Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Things like this make me mad.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
iForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to alliForceTUNDRA is a name known to all
iForceTUNDRA's Tacoma Gallery
Things like this make me mad.

Thoughts? Personally, I feel that this is COMPLETELY WRONG. I know the LEO guys on here will chime in eventually....just trying to see how other people feel about this.
http://lawenforcementtoday.com/2012/...g-not-his-job/
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iForceTUNDRA View Post
Thoughts? Personally, I feel that this is COMPLETELY WRONG. I know the LEO guys on here will chime in eventually....just trying to see how other people feel about this.
Should he be covered? yes
BUT
This is why I carry a disposable CPR mask (issued by my dept) on my person. Its located in a cuff case on my belt, because you never know when you're going to have to use that.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Jdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdaniel1274 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Daniel
Jdaniel1274's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with you, he should be covered, because it is considered part of his job. To serve and protect.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
I carry my own medic bag on duty to treat other officers and/or myself before EMS arrives. I'm CLS trained, so I can plug holes and apply tourniquets, but I'd much rather leave the medic work for the professionals.

I would use it if necessary to save a life, but if I know the person can hang on until EMS arrives I won't use it.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
I have first responder training, so I have no choice but to do my best to treat someone. Part of my job.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Not LEO yet but I have medic training - I would not do mouth to mouth even on a 10year old. Sounds bad but i've seen it all and it's just not worth the risks. Not to mention straight chest compressions can help with minimal air circulation as well.
I do plan to carry a mask in case though.. and most departments here issue a first responder bag to. Oddly my boyfriends has a lot of things in it he can't legally use without more training.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Biographical Info

Deputy Sheriff

Sebastian Diana

Orange County Sheriff's Office, Florida

End of Watch: Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tour of Duty: 12 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Duty related illness
Date of Incident: February 27, 2006
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available

Deputy Sebastian Diana died from complications of a bacterial infection he contracted while attempting to save an infant.

On February 26, 2006, Deputy Diana responded to a 911 call involving an 3-month-old child who wasn't breathing. He was the first deputy on scene and immediately began CPR, during which he came in contact with the child's vomit.

As a result of his efforts he contracted a bacterial infection that caused him to suffer continued health issues that ultimately led to heart failure.

Deputy Diana had served with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for 12 years. He is survived by his wife and four children.
My buddy Seabass. Good man went to the academy with him.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iForceTUNDRA View Post
This is not suprising to me. It is common nowdays.

I had a choice to do CPR with no mask or go back and get it from my vehicle. Luckily the FD rolled up when I went back to my vehicle to get it. They brought the guy back to life. Dont question the fact I didnt do CPR without a mask.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 PSAP/1st Civ Div
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
There's no way that I'd give mouth to mouth to anyone without a mask. And even with a mask, there's chances of vomit coming up through the valve (even the "one-way valves). Had a Paramedic buddy that had a guy vomit while masked and it shot up through the valve, luckily he wasn't breathing into it at the time.

Now a days they're starting to train that chest compressions are more effective than breaths anyways.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
somerset is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: rcmp
somerset's Tacoma Gallery
Not Covered

No brainer that the officer should of been covered, I guess in the end regardless of any "Good Samaritan Act" or "Duty to Rescue". The LEO has to make that decision him/herself, and in the end will have to live with that decision for the rest of their lives.

If they are still alive to talk about it, then it was the right decision.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel1274 View Post
I agree with you, he should be covered, because it is considered part of his job. To serve and protect.
Check out Castle Rock Vs Gonzales. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo- But it comes down to the fact that cops AREN'T mandated to "serve and protect" in most places and that there is no requirement that they do because of the burden of liability for that protection.
I have great respect for most LEOs...but unless they are very lucky-They will spend the majority of their careers as armed historians.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 PSAP/1st Civ Div
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Check out Castle Rock Vs Gonzales. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo- But it comes down to the fact that cops AREN'T mandated to "serve and protect" in most places and that there is no requirement that they do because of the burden of liability for that protection.
I have great respect for most LEOs...but unless they are very lucky-They will spend the majority of their careers as armed historians.
True, only a few departments around here carry AED's in their patrol cars. The other agencies decided against it because it was too much of a liability. Medical is left to the first responders, emts, and paramedics. And a fact that I just recently learned, apparently our state troopers are certified first responders.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm imagining a lifetime movie plot where a city council person making this type of medical coverage denial decision turns out needing help from that same officer that was denied coverage from a similar incident. I'm also imagining that person dying in the movie due to the officer's frozen natural instinct responses because of the denial nonsense.

I see a much bigger possible loss to the city having personnel show up and do nothing in the form of court time and lawyer fees acting to defend inactions of first responders.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
working out in industrial areas, we are the ones who will be calling the EMS if we need to. As such, we are always the first ones on scene and are all trained in "First Aid Class C + AED" which is what it says on my certificate. We don't carry around masks and I hope I never have to give a greasy rig worker the kiss of like but I think instinct would take over if I was ever in the situation. Our health plan would cover us though.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
badboyrr is on a distinguished road

Army: UH-60A Crew Chief
badboyrr's Tacoma Gallery
Good cop

My hats off to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Biographical Info

Deputy Sheriff

Sebastian Diana

Orange County Sheriff's Office, Florida

End of Watch: Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tour of Duty: 12 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Duty related illness
Date of Incident: February 27, 2006
Weapon Used: Not available
Suspect Info: Not available

Deputy Sebastian Diana died from complications of a bacterial infection he contracted while attempting to save an infant.

On February 26, 2006, Deputy Diana responded to a 911 call involving an 3-month-old child who wasn't breathing. He was the first deputy on scene and immediately began CPR, during which he came in contact with the child's vomit.

As a result of his efforts he contracted a bacterial infection that caused him to suffer continued health issues that ultimately led to heart failure.

Deputy Diana had served with the Orange County Sheriff's Office for 12 years. He is survived by his wife and four children.
My buddy Seabass. Good man went to the academy with him.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
working out in industrial areas, we are the ones who will be calling the EMS if we need to. As such, we are always the first ones on scene and are all trained in "First Aid Class C + AED" which is what it says on my certificate. We don't carry around masks and I hope I never have to give a greasy rig worker the kiss of like but I think instinct would take over if I was ever in the situation. Our health plan would cover us though.
Don't they still have those deals where you put one end in the victims mouth and one end in yours where there is no direct contact to do this?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Several first responders have told me on the Q.T.that they won't give mouth-to-mouth it if they don't have a mask. I carry one in the first aid kit in my truck. Glad the newest CPR standards say to just keep compressions going w/o any breathing.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
NYSP trains all troopers to be a first responders. We a required to act on this training during any situation that would require this level. Every emergency is equiped with cpr (one way valve) masks along with other emergency medical supplies. If you have to perform cpr and choose not to use the mask then its on you.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Working on LEO but just based off of my lifesaver/bloodborne pathogens/EMT-B training you won't find me doing mouth to mouth on well...just about anyone including family. I'll at least cover my mouth with a shirt if it absolutely came down to it with a family member to try and keep anything like that from coming into contact with my mouth. Regardless of the patient you need to take a step back and realize it's not YOUR emergency and calls involving kids can induce that instinctual response to help without analyzing the situation first. That being said all of our boats have EMT kits and I always carry a CPR mask and rubber gloves in my center console just in case.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
TacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AL
TacoAL's Tacoma Gallery
Man do not throw out the EMT card without a NREMT #. insulto de inhumó is insulting.