Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

When you pulled over a driver...

Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #101
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I got pulled over a lot as a teenager. While I don't pretend I never did anything wrong, I grew up in a small town and there were several officers that had hard-ons for kids driving sports cars (which I had several of). That and my penchant for blasting "Cop Killer" by Body Count during a stop after a while..

The few times since then I've made sure to be polite even when I wasn't doing anything wrong and had much better results..more flies with honey
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #102
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Never admit that you violated the law. Admission of guilt. That's what I've always been told. Just politley tell them you don't want to answer that question if it forces you to admit guilt to breaking the law. It's your right.

For example, they ask, do you know how fast you were traveling? After they just pulled you over for speeding. If you say yes, you are admitting to knowingly breaking the law by speeding. If you say no, your admitting to inattentive driving.
Correct, you are not required to answer anything and you do have the right to "plead the 5th".

But if someones refuses to answer a question about a simple traffic violation, they just sound like an idiot "street lawyer".... And still end up with a ticket and no compassion from me. In fact, that move might help them end up with an additional citation for something I may have just let go; i.e. expired insurance card, not updating address on license or vehicle registration, etc.

You're better off just playing dumb & ignorant by saying "I don't know" rather than, "It's my right not to answer your question."
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #103
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Like anyone else, if you want to understand why an officer acts as they do, you have to understand the thought process.

I read a couple of books on the subject, plus have a relative on the LAPD and the following always seem to come through:

Police are targets. This is driven home anytime something happens to an officer and it is reported in the media, be it an accusation or an assault/murder of an officer. Every time an officer deals with a person they don't know if that might be that time. You can go a long way by allaying the officer's fear.

Never argue. You will lose, and it will be by getting a ticket. If you plan to fight it, don't tell them. My friend once tossed out a name of someone he supposedly knew in the legal system during a stop. He fought the ticket and believe me the officer had a few verbatim smart-ass quotes from my buddy's mouth. Not a time to stand out.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #104
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by staymates788 View Post
Correct, you are not required to answer anything and you do have the right to "plead the 5th".

But if someones refuses to answer a question about a simple traffic violation, they just sound like an idiot "street lawyer".... And still end up with a ticket and no compassion from me. In fact, that move might help them end up with an additional citation for something I may have just let go; i.e. expired insurance card, not updating address on license or vehicle registration, etc.

You're better off just playing dumb & ignorant by saying "I don't know" rather than, "It's my right not to answer your question."
This.

Most times when the person owns up to the violation I cut them a break. I usually only write for moving violations not equipment violations- a burnt out bulb shouldn't cost a person $96. I also don't stack tickets. But if they come at me with that street lawyer crap, full boat.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #105
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
I don't like pulling people over for speeding. I feel bad unless they are driving like an ass. If you're driving like an ass you're getting a ticket regardless. If your nice it won't be as bad of a ticket.

I wrote mostly fix it tickets. If I have to pay to register my vehicle you should too. I'm more about finding drugs/guns/stolen stuff during a stop than writing that ticket.
If your car looks like a trash bin ill probably try to search it. It seems we find the most stuff in trashed vehicles here.

Don't get pissed you got pulled over. You did break the law.

But there are many dick head cops just like every other occupation. Good and bad everywhere you go. Just do your best and hope for the best!

Oh and if you get a female cop don't flirt or give her the creeper looking over the female body look. That will get you a ticket from me. People gross me out when they give the "oooo female cop" look. I'm a police officer before I'm a girl

Mmm, so... Any plans for Friday evening?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #106
mercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to behold

Navy: civil service
Name: gary
mercurymullet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
This.

Most times when the person owns up to the violation I cut them a break. I usually only write for moving violations not equipment violations- a burnt out bulb shouldn't cost a person $96. I also don't stack tickets. But if they come at me with that street lawyer crap, full boat.
I was just cruising this thread bc I posted a question for you guys. But I always admit to the obvious. A officer pulled me over for a seat belt and when he asked why I was stopped I said seat belt. But in the long run I couldn't find my registration (had one for my quad, car and quad were hondas) and I still had an out of state liscense but had been out of the military for 6 months. Cop was really nice, wrote me a seat belt ticket, overlooked the rest and gave me directions to where I was going. I'm always nice, most cops I know don't really enjoy traffic stops, so I just try to make it less of a headache.