Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Qs for those who work LE, esp. Sheriff Depts...

Old 12-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Qs for those who work LE, esp. Sheriff Depts...

My questions I think are more geared toward those Deputies that work in a correctional capacity but I guess it could apply to anyone.

A little background-
I've worked a combined total of 3 years for Kentucky and Wyoming state corrections (both medium security). I liked the job but had problems with both.

In KY I was only bringing home $1,500 a month, 27-year retirement that we paid in to, and no health insurance. (was optional but an additional $500-600 a month would be taken from what I was already bringing home.) Things were run halfway decent and had kind of an 'old school' mentality with everything.

That wasn't really a 'livable' situation for my family so I moved here to WY. With WYDOC I was bringing home $2,700 a month (49 hr week straight time though), good retirement and health insurance etc. but the administration is ABSOLUTELY RETARDED. They had ALL their priorities screwed up, didn't trust C/Os at all (even trained us to write each other up for ANYTHING, more write-ups were toward other officers than inmates), changed policies on a seemingly daily basis, didn't give a shit about C/Os in general. They blamed C/Os and direct supervisors for all the problems and our high turn-over rate.
When I found out my (now ex) wife was having an affair with an ex-felon from the state pen, one of the Captains put me on unpaid leave because he thought I was going to "attack the inmates". I told him I was fine and the situation had nothing to do with the inmates. He replied "Well my job is to worry about the prison." So now I have no income to support my son and I. Gee thanks.

Needless to say I quit in May this year and started going back to college but changed my major from CJ to Elem. Ed. because I like working with kids.
I've been having second thoughts though and have begun to wonder if I made that change simply to get as far away as I could from the stress of the divorce and the job. I have already planned on moving back to Wisconsin next month where all my family is for the support and to finish college there or whatever.
The Sheriff in my parents' county has been hiring off and on it seems and pays like $20-$29 an hour which is VERY enticing haha. However I have no interest in going back to the career field if the admin is fucking retarded, good pay or not. Are jails run better in general than state prisons? Do they have their shit together? Do they honestly know how and when to be laid back or not, unlike this wannabe para-military state prison that will hire anybody with a pulse? If it all depends on the facility/county, how would you suggest I go about finding out how it's run?

Thanks

CLIFFNOTES
State correctional admin sucked ass, is Co. jails gonna be any different?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, they are all screwed up a little. Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. I love my job. There are no perfect jobs out there (especially with gov't run agencies.) Remember ultimately there is a politician calling the shots behind every gov't run agency. It could be good or bad...Sorry about the wife thing thats really f'd up bro.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I understand every agency has problems to some degree, Kentucky did for sure but it was manageable. People there knew when to take it easy and when to be serious. LTs would occasionally play cards with us, we even had a laundry cart race down the hallway once haha. Things of that nature. But when the SHTF, the officers would do seemingly anything for each other even when we had a riot that burned down/destroyed most of the prison, they performed admirably.

WYDOC however is just absolutely ridiculous and was full of lies and empty promises when we got hired on which is part of the reason why I'm hesitant to try again. They put no focus on the inmates and let them pretty much do what they wanted which made them more brazen and harder to work with. The writing up other officers thing was ridiculous too. What happened to problem solving at the lowest level possible? For example, someone on night shift drew a picture of me (which I thought was funny as hell) and someone on day shift wrote him up and he got in trouble for it. C'mon really? And they wonder why we have a retarded high turn over rate?

It just seems the admin makes or breaks the whole thing. They set the atmosphere and affect the attitudes of everyone there. I just wish I knew the truth about what happens before I get hired on instead of them trying to sugar coat everything.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Try either through a freind or family member to talk to someone who works there. I started out in the jail. Over all it wasn't that bad. The admin was sometimes a pain in the azz but the rest of the Deputies were good to go. I served overseas with a Deputy before I applied and he gave me the skinny. We had quite a few guys transfer from DOC. Everyone of them liked it better.
Good luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Triple Option
Slotback will become famous soon enoughSlotback will become famous soon enough
Slotback's Tacoma Gallery
If you apply at a Sheriff's Office, that DOC experience is generally viewed as a positive.