Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Going to take my written for LA Sheriff's on Feb 21st, advise!!! Please.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Going to take my written for LA Sheriff's on Feb 21st, advise!!! Please.

I am super excited right now so sorry if this thread is a lot of rambling. I got a little yellow postcard today to participate in a written test for Deputy Sherrif Trainee. It is on the 21st. I know this is just the begining of the hiring process but I want to be prepared to the fullest. Please shoot me any advise on what I need to prepare for, what I need to read, what to watch, what to expect. Thank you TacomaWorld.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, I just posted a similar thread. Haven't got a response yet either. I am trying to find some good resources to study and look over. Hoping someone here will be able to chime in.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was actually thinking I would get some pretty quick responses but guess not. Whats your situation bro? Where you headed to?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Bump, no coppers out there with advise? Only got 10 days left guys.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Google would help too. You can buy a book and study the hell out of it. There are books for almost every exam imaginable. I used my local libraries with great success. I was in the library for 3 hours a day after an 11 hr shift. My wife also got her book online but she had a couple months before her medical board.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
TACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACWUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACWUT's Tacoma Gallery
Also, watch what you post online. Things that you do now, will impact you greatly. A test is only the first part.just saying.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
not a LEO...but have taken a few of the written exams...and after passing done the oral exams...the ones i have taken have been EASY...common sense stuff. Not sure of your situation or what their test would consist of but least for the 3 i have taken i passed with very high scores for all of them...unfortunately still in the process for 2 of them...got dropped from the US capital police for some odd reason after scoring a 96...??? sooo something was up on that.

best of luck to ya!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
puppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: al
puppytruk's Tacoma Gallery
There are police officer/civil servant exam materials that may be helpful
at libraries or online. Arrive a little early, relax be confident in yourself,
take your time, dont over analyze questions.
If you arent already, start a steady workout program w/ cardio/running 3 or 4 times a week as well as some strength training (bodyweight or lifting) as there will most likely be a fitness test at some point. Be confident and ready to do your best throughout each portion of the process.
Keep us posted, good luck and God bless !
Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Just curious but what steps did you take to get the postcard in the mail and getting your written test date?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Our's was mostly grammer and stuff...Should be easy though, our's was. You need to be physically prepared as well as mentally. The slightest little stupid thing can keep you from getting a job. Be honest most of all. When you get hired....K9. Best job in the world.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #11

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin View Post
not a LEO...but have taken a few of the written exams...and after passing done the oral exams...the ones i have taken have been EASY...common sense stuff. Not sure of your situation or what their test would consist of but least for the 3 i have taken i passed with very high scores for all of them...unfortunately still in the process for 2 of them...got dropped from the US capital police for some odd reason after scoring a 96...??? sooo something was up on that.

best of luck to ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppytruk View Post
There are police officer/civil servant exam materials that may be helpful
at libraries or online. Arrive a little early, relax be confident in yourself,
take your time, dont over analyze questions.
If you arent already, start a steady workout program w/ cardio/running 3 or 4 times a week as well as some strength training (bodyweight or lifting) as there will most likely be a fitness test at some point. Be confident and ready to do your best throughout each portion of the process.
Keep us posted, good luck and God bless !
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Our's was mostly grammer and stuff...Should be easy though, our's was. You need to be physically prepared as well as mentally. The slightest little stupid thing can keep you from getting a job. Be honest most of all. When you get hired....K9. Best job in the world.
Thanks for the tips fellas. I will look online and in the library for material to read. I had just started doing 4 mile runs every other day but it takes me almost an hour to do it. Ill amp that up a bit to be in decent shape if the written goes well. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
Just curious but what steps did you take to get the postcard in the mail and getting your written test date?
The only thing I did was apply online at the Sherrif's website. I did that a few months ago so it took a while before I got this. But that was the only thing, nothing special.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
UH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the roughUH60Hwkdrvr is a jewel in the rough

Army: Helicopter Pilot
UH60Hwkdrvr's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my ADVICE: Learn to spell. Advise vs. advice.
Take an effective writing class.

So much of LE involves effective communication via the written word. Don't rely on spell check.
Your written reports represent you (to the prosecuting attorney, to your supervisor, etc...) long before anyone ever gets a chance to interview you about the matter in question. First impressions are lasting impressions.

Good luck with the test!

M.A.C.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #13

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH60Hwkdrvr View Post
Here is my ADVICE: Learn to spell. Advise vs. advice.
Take an effective writing class.

So much of LE involves effective communication via the written word. Don't rely on spell check.
Your written reports represent you (to the prosecuting attorney, to your supervisor, etc...) long before anyone ever gets a chance to interview you about matter in question. First impressions are lasting impressions.

Good luck with the test!

M.A.C.
I understand the point your trying to get across, but I used the word I meant to. I meant Advise, for you guys to advise me, not advice. Thanks though, you make a great point.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Usually the first test they call you in for is just basic grammar and math stuff to see if you have a basic high school education. Also to make sure they're not wasting their time with you. Then if they decide they may be interested in you the real fun beings; background check, psych evaluation, physical agility, full physical exam, stress test, polygraph. If you can jump through the hoops with a smile on your face then you may get a job offer. There are some guides on Amazon.com that help with police employment. Some are location specific.

http://www.policejobsinfo.com/find-a...who-is-hiring/

http://www.amazon.com/California-Pol...9092304&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/California-Pol...9092304&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Polic...092489&sr=8-19
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
Advice................Take the Firefighters test instead. Get paid to eat and sleep.
Also close down all your social media sites.Facebook, twitter, myspace,etc.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #16

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
Advice................Take the Firefighters test instead. Get paid to eat and sleep.
I dont want to be a firefighter, plus I think it is much harder to become a firefighter than a sheriff in California. I have my Facebook on completely private, do you guys think I should just shut it down completely?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #17
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
I dont want to be a firefighter, plus I think it is much harder to become a firefighter than a sheriff in California. I have my Facebook on completely private, do you guys think I should just shut it down completely?

i would say shut it delete it or shut it down...i had a buddy who was going for a local pd job and they brought him in and sat him at a computer and told him to log onto his facebook....dont know if its completely true or not...but i believe it enough to do it if i get to that stage. Another buddy who is a LEO got rid of his for a few years and it wasnt until recently when he got married he made another one.

better to be safe than sorry. Dont want something stupid like facebook to keep you from reaching your goal
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
^^^THIS^^^ plus a defense attorney would love to read some of your off color comments to a jury.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
This

Quote:
This, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddin View Post
i would say shut it delete it or shut it down...i had a buddy who was going for a local pd job and they brought him in and sat him at a computer and told him to log onto his facebook....dont know if its completely true or not...but i believe it enough to do it if i get to that stage. Another buddy who is a LEO got rid of his for a few years and it wasnt until recently when he got married he made another one.

better to be safe than sorry. Dont want something stupid like facebook to keep you from reaching your goal
This happened to me. The private stuff didnt matter for me, as they had me log in to my own page, then the background investigator and assistant chief went through it. Just clean it up- no pictures drinking/partying, no N******r jokes, etc. and you'll be fine.

But also, this:

Quote:
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #20

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post

This happened to me. The private stuff didnt matter for me, as they had me log in to my own page, then the background investigator and assistant chief went through it. Just clean it up- no pictures drinking/partying, no N******r jokes, etc. and you'll be fine.

But also, this:
I'll just delete it when I get home. There isn't anything on there that makes me look bad but just to play it safe. I guess I might consider the firefighter thing if this doesnt go well since you guys are suggesting it, I never have considered it but I really don't think there is a demand for them in Kern County California and I'm not going to be moving out of town to be one, plus I think you do need a degree to be one now, not sure though.

Products Discussed in this Thread