and laying out all manner of personal information. Next I hope you are able to recover from being so "sickened".

Our society actually prefers that law enforcement operate under the laws set forth by federal state and local government. Your code sounds nice though.
And again, sorry for pointing such trivial things out but it's spelled "their". I know simple mistake that anyone can make, but hardly a word an educated person should mess up.

Well we don't exactly know what your profession is now do we? As for law enforcement, you may want to check around a bit on on who requires a degree and who does not before making such inaccurate blanket statements.

Regardless, I would hope we can all agree, that having a degree means little in the real world. You can cheat your way through any level of college you like. In addition, having a degree in basket weaving lends little to your ability to be a critical thinker, use common sense or operate as a productive honest human being. I would also put any degree you may have up against a none-degree'd person in their chosen field.

Now we all know you didn't think your comments through and you were simply hoping to get a jab in for whatever reasons you may have but next time you may want to just think before you speak or in this case type and ask yourself if it's really the right thing to do. Asking if it's the right thing to do is pretty much like having "a code" right?
Well, I'm glad I missed the shit storm earlier this month. I need not explain my profession to you or anyone on this forum but thanks for trying to take a dig at it. Let me just say that I save lives each and every day I'm at work.

I find it quite comical that you spent a good amount of time correcting the grammer from an off hand post that was typed in 30 seconds. Given your logic, I should paste up all of the threatening PM's I have received and pick away....

For those that I offended with the degree comment, I sincerely apologize.
It was ignorant, on my part, to make such a broad comment. Especially when it was intended for those in my area and not a single person in this community. We have seen a spike in abuse from law enforcement towards our patients and it remains a sticky issue around here.

While, the comment I made earlier this month was not needed, it was not intended for any of you. It was simply an opinion on a forum... It did not warrant for all of the threatening PM's and hate mail.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #158
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfry86 View Post
Well, I'm glad I missed the shit storm earlier this month. I need not explain my profession to you or anyone on this forum but thanks for trying to take a dig at it. Let me just say that I save lives each and every day I'm at work.

I find it quite comical that you spent a good amount of time correcting the grammer from an off hand post that was typed in 30 seconds. Given your logic, I should paste up all of the threatening PM's I have received and pick away....

For those that I offended with the degree comment, I sincerely apologize.
It was ignorant, on my part, to make such a broad comment. Especially when it was intended for those in my area and not a single person in this community. We have seen a spike in abuse from law enforcement towards our patients and it remains a sticky issue around here.

While, the comment I made earlier this month was not needed, it was not intended for any of you. It was simply an opinion on a forum... It did not warrant for all of the threatening PM's and hate mail.
if you are getting threatening pm, you can report those to the Tacoma world staff.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #159
Meatloaf is on a distinguished road
Marines: AAV Crewman
Name: B
Meatloaf's Tacoma Gallery
Zero tolerance. I get them all the time. Lots of local cops have gotten hit by drunks on the road. You may feel fine to drive but the eyes don't lie.

CALL A CAB!