Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Concealed Handgun for service members

Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery

So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if Active Duty service members are allowed to have concealed handgun permits?

I know, that where I'm stationed (Alaska) we are not allowed to conceal carry, due to a bunch of idiots doing stupid shit their not supposed to. But what about in your state of residence?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:

So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if Active Duty service members are allowed to have concealed handgun permits?

I know, that where I'm stationed (Alaska) we are not allowed to conceal carry, due to a bunch of idiots doing stupid shit their not supposed to. But what about in your state of residence?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Army:
Oregon concealed handgun question

I am in the military and I am going to be going on leave here soon back home (Oregon.)
While I am there I want to get my concealed handgun permit. Now I have heard that certain states will wave the handgun safety class for active duty military. I was wondering if Oregon is one of these states.
If anyone knows, please let me know. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Army:

Now I am not a member of Law Enforcement, but I have a couple questions for ya'll.

First question, does anyone know if Active Duty military are able to obtain concealed handgun permits. I know where I am stationed (Alaska) service members are not allowed to conceal carry. But what about in the lower 48?

Second question. I have heard that in some states, they will wave the handgun safety class for Active Duty military. Does Oregon abide by this, or no?

If anyone can answer either of these questions, it would be greatly appriciated.
Thank you.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Why did you make 3 threads on this?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on the state you are stationed. Also you have to check with your command, ask around your unit. I'm sure they got tons of info for ya.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleyota View Post
It depends on the state you are stationed. Also you have to check with your command, ask around your unit. I'm sure they got tons of info for ya.
I aint trying to get one in the state I'm stationed cause Alaska doesn't have permits for concealed carry so I'm good on that. And I have asked around my unit but no one really seems to know a definately answer on it.
Just curious is all.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Why did you make 3 threads on this?
You never know who's checking out what sections and someone in another may know a different answer that someone else.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
No need to make mutliple threads on the same topic.

*waves magic merge wand*
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know you can only get a permit for carry in the state/county where you are stationed because you are considered a resident of that state where you are based. Ask you superiors or your local law enforcement office.
FWIW I've found a link on Alaska CC. http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/perm...g/achpfaq.aspx
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
As far as I know you can only get a permit for carry in the state/county where you are stationed because you are considered a resident of that state where you are based. Ask you superiors or your local law enforcement office.
FWIW I've found a link on Alaska CC. http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/perm...g/achpfaq.aspx
can always get non-resident CWPs for states that allow it. In the process of getting my AZ non-resident.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a permit anywhere you like, if you follow that states carry rules. You must comply with base policy regardless of having a permit. Base policy varies widely. Some have a place to lock up your firearm, some do not.
Tread carefully, and talk to someone you trust. Some people, even military, do not react well when you ask them about bringing weapons on base.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
You can get a permit anywhere you like, if you follow that states carry rules. You must comply with base policy regardless of having a permit. Base policy varies widely. Some have a place to lock up your firearm, some do not.
Tread carefully, and talk to someone you trust. Some people, even military, do not react well when you ask them about bringing weapons on base.
I still need to go by the local security office here and ask face to face about the local policy. I have not seen any signs coming on base about firearms. I know you cant have them in a federal building, but i'd still like to carry to/from work. Wouldnt mind registering it on base like for hunting and leave it locked in the car while at work.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure but a while ago they passed a law pertaining to a nationwide concealed carry for active duty military and Law Enforcement personnel. not sure about the base though. However, I know that Law Enforcement can carry concealed nationwide. I think...Might be something to look into. I have my concealed permit just in case I get relieved of duty. But, better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure if your MP department has legal advice but you may wanna shoot them a call. They will know for sure.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
I am not sure but a while ago they passed a law pertaining to a nationwide concealed carry for active duty military and Law Enforcement personnel. not sure about the base though. However, I know that Law Enforcement can carry concealed nationwide. I think...Might be something to look into. I have my concealed permit just in case I get relieved of duty. But, better to be safe than sorry. I am not sure if your MP department has legal advice but you may wanna shoot them a call. They will know for sure.
base JAG
Old 02-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
base JAG
If you find anything out please post. Curious myself when coming into contact w/ active duty military.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
If you find anything out please post. Curious myself when coming into contact w/ active duty military.
called the LE desk tonight. no to carring on base except to/from hunting...even if just in the vehicle and not on the person. SC state law says anyone can have a loaded weapon in the vehicle as long as it is in a closed/locked compartment. the federal law trumps in this case. they said there is one gate on base (conveniently across the other side from where i come in) that you can declare a weapon and they will store it for your duration on post.

and back to the OP, active duty members in SC can get a resident CWP. they just have to submit a copy of their PCS orders with the application (from what i took away from the class last September...same goes for purchasing a firearm here).
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #18

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
called the LE desk tonight. no to carring on base except to/from hunting...even if just in the vehicle and not on the person. SC state law says anyone can have a loaded weapon in the vehicle as long as it is in a closed/locked compartment. the federal law trumps in this case. they said there is one gate on base (conveniently across the other side from where i come in) that you can declare a weapon and they will store it for your duration on post.

and back to the OP, active duty members in SC can get a resident CWP. they just have to submit a copy of their PCS orders with the application (from what i took away from the class last September...same goes for purchasing a firearm here).
Somewhat similar to Florida. Florida is very liberal w/ gun laws. Just wondering if anyone had clarification on the federal law.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #19
Army:
Quote:
Do you have any information on this nationwide concealed carry? I'm deployed right now, so I don't have the best of resources to research stuff.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #20

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
Do you have any information on this nationwide concealed carry? I'm deployed right now, so I don't have the best of resources to research stuff.
OK, might be easier for me to give our legal advisors a call today. Probably should have done that in the first place..lol