Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Friend got a DUI last night...

Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #21
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Agreed. He went to a brewery and drank by HIMSELF. He said he only had 5 IPAs. I called horseshit big time. This is just another side of him I never have scene before ( as gay as that might sound). We grew up together and even went to college together for 4 years. Crazy man crazy..
Maybe he was shotgunning them back to back lol. I totally know how your friend feels because I went through a similar experience. I blew a .05 and passed the sobriety test, but the cop was a dick and arrested me anyway. I had to wait the longest two weeks of my life for my court date only to find out that all the charges were dropped and I shouldn't have been arrested. Tell your friend that he will get through this. It's probably the shittiest feeling ever!!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #22
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
Maybe he was shotgunning them back to back lol. I totally know how your friend feels because I went through a similar experience. I blew a .05 and passed the sobriety test, but the cop was a dick and arrested me anyway. I had to wait the longest two weeks of my life for my court date only to find out that all the charges were dropped and I shouldn't have been arrested. Tell your friend that he will get through this. It's probably the shittiest feeling ever!!!!

Who man. That would suck waiting that long. I've only had tHat stressful feeling that bad and it was with a girl. U could guess why... And that will neve happen again either lol anyways, thanks for all the advice
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #23
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
(snip) he might want to pursue a degree in criminal justice or look into joining the military as an MP.
He would likely not be qualified to serve as a military police officer either. Read this and this, paying special attention to criminal offenses mentioned in each.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #24
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
These days a lot of employers deny employment for a low credit score. Having a DUI and trying to be in law enforcement just won't work.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #25
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
The military may be more strict in its entrance requirements than it was in my day. However, I still think that many agencies might take into consideration someone who, even if they couldn't get into an academy class, worked hard to pursue alternative law enforcement training and certification after receiving a DUI, especially if he didn't get another one. There are also other jobs in the legal system other than officer.

This site has some more information on the subject.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #26
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
I have several friends with DUIs on their records and one with a pretty decent felony record. Can't speak for law enforcement jobs, but for regular jobs most states don't require you legally to disclose your background. Meaning it's 100% legal not to disclose it on a job application. BUT if they do a background check and it comes up they are 100% allowed to fire/not offer the job. But as long as you're honest people are remarkably forgiving.

He'll be lucky if his fines are only $3500. Everyone I know with a DUI spent $5000-7000+ easy by the time all was said and done (and that was in an area with a pretty lax attitude about DUIs). Glad he wasn't hurt, and glad no one else was either. One of those friends with a DUI woke in jail and had no recollection of the car accident or cussing out the OnStar advisor- who didn't take kindly to it and called the police- or trying to fight with the police... you get the picture. Things could have been a lot worse.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #27
Banned
Stout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant future

Navy: aviation machinists mate on the Lockheed p-3 orion
Name: Jason
Stout890's Tacoma Gallery
iv had 2 dui's both dropped to reckless driving. tell him to get a lawyer and try and get it either dropped or reduced to reckless. cops fuck up on paperwork and procedures. a lawyer can look over everything and possibly get it dropped. although they are hella expensive. i spent 7k on a lawyer alone and still could only get a wet reckless. he has a good chance of getting the wet if his lawyer is worth his salt. this is by far the shittiest feeling
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #28
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Yes a DUI will keep him from getting a Law Enforcement job. They usually ask the question have you ever been arrested? Not convicted or ex-sponged or charges dropped or anything like that....arrested. there is a huge difference. Now people might say that it's not in the requirements or it may not matter to them but...It does. Your friend will be competing against military vets, and college grads that have never been in trouble before in their whole lives! Not even a ticket such as yourself. I'm sorry to say it but there are dis-qualifiers in the process that are unwritten and unsaid. I'm sorry to say it but it's gonna be really hard for your friend to find a job as a LEO. An agency will spend thousands of dollars training 1 officer. They may not take a risk on a person they don't know who is sending up red flags like...a DUI, that may embarrass the agency down the road.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #29
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
HeY everyone, best friend came home and told me that he got a DUI last night. He blew a .20 at the station and loses his lisense in 30 days for 4 months. How screwed is he for jobs? Him and I are in similar fields and (work for the state of CA) and both pursuing law enforcement jobs. I'm basically already in ( very final stages before acadamy) but he is a bit farther behind. He got a misdemeanor. Is he gonna have to work at auto zone or go to wyotech or something now? Trust me, I do not feel sorry for him at all but am a little worried. He keeps making comments on how he wants to jump off a bridge or shoot himself. Don't really know how to diagnose that as legitimate or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ps sorry if this is in the wrong place and sorry for any mistakes in spelling. Damn iPhone
Wow, Cali. is very slack on DUI's in NC if you blow a .08 your drunk and lose your license for 1 year and do jail time, no questions asked.If you refuse to blow you are willfull admiting your drunk and you lose your license for 1 year and do jail time.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #30
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout890 View Post
iv had 2 dui's both dropped to reckless driving. tell him to get a lawyer and try and get it either dropped or reduced to reckless. cops fuck up on paperwork and procedures. a lawyer can look over everything and possibly get it dropped. although they are hella expensive. i spent 7k on a lawyer alone and still could only get a wet reckless. he has a good chance of getting the wet if his lawyer is worth his salt. this is by far the shittiest feeling
Obviously it's not too bad of a feeling- You've done it TWICE. It makes me so sad to see that people get off because of a paperwork mistake.

It's obvious you were drinking and driving or the wet reckless would not have stuck...so you put others in danger and then get off lightly...What a great lesson to teach.

OP-Good luck to your friend...With less money to go around most places are more selective about who they hire. Police agencies were selective before that...so I think his chances are slim to none.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiedie View Post
Wow, Cali. is very slack on DUI's in NC if you blow a .08 your drunk and lose your license for 1 year and do jail time, no questions asked.If you refuse to blow you are willfull admiting your drunk and you lose your license for 1 year and do jail time.
Same her in AZ. There is no 3 strike BS anymore. 1st time is jail time and you lose your license for 12 months, then a blow-to-go in your car after that for 12 more (?). There is no excuse for drinking and driving. If you drink call a f*cking cab or go to jail
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
Here are the requirements for employment at the Fresno, CA Police Department:
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:

Have no felony convictions. Felony arrest(s) with no conviction(s) may be cause for rejection.

Have no recent or extensive misdemeanor record, including traffic citations.

A misdemeanor record of assaultive behavior, regardless of the time of occurrence may be cause for rejection.
I don't know how long "recent" is but I would guess that they would want to wait a few years to see if the behavior was repeated.

If your friend is serious about a career in law enforcement and doesn't want to just sit around waiting for his record to clear he might want to pursue a degree in criminal justice or look into joining the military as an MP.
The definition of "recent" varies agency by agency.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #33
OffRdn916 is on a distinguished road
OffRdn916's Tacoma Gallery
In backgrounds for LVMPD. Female officer said she had a DUI on record as well and still got picked up. It just all depends.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #34
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Many P/D's do lie detector tests now for employment so you better be telling the truth. If he is convinced he wants a job in law enforcement a talk with the Police Chief maybe in order to see what he thinks his chances might be down the road. Granted that was pretty stupid on his part and I'm sure he is kicking him self but it's all part of the learning process good thing he was stopped before he got into real trouble.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #35
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
A buddy of mine was caught with a DUI out in Dumont two years ago. His license was taken away for good (due to prior DUIs) and he was facing a lot of jail time. He hired a really good (aka expensive) lawyer who was able to take the DUI off his record, get his license back (with restrictions; to and from work only) and was sentence to AA and community service. So basically tell your friend to lawyer up quick, pay the fines , accept all and any AA/community service given as a blessing, and hopefully get the DUI taken off his record. I really hope your friend learns from this experience. My friends and I are still waiting for our DUI expert to realize and learn from his stupidity.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Tell him to read his county's laws on DUI . .20 can be a different ball game even on the first . Nearly 3x the limit .
this in ny anything above .16 is a felony 1st offense

but get a good lawyer and if he wants to spend 20k he can beat it
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #37
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
My dad got busted for a DUI in California and he was under the limit. He spent the night in jail, had to go to MADD and AA meetings, paid the fines but when he went to finalize everything with the DMV and courts, they said his DUI info was nowhere to be found. It never showed on his record and if it did he would have lost his job with th school system. He was below .08. It's not over until the court date. Hopefully your friend has learned his lesson and I personnaly think .20 is worth lots of jail time, but if he gets a laywer he can possibly get it knocked down or dropped depending on how the officer that gave it to him did, as others have said. He should still get punched in the nuts though.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #38
TitansWycheck89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
TitansWycheck89's Tacoma Gallery
Basically screwed your self.

It doesn't matter if your hire a good lawyer. If your dog shits on the carpet and you get a good shovel that doesnt mean your dog didn't shit on the carpet.

It could be a while before a department will hire your friend now. Sorry, plain and simple. I work for a PD and a department won't even touch him. Especially considering if he was in a process. Shows irresponsibility.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but I'm sorry it's the truth.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
Banned
Stout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant futureStout890 has a brilliant future

Navy: aviation machinists mate on the Lockheed p-3 orion
Name: Jason
Stout890's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Obviously it's not too bad of a feeling- You've done it TWICE. It makes me so sad to see that people get off because of a paperwork mistake.

It's obvious you were drinking and driving or the wet reckless would not have stuck...so you put others in danger and then get off lightly...What a great lesson to teach.

OP-Good luck to your friend...With less money to go around most places are more selective about who they hire. Police agencies were selective before that...so I think his chances are slim to none.

Go fuck yourself bro. I know what I did and I deal with it everyday knowing how i screwed my life up for those few years. I don't need some self ritious shit bag to give me his 2 cents. All I'm trying to do is give my story so that it way be of some advice. I'm sorry if you think I'm the scum of the earth but I really don't feel like hearing you talk about me. You don't know my circumstances and your never gonna know because your not worth my time

Anyways sorry OP for this sidetrack we can now keep this back on topic I won't respond this this anymore. And hopefully your buddy's dreams of being a cop are not ruined. Even though I had my run ins of this nature I was still able to get my government job and security clearance so there is still hope tell him all he can do now is to do what he can, What's done is done all that matters is how he picks himself up from this low point and carries on.

Best of luck to your friend like I said this is one of the shittiest feelings a person can have. Mainly due to the fact of how society views a person with a DUI. No matter how good of a person you are or how your not an alcoholic or never usually do that sort of thing. people will view you as a pice of shit drunk, and that is one of the hardest things to deal with. And sadly the people with those opinions most of the time aren't innocent of driving after a few drinks either they just haven't been pulled over while they were.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #40
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
*righteous