Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Shooting close to my house... your expert thoughts?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Shooting close to my house... your expert thoughts?

So there was a shooting probably about 20 minutes from my house on friday night that killed one person. The general southern part of the county in which I live is a very rural and low crime area, so this really has been bothering me.

Story below:

NEW RUSSIA TWP. — Nine hundred dollars was stolen when armed men descended on a Russia Road home late Friday night and exchanged gunfire with the resident, killing the man’s brother, according to a sheriff’s report.
Stephen Mihalak Jr., 46, who suffered a fatal wound to the chest, is not believed to be the target of the robbery because he was just visiting the home of his brother, Donald, according to sheriff’s Sgt. Donald Barker.
Barker said it is unknown why the assailants would have targeted Donald Mihalak, 32, who was shot in the hand during the incident reported at 11:58 p.m. Friday at his home at 45609 Russia Road.

“The victim said he doesn’t know these people,” Barker said.
Donald Mihalak declined to comment for this story, saying “If they catch the guy who murdered my brother, I’ll be glad to give you a report.”
A third brother, Bruce Mihalak, said the family views Stephen Mihalak as a hero.
“He was a good father, a good brother, and in my opinion he’s the reason that I don’t have to deal with a bunch of loved ones that I had to bury,” Bruce Mihalak said.
Bruce Mihalak said he knew money was stolen from Donald, but he wasn’t sure how much was taken. He also said the attacker was not known to the family.
The incident report stated that a Draco AK-47 was recovered at the scene.
Barker said the gun was reportedly fired at the attackers during the incident.
Bruce Mihalak’s fiancee and two young children were at home at the time, and Stephen had planned to go hunting Saturday, Bruce Mihalak said.
Barker said deputies spoke briefly to Donald Mihalak and planned to talk to him again if medical treatment issues do not stand in the way.
When asked if the neighborhood should be concerned, Barker replied, “I think they will be worried because it happened in that neighborhood, but I don’t think it was random.”
Barker declined to say how many assailants were involved, saying “I really don’t want to go into the facts and circumstances.”
Meanwhile, a distraught woman who identified herself as Donald Mihalak’s fiancee can be heard on a 911 tape directing authorities to the home and saying “Get into the house! They’re turning back!”
Barker said the sedan carrying the assailant or assailants apparently paused while leaving the scene, leading her to fear the gunman or gunmen were returning.
An incident report stated that Nicole Karbowniczek, 28, lives at the home and was a witness.
She also did not return a phone call for comment.
On the 911 tape, Karbowniczek can be heard begging for help, saying “my fiance is shot and so is my brother-in-law.”
Also making 911 calls were neighbors including a woman who said “It sounded like there were a lot of gunshots” and a man who said he heard “a bunch of screaming” including the comment “He’s bleeding from the mouth

I am studying criminal justice currently, so I can't help but speculate on this. The guy says he didn't know the assailants, maybe, maybe not. My thing is, I don't believe it to be random given. The guy also had $900 on him??? Who has that kind of cash on them?? Another story I read stated that the suspect came to the door and told the person who answered that someone needed to see him outside? (Why would anyone in their right mind step outside if they didn't have a clue what was going on). Then the one victim comes with an AK 47? Obviously people are allowed to own those and can use them to protect themselves, but seems a little fishy to me. News said the victims have no prior records. And no one seems to know who the suspects were...theres gotta be more to it.

Anyways, just curious as to what your law enforcement opinion is on this? Random or not? My guess is some sort of drug deal gone bad ?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think ive ever lived in a place where there weren't murder shootings within 20 mins
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
You never know what people are doing behind closed doors

Sounds like a dope deal gone bad or some sort of back door loan with failure to make payments etc
Old 11-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
If you go on the other half of the county, then yea, shootings all the time. But the southern half is very rural with very little crime so to me it's a bit uneasy to hear such so close. Yea to me 20 mins is close...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post

Sounds like a dope deal gone bad or some sort of back door loan with failure to make payments etc
This.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

yes. i would think it is the same thing as well.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Theres a lot of violence just 30 miles away from my home. Spokane has some serious crime issues.

It's not as bad as it seems...
Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Haha not ALL of spokane. It has its parts

although I carry wherever I go around here, even to work.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

X2 No one robs a home with the occupants inside, Drugs deal gone bad.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
No one robs a home with the occupants inside
Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
People get murdered here, but they never find the bodies because they drag them into the woods..
Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
X2 No one robs a home with the occupants inside, Drugs deal gone bad.
oh to be so naive...
Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
There's more to the story than has been reported, guaranteed.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Im guessing drug deal gonr bad too.

If your worried about it just keep your guns close by and just be smart about situations, dont go blindly walking into senarios like that. Signs that say you are armed and will use your guns tend to scary people away too.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Signs that say you are armed and will use your guns tend to scary people away too.
Unless they think they have bigger guns.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple X C0re View Post
People get murdered here, but they never find the bodies because they drag them into the woods..
haha sorry, but for some reason this comment made me laugh. It makes me picture the Hills have Eyes or something
Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
x2 on the drug deal
the quiet little rural areas are the ones with meth labs.
typically you're not gonna have an incident like this over meth

They usually like to keep to themselves, and openly share how to cook it so they dont have to bother with dealing to others
Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
typically you're not gonna have an incident like this over meth

They usually like to keep to themselves, and openly share how to cook it so they dont have to bother with dealing to others
I find this very interesting. I was not aware of this. I guess my meth experience in based on "Breaking Bad".
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
My guess there is more to the story. I hunt and it might be different in Ohio, but in Fl a hunting rifle can't hold more than 5 rounds. Plus, who hunts with an AK47? Second, who has $900 handy to just hand someone incase of a robbery?