Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Central fla hire help/advice.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
danjones is on a distinguished road

Marines: cpl wpns co.
danjones's Tacoma Gallery
Central fla hire help/advice.

looking to become a cop in florida anywhere near tampa. im wondering if anyone has any advice or knows of openings for former military. i get out next year.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried Orlando P.D.? Start now it could take up to a year to get hired. Anywhere in Central Florida is a great place to get hired. Orlando, Orange County S.O., Seminole county S.O., Winter garden P.D. Brevard county S.O., Winter Park, Osceola. These are the agencies I am familiar with. Typically, the P.D.'s pay more than the S.O. Just depends where you want to work. Tampa P.D. is great they have a great retirement. I like the Orlando area better.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Don't take this the wrong way- cuz I'm not trying to be a dick- and I'm happy to help ya out, but have you done ANY research?

Google the major PDs in the areas you'd like to work, that'd be a start. That said, for the Tampa area, HCSO, St. Pete, and Tampa PD are almost always hiring. Tamps requires you to be certified though.

St. Pete is probably the 'easiest' to get on with (though easy is a mis-nomer), as they have a high turnover rate.

As I said, do a quick search, you'll find the answer to your questions
Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
St. Pete is probably the 'easiest' to get on with (though easy is a mis-nomer), as they have a high turnover rate.
That's because south St Pete is an exceptionally brutal enviroment for a police officer.

I'd look at the Sherriff's Offices in Polk, Manatee and Sarasota counties. They hire quite a few candidates right out of the Academy. They may also offer an opportunity to be in uniform serving civil warrants as you work on your patrol certification.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
That's because south St Pete is an exceptionally brutal enviroment for a police officer.

I'd look at the Sherriff's Offices in Polk, Manatee and Sarasota counties. They hire quite a few candidates right out of the Academy. They may also offer an opportunity to be in uniform serving civil warrants as you work on your patrol certification.
Well Sarasota has a hiring list 20+ people long, many of them certified. Manatee is pretty full aswell. It seems that when the economy took a dump, everybody wanted to be a cop.

Good luck, and begin the application process now.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know any about about Florida and LE there...but, I see you guys talk about being "certified" not all cops are certified through an academy over there? Can someone just be a cop and not be certified? I'm just wondering...
Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatters View Post
Don't know any about about Florida and LE there...but, I see you guys talk about being "certified" not all cops are certified through an academy over there? Can someone just be a cop and not be certified? I'm just wondering...
NO. You must go through the academy and take the FDLE State certification test. It is a massive 4 hour test that you must get an 80 or above on to become "certified." You must go through the academy to sit for the exam. If you were a LEO somewhere else you can take a crossover academy (much shorter, couple of weeks) and sit for the exam. Other than that you are just a security guard.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
ok, yeah thats what I thought....I just imagined a regular person walking into a dept and asking for a badge and receiving it for some reason...heh..
Old 12-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatters View Post
ok, yeah thats what I thought....I just imagined a regular person walking into a dept and asking for a badge and receiving it for some reason...heh..
lol
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
If you are not yet a FL resident, it will be hard as hell to get hired as LEO, unless you are transferring from another department.

Some like HCSO will pay for your academy, but with all the budget cuts I think Orlando PD/Orange County S.O. and Miami-Dade are the only departments hiring righ now...
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
If you are not yet a FL resident, it will be hard as hell to get hired as LEO, unless you are transferring from another department.

Some like HCSO will pay for your academy, but with all the budget cuts I think Orlando PD/Orange County S.O. and Miami-Dade are the only departments hiring righ now...

Miami Dade has had a hiring freeze going strong since 2008. They are NOT hiring.

The few positions they filled were from those who the hired in 08, then un-hired due to the freeze.

Do not fill out an app for Miami Dade- waste of time and paper
Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #12

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Orlando P.D. is hiring mostly pre-certified,or experienced Officers first. They are taking newbies on occasion. It is bets just to go to the academy on your own then try to get hired. Budget cuts are right. Plus they have had sponsored people drop out relatively quickly. With a G.I. bill I am somewhat sure it will cover your academy costs. The process is long in accordance with what everyone here has said. Military background will help!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
Miami Dade has had a hiring freeze going strong since 2008. They are NOT hiring.

Do not fill out an app for Miami Dade- waste of time and paper
Not surprised to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Orlando P.D. is hiring mostly pre-certified,or experienced Officers first. They are taking newbies on occasion. It is bets just to go to the academy on your own then try to get hired. Budget cuts are right. Plus they have had sponsored people drop out relatively quickly. With a G.I. bill I am somewhat sure it will cover your academy costs. The process is long in accordance with what everyone here has said. Military background will help!
Yes it does, but at least for HCSO, being a former MP does not give you extra points.

+1 on what others said about St. Pete. P.D. Tough environment, tougher city politics and high turnover. I've heard from more than one SPPD member about "getting written up" withing your first year, so as to make you look not good enough for a transfer to another Dept.

Unless you have some major political connections, don't even bother with TPD!