Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Concealed Handgun for service members

Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #21
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
I am not sure but a while ago they passed a law pertaining to a nationwide concealed carry for active duty military and Law Enforcement personnel. not sure about the base though. However, I know that Law Enforcement can carry concealed nationwide. I think...Might be something to look into. I have my concealed permit just in case I get relieved of duty. But, better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure if your MP department has legal advice but you may wanna shoot them a call. They will know for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
Do you have any information on this nationwide concealed carry? I'm deployed right now, so I don't have the best of resources to research stuff.

I've not heard of this law including military personnel, but it could.

As for the officer part, it is nation-wide, and its everywhere except on planes. You must be on-duty to carry on a plane. And you must be a sworn officer- meaning that you are under the employ of a LE agency as a police officer- not just certified.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
can always get non-resident CWPs for states that allow it. In the process of getting my AZ non-resident.

^ I'm confused. I was under the impression that this isn't necessary if the state in question has a 'reciprocity' agreement with the state in which you posses a permit.

The state of Florida recognizes a bunch of other states' permits, so you don't need a Florida permit to carry in Florida
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
^ I'm confused. I was under the impression that this isn't necessary if the state in question has a 'reciprocity' agreement with the state in which you posses a permit.

The state of Florida recognizes a bunch of other states' permits, so you don't need a Florida permit to carry in Florida
correct, but only if the states in question have reciprocity. With my SC resident, I cant carry in GA, AL, or MS...no reciprocity. When my AZ non-resident comes in, I will then be able to carry in these 3 states because of the reciprocity between those states and the AZ non-resident.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
It would be nice if there was a national carry permit. I have a CCW permit and don't think I can carry in my neighboring states.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
It would be nice if there was a national carry permit. I have a CCW permit and don't think I can carry in my neighboring states.
go to usacarry.com and click on the 'concealed carry maps'. Click on Conn. and click on resident and it will show where you have reciprocity.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #26
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
I've not heard of this law including military personnel, but it could.

As for the officer part, it is nation-wide, and its everywhere except on planes. You must be on-duty to carry on a plane. And you must be a sworn officer- meaning that you are under the employ of a LE agency as a police officer- not just certified.
OK maybe it is just LE. wasn't real sure.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
HAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedHAVOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
HAVOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
go to usacarry.com and click on the 'concealed carry maps'. Click on Conn. and click on resident and it will show where you have reciprocity.
I'm surrounded (by states that won't allow me to carry)! Guess I have to leave the pistol home if I cross the state line.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
jmayday23 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
jmayday23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
I am in the military and I am going to be going on leave here soon back home (Oregon.)
While I am there I want to get my concealed handgun permit. Now I have heard that certain states will wave the handgun safety class for active duty military. I was wondering if Oregon is one of these states.
If anyone knows, please let me know. Thank you.
I had an Oregon CCW while active duty and they did waive the course. That was like ten years ago though, not sure if they still do. It was pretty easy, I just picked up the req'd forms from the local sheriff's office and submitted them at the courthouse, got my picture taken and waited about three weeks for my permit.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC View Post
I'm surrounded (by states that won't allow me to carry)! Guess I have to leave the pistol home if I cross the state line.
doesnt mean that you necassarily have to leave it home, just cant concealed carry. you'd need to check into the individual states laws about having them in vehicles. SC for instance, anyone can have a loaded pistol in their vehicle as long as it's in a locked/closed compartment (ie glovebox, center console, anything locked or latched).
Old 05-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #30
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
Goggle:

Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act "HR 218", I haven't read it recently but I believe it covers active military

National Right-To-Carry Act "HR 822", This hasn't passed as far as I know but it is an effort to get nationwide carry for all permit holders.

Also refer to NRA.org
Old 05-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
cjcarner is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Colin
cjcarner's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure what they do in other states, but GA has concealed or open carry with an Active Military ID. Also exempt from the public gathering clause. In any case, get a permit in a couple states as a non-resident (FL, UT I believe?, some others) and the reciprocity should work in most states.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
overactor is on a distinguished road
Army: Alpha Co 1st-504th PIR Airborne Intantry
Name: robbie
overactor's Tacoma Gallery
Fort Bragg here and yes you can carry concealed off base. not on base
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #34
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overactor View Post
Fort Bragg here and yes you can carry concealed off base. not on base
only concealed off base w/ permit.

hell, just open carry in NC. cities make their own statues and prohibitions, but it's legal across the state.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcarner View Post
Not sure what they do in other states, but GA has concealed or open carry with an Active Military ID. Also exempt from the public gathering clause. In any case, get a permit in a couple states as a non-resident (FL, UT I believe?, some others) and the reciprocity should work in most states.
Not exactly "most"
FL + UT or AZ gives you around 25-28 states. More than "half", which is technically "most", but using the term "most" is a misleading stretch.
California has no recip and no non-resident. Many states have no non-resident, and many other states, while they may have recip with FL and UT/AZ, will not honor recip for those in possession of a non-resident permit.
Colorado, South Carolina, Michigan, etc...
Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
I have my FL concealed carry license and we are allowed to have it at fort sill, but obviously you can't carry on post just off. Also you need to check the reprocity(sp?) laws and see what states allow you to use it in.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #37
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
HR-218

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
I am not sure but a while ago they passed a law pertaining to a nationwide concealed carry for active duty military and Law Enforcement personnel. not sure about the base though. However, I know that Law Enforcement can carry concealed nationwide. them a call.

Don't know about military, but the law pertaing to law enforcement personnel is referred to as H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004

http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
In the Republic of Maryland, never would happen.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #39
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
The national concealed carry is HR 822

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr822rfs.pdf
Old 08-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #40
Thurl1103 is on a distinguished road

Army:
Thurl1103's Tacoma Gallery
Active duty military may NOT CCW just based on active duty status!!!!!! Must have a CCW.

Exceptions to this are: Active duty personnel who carry concealed as a part of their everyday duties and responsibilities (and are issued a Badge and Credentials which grant them CCW status) on base/post (ex. Army CID, Marine CID, AFOSI etc etc). These active duty military LE agencies (and some Reservist Army CID, Marine CID, AFOSI etc etc who are on Title 10 status) may carry concealed nationwide on and off of US Government property under the protection of; the LE Safety Act, their respective command's regulations and The Uniform Code of Military Justice while on duty or in performance of their duties off govt property.

This means; standard active duty personnel (ex. Infantry, regular MP, mechanics, supply clerks, admin, field artillery, etc etc) CANNOT carry a concealed weapon on or off base/post. Just like private civilian citizens, active duty military must have: CCW permit. In addition active duty military must have PCS orders to a particular state which will recognize that CCW permit, MUST be out of uniform (Im pretty sure this is correct but not totally) and off post/base.

To go further, active duty members (except like those military LE listed above) may not represent the Armed Forces in any way while carrying concealed. So, if you happen to intervene in an incident, you are intervening as a PRIVATE CITIZEN ONLY (ex. YOU CAN NOT announce you are "US Army...... STOP!!!" show an military ID card like its a badge of some sort, expect/gain compliance or affect a custody of anyone breaking local state or federal law, and using your previously concealed firearm to do it.(you will violate that persons 4th Amendment Rights and Posse Comitatus if you do)

However, active duty military can CCW out of uniform off post/base and use a firearm for self defense!! Lastly, if you carry concealed on post/base and are caught you will be apprehended by MPs. If you are caught off post/base without a CCW you will be arrested and probably prosecuted. If you represent the US Armed Forces in a manner deemed only appropriate for LE while using the force of a firearm, you will be arrested and then prosecuted by Civilian and then later by a Military court and you most likely will go to state prison then fed prison. Don't do it.

I advise you research Your Local, State and Federal Laws concerning CCW as well as your home stations Local and State Laws, and then contact your local MP Station for; guidance and rules and regulation concerning the concealability of, transportation of and possession of personally owned firearms on and off post/base.

DISCLAIMER: The information above is for general purposes only. The author assumes no responsibility for misinterpretation by any reader of its content. The information related in this post is not all inclusive and may differ in some areas. Do YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU CCW AND ACT WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THOSE LAWS.