Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Assaulted on July 4th(Good Read

Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Assaulted on July 4th(Good Read

Okay kinda long story but i am in search for some helpful advice.

On july 4th Michelle and I (my girlfriend) Were driving back from watching fireworks on our way to dinner, While driving we incurred an area that had a great deal of traffic, At the time i was driving my Land Rover. It was stop and go traffic and finally it picked up, I got up to about 15-20MPH and just then all the sudden the guy in front of me SLAMS his brakes for pedestrians crossing a crosswalk, I had to swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting him, I was honked at several times but didnt do any damage or injure anyone, I was quite shaken up so as soon as i could i got back into the lane and turned off a side road into a community.

I was then Followed in by another car that was literally two inches from my bumper all the way to a stop sign, As soon as i stopped, The vehicle behind me swerved to the left and slammed his brakes and stopped right next to my vehicle. The drivers wife proceeded to start yelling at me and saying i put her and her families life in danger, I calmly explained to her that i didnt have time to brake and in order to avoid an accident i had to do what i did, She then gave me a dumb look and started to kinda calm down, At that point her husband gets out and runs to my side of the vehicle and proceeds to put his hands around my neck and start to choke me, Literally cutting off the air, I lifted my fist but did not throw a punch, He then let go as the communities security pulled up and broke up the fight, He started to go back to his car and i got out of my vehicle and started yelling at this guy, Security told me to get back in my vehicle and i compiled. The man got back into his vehicle, Screamed "Fuck you People" as he peeled off with his wife and kids in the vehicle.

I stayed and Michelle and i called Denver County Police and waited and filled out witness forms, A warrant was put out for this man because thankfully security got his plate as he drove away. All three security guards filled statements with us and then we were let go. Over the next few months he was eventually arrested and i was contacted by several people from the courts, I filed a victim compensation statement and now last night i received three letters from the District attorney, 1 stating he plead Not guilty another saying there was a motions hearing set for February 2 and a supeona for the trial on February 15th. Michelle also recieved a supeona and im sure the security guards did it.

Oh and just a little bit about myself, I am a 19 year old male with Cystic Fibrosis, A chronic Lung disease that makes it hard to believe and i wear oxygen at night. At first the DA said he was going to file a Felony Victim at Risk but then was dropped down to a M1 Third degree assault? Is that the worst misdemeanor you can get or the least?

I guess my question is, What kind of lawyer can i get to Sue this man? And should i start the process now or wait until he is found Guilty? I plan on suing him for the emotional and physical damage. Any idea on what this guy might get criminal wise?

Sorry for the long read, Thanks for any help, Advice or kind words in general in advance!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Can't really offer much in the way of advice. Good luck with everything though. People are fucking crazy. Strangling someone who tried to AVOID causing an accident.

Can't say that I would have had the same restraint as you. That guy would have gotten my mag light across the face if that were me!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
RedzTaco43 will become famous soon enough
RedzTaco43's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you can get a lawyer and start the process now
Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh believe me, I wanted to fucking beat the shit out of him, But im 120 pounds and he was a good 180 and also had about 5 inches on me and about 20-25 years of age. Yah this guy was probably in his early 40s. Cant believe someone would put there wife and children though something like that.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

tonyplanet's Tacoma Gallery
Best get the advice of an attorney. Obvious the guy has anger issues. I would feel sorry for his wife and kids. I would be more inclined to settle it outside of court, a simple genuine sorry from the guy would be ok with me. But, I don't know the extent of your pain or emotions, so yes maybe you are justified to take this guy to court.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedzTaco43 View Post
I'm sure you can get a lawyer and start the process now
I would love to i just dont know what kind of lawyer takes this kind of cases, Personal Injury? Defense lawyers? I really have no idea where to start.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
You should have had control of your car at all times. by going in to his lane you where wrong. but he still should not have not did what he did but if u did that to me and risked my wife and kids i would have done a lot worse but thats just me
Old 12-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyplanet View Post
Best get the advice of an attorney. Obvious the guy has anger issues. I would feel sorry for his wife and kids. I would be more inclined to settle it outside of court, a simple genuine sorry from the guy would be ok with me. But, I don't know the extent of your pain or emotions, so yes maybe you are justified to take this guy to court.
Thats just it though, Before he plead not guilty, All i said was he should have to do anger management and at least do a year of probation and write a letter of apology to Myself and my girlfriend. Thats all i asked be done to the guy, The DA offered it for his plea of guilty and he Plead not guilty, Which is kind of a slap in the face (No pun intended) So now im going to take this to the full extent, I highly dislike having my, Very resonable offer completely turned down like he shouldnt have to do a damn thing for ruining my holiday, Scaring the shit out of myself and my girlfriend and causing all this stress and fear for the last... 6 months.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo13zx3 View Post
You should have had control of your car at all times. by going in to his lane you where wrong. but he still should not have not did what he did but if u did that to me and risked my wife and kids i would have done a lot worse but thats just me
Ah, But i never swerved into his lane. He was behind me the whole time in the original lane. He made a personal Vendetta to hunt me down. And even then as soon as the wife pulled up i immediately apologized and tried to calmly explain the situation.

If somebody swerved into my lane with my wife and kids in the car, Yah i would have probably been pretty damn pissed. But you have to realize sometimes people make mistakes and accidents happen.

The way i look at it, Instead of possible injuring a number of people by rear ending the car in front of me, I took action and didnt injure anybody. Which in my eyes is alot better!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyplanet View Post
X2

But I wouldn't settle it. The guy put his hands on you. You're not a big guy, and obviously he picked you as a victim because of your percieved inability to fight back. It's too bad he didn't pick on someone with a gun. If he'd put his hands on you who's to say he wouldn't attack a woman?

And to the poster who said he'd have done the same thing: better rethink that. You're of no use to your wife and kids if you're shot dead by your potential victim or if you wind up in prison for attacking someone.

It's fucking bullshit all these people out there who don't have an ounce of respect for human lives.

What happened to you is the reason I NEVER roll down a window to speak to anyone. You're a sitting duck in a car and too many people don't care about anyone else's life.

I see the world as being on a slow plunge into hell. I used to think it was just me and my jacked up way of thinking. Then I had a conversation with a 70 year old man who told me how he used to hitchhike around California in his youth and how he realized later that there were strangers who were checking up on him while he was sleeping under bridges and in creek beds. He said to me "people used to care about people". It's stuck with me ever since. What the fuck is happening to us?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Go to http://www.handelonthelaw.com/home/ you'll find a lawyer for your area and the type of lawyer there.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Easily Replaceable Member
elmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedelmo7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
elmo7's Tacoma Gallery
Two people walking in a grocery store both turn the corner and almost bump carts:
"Oh - sorry!"
"No problem, it's my fault!"
"Ha ha!"
"Have a good one!"

Two people driving and almost have a fender bender:
"You stupid son-of-a-bitch! I should kill your ass for that!"
"Oh yeah, well stay the fuck out of my way you sorry sack of shit!"

I don't get it.....but I see it all the time.

Not blaming you for anything OP. Just stating the sad facts of the public these days. And as someone else said, never roll down your window for anyone. When people are going nuts like that, best to just move on, as they don't want a detailed explanation - they want a fight. Hope dude gets what's coming to him.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #14

I was more then willing to admit my mistake and apologize in whatever way possible until he decided to try and be Mr. Bad ass show off. I dont ever roll my windows down anymore even if im driving. I use AC and Heat often. I also now open carry a Ruger P95 Centerfire with my at all times. It kind of scares me to think that if something like this arises again i will not hesistate to protect myself with lethal force. I dont think i could have handled it if i would have shot that man if i was carrying at the time. especially in the front of his family. Almost no one deserves that. And children Never do!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Get him pressed for assault but suing is dumb in this situation in my opinion. God this country is so sue happy nowadays.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #16
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
X2

But I wouldn't settle it. The guy put his hands on you. You're not a big guy, and obviously he picked you as a victim because of your percieved inability to fight back. It's too bad he didn't pick on someone with a gun. If he'd put his hands on you who's to say he wouldn't attack a woman?

And to the poster who said he'd have done the same thing: better rethink that. You're of no use to your wife and kids if you're shot dead by your potential victim or if you wind up in prison for attacking someone.

It's fucking bullshit all these people out there who don't have an ounce of respect for human lives.

What happened to you is the reason I NEVER roll down a window to speak to anyone. You're a sitting duck in a car and too many people don't care about anyone else's life.

I see the world as being on a slow plunge into hell. I used to think it was just me and my jacked up way of thinking. Then I had a conversation with a 70 year old man who told me how he used to hitchhike around California in his youth and how he realized later that there were strangers who were checking up on him while he was sleeping under bridges and in creek beds. He said to me "people used to care about people". It's stuck with me ever since. What the fuck is happening to us?
Well stated ... I agree and ask that question almost daily.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
Tacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to allTacoma206 is a name known to all

Name: Mike
Tacoma206's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
X2

^^^ That is really depressing. Hopefully your view of the world encourages you to be a better person and to change the course from a "slow plunge into hell".

To the OP: Sorry about your situation and I would consult a lawyer, but I hope you also look at this situation as an opportunity to learn something here too. You are incredibly lucky that the security guards were there to help you out. If you knew this guy was following you into a parking lot and it seems you clearly realized he was angry since he was essentially riding your ass by 2 inches all the way to stop sign (the implication is that it is a significant distance to the stop sign), you should have driven straight to the police and not have stopped. Honestly, road rage is not something to mess with. If ever in a situation like, just drive away immediately, even if you have good intentions, and call the police (even while driving if you have to).
Old 12-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
My Girlfriend's little brother of 8 has CF and he is a trooper man for wearing his vibrating chest vest every night and being in the hospital every month. and damn you sure have earned my respect for not throwin a punch at that man for tryin to choke you. im sure you already have to jump through hoops to keep your respiratory organs in good shape!

hope it all works out for you man. Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #19
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Hope everything works out for you. Subbed for the outcome
Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
jvallin is on a distinguished road

EMS: Critical Care EMT
Name: joey
jvallin's Tacoma Gallery
These are the kind of reasons that I have a concealed carry permit and never leave home without my Glock .40 I dont want to have to shoot someone but if my families safety is at stake I wont hesitate. I would consider yourself lucky that the community police arrived when he did, he could have saved your life. My wife had a stalker for a while who made her life a living hell and did all kinds of horrible things to her dog not to mention the threats he made to her. I do not mean this in any way shape or form to be disrespectful to you although I am sure someone will end up offended, but always remember that being a victim is often a choice, if you are at a physical disadvantage get a firearm. If you see some homicidal maniac approach you at a stop sign take off, floor it, run him over, whatever you have to do. But your safety and especially your families safety always comes first. Good luck with your case and be safe out there.