Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Fish and Game Wardens

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Fish and Game Wardens

Anyone have any insight into the hiring process? Typical requirements ect....Im looking for a career change and always thought this would be interesting. Just dont know much about it.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Subs because I posted something like this earlier.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...37-sc-dnr.html
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP what kind of education do you have/ previous work exp?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
It varies by state, but most require a BS in Wildlife or closely related degree. Some states will consider other degrees in combination with experience. Obviously prior law enforcement would be a big plus.

In Montana one of the best ways to break-in is through our Trainee program- it's a competitive selection amongst Juniors (in state college) and if your selected you work (w/ pay ) during the summer between your Jr and Sr year and then on weekends and holidays during your Sr year. If you have what it takes, then your usually hired full time right out of college.

BTW we currently are running a general hire as we speak (close 3/30)

https://svc.mt.gov/statejobsearch/li...s.aspx?id=7115
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco View Post
OP what kind of education do you have/ previous work exp?
I'm a poli sci major which isn't really related, but former USAF officer I thought might help. Most recent work exp is project manager for construction. I always thought this would be a cool line of LEO to be involved with. I've heard of guys that can only get PT positions with local forces that have criminal justice backgrounds so I didnt know if this was something even more difficult. At this point I just really want to learn more and what you need to get in.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Always thought this would be bad ass.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
big sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig sky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
big sky's Tacoma Gallery
^ military experience will definitely help, you'd probably have to pursue a different path with your education (at a minimum a minor in something in the biology field)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What I would do is get your associates in Natural Resource conservation. Its tough getting a job as a warden. My dad almost did it several times and he said that the market was always tough. The most bad ass part imo is that you can take more from anyone person then any other law enforcement officer can. Secondly you could always start off working something more basic such as at a fish hatchery for exp too.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
A hatchery job and a Warden's job are hardly related at all. I've worked with and for Fish and Wildlife agencies as a biologist. Many Wardens are friendly and will support your work. Some will even let people know about what you are doing in the area and why, say, you can net fish or bats and they can't. However, they are first and foremost LEOs and a few are rule-fanatics and treat biologists and even the state's F&W personnel no different than the everyday public.

I had a game warden once tell me that he was damned if I was going to do any research in his territory, even though I was working under both state and federal permits with specific permission to be in the area. When I called the state they said that it was the warden's call. Fortunately he was the only "bad" one I ran across, most were great to work with.

Though a Warden enforces game and fish regulations, he is an LEO and not a parks and rec person or a biologist. If you want to be a Warden in some states, experience in another type of fish and game job might not be that relevant. In some states, including one where I worked in a fish hatchery, the game wardens are a division of the State Police and are not under the Department of Fish and Wildlife at all. Sometimes this causes conflict and, IMO, it's better if they are part of the F&W agency itself.

In the state where I now live the Wardens are under F&W but the job is so difficult to get into that the two that we had locally were a father and then his son, who essentially "inherited" the job.

Here is one state's requirements for a warden's job. If you look at most police agencies' requirements they are more-or-less the same. Here you also are required to have a Bachelor's degree too. A double major in Admin of Justice and Wildlife Conservation would be a good if you wanted to get a job as a game warden.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/warden/c...opportunities/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URG-LS5C-Qc

There is also the summer job route. Several of my college cohorts and students got summer jobs as park rangers, firefighters, trail workers etc., which got them on the inside track with an agency. Many schools also will have on-the-job internships as part of their programs, the one I taught at did and all of our Natural Resources program graduates spent at least a quarter working in a field internship prior to graduation.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
PM me

In reality though, in CA you need 60 semester college units with 18units in Bio. Must be 18 years old, have a valid DL, no fellonies etc. Other than that, it's fair game. Ever since Wild Justice has come out, we have seen a huge increase in applicants because they thing it would be a cool job but Most have zero experience or education in the job.

I started out working at a local Fish Hatchery as a seasonal aid. The trick is, get your foot in the door. Just working for the agency has HUGE advantages. Trust me.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm I always get discouraged when I read about how college degrees are required for the jobs I want to apply for. I just sent my app in for FWC yesterday. I have a BAS in business but I do not think it will help me too much in the application process. I really can't justify returning to school either.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
Hmm I always get discouraged when I read about how college degrees are required for the jobs I want to apply for. I just sent my app in for FWC yesterday. I have a BAS in business but I do not think it will help me too much in the application process. I really can't justify returning to school either.
If you are looking for a warden job, take some BIO classes at a community college. You need at least 18 in CA.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Just out of curiosity, what would a new fish and game warden's starting salary be?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would a new fish and game warden's starting salary be?
In CA, Mid-upper $40's usually up to the $60's
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
In CA, Mid-upper $40's usually up to the $60's
Hmm not bad. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Hmm not bad. Thanks for the info.
Yea its not bad but you def. dont pursue this career for the money
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin904 View Post
You would be surprised. I have a BSF(B.S. Forestry). Any degree is helpful.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #20
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
Ironically, after posting that, my dad (who works for the city) met an FWC officer at one of his jobs. Got the guy's number and gave him a call - I'm sure the hiring differs among states and all, but he has a bachelor's in marketing and had no issues getting on with the crew here. Starting pay here is only $32k a year, but I really want the job so I'm willing to take a pay cut and work my ass off for it.