Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Body Armor

Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Body Armor

What kind of armor do ya'll rock?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
ABA..w/ safariland outer carrier or LBV molle vest.
How do you like the ABA/safariland deal?

I just picked up my new vest and i'm not thrilled with it yet

My old Point Blank was super comfy and flexed well with movement etc...and i dunno if it just needs breaking in or what...but the ABA Xtreme is just super stiff compared to the old one
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
American Body Armor Xtreme. Level III. Took forever to break in though.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Just outta curiousity, how much does body armor run? And how much can they withstand?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same point blank vest that I got in 1991 for my entire career. Just as I was leaving they started a replacement program. Boy did that thing stink.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
Had the same point blank vest that I got in 1991 for my entire career. Just as I was leaving they started a replacement program. Boy did that thing stink.
Wow!! My point blank carrier had to be replaced once during its 5 year service life and had kept it longer it would've needed another carrier soon
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
I'm suppose to have a Safari Land but Galls has been screwing up our order BADLY!!! I haven't gotten anything in - the other guys vests didn't fit - they had to try each others on. Now they all have vests but I don't. Not sure when Galls will decide to ship mine. (we drove 2 hours out there to get fitted for everything BTW.. and they promised all of our stuff to us like 2 weeks ago.. haven't gotten much in at all)

Now i'm wearing a guys vest that fits HORRIBLY! But does make me I have a large chest so...

But I'm just a passenger for a while.

The one i'm wearing now is ABA which is light weight and all. Just sucks that it doesn't fit. NO chest plate though..
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
How do you like the ABA/safariland deal?

I just picked up my new vest and i'm not thrilled with it yet

My old Point Blank was super comfy and flexed well with movement etc...and i dunno if it just needs breaking in or what...but the ABA Xtreme is just super stiff compared to the old one
I like it. we replace ours every 5 years. the dept. pays for our with trauma plates and all. We have always had safariland ABA since I have started so I have never worn anything else to be able to compare it too. The LBV vest took some getting used too, but I don't carry much on it. kept most of my stuff on my web gear where I was used to wearing it. galls sucks I never order from them. depending what i need I usually go to cheaper than dirt or better yet I get it from supply w/ a requisition.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Point Blank w/ front trauma plate.

Mods: cut off all the extra loose fabric off the bottom, Fabreeze.

Good for 5 years.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I use birthday suit armour
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
kroving has a spectacular aura aboutkroving has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ken
kroving's Tacoma Gallery
Point Blank GAII, Threat Level II with a Soft Trauma Insert with a Vision carrier. Had it about a month now, still needs to be broken in more. The old Point Blank I had fit nicely and moved with my body but didn't have a trauma plate.

We get ours replaced every 5 years. From being measured to getting them it took about 2 1/2 months.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
I just strap a phone book on my chest and back.

When that fails, I wear a point blank
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEDEER View Post
Just outta curiousity, how much does body armor run? And how much can they withstand?
$200-1500 and enough that millions of LEO's, military personal, private military contractors, etc trust their lives to it everyday. Do a quick youtube search and you'll find plenty here's a vid of a .40 Short and Weak point blank. My uncle still has his vest from where he got hit in the middle of center mass with a .38 special point blank, driver shot him through the window while he was conducting the stop. Driver was a felon that had drugs, warrants, and on probation for drugs. He's still in jail and will remain there for at least another 30 years before having a chance at probation I'll be there to make sure he doesn't get out.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #15
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
Point Blank w/ front trauma plate.

Mods: cut off all the extra loose fabric off the bottom, Fabreeze.

Good for 5 years.
Get you a couple of bottles of Vest Guard. I haven't washed a vest carrier in forever. It works wonders.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1980 View Post
Get you a couple of bottles of Vest Guard. I haven't washed a vest carrier in forever. It works wonders.
+1 on the Vest Guard, it works great! I wear ABA Level IIIA model XHP-IIIA.0 with front soft trauma plate. It was a little stiff for the first 1-2 months, but feels great now. Took about 2 month to get through Galls from fitment to pick-up. They take forever but I think its Safariland's fault for their lag in production time, not Galls. Overall Pretty happy with it. It very light compared to older vests I've seen. Mine was manufactured 10/2011 just before the new NIJ standards came out, but oh well. Another month or 2 and I could have had the newer one, but Im still happy with my vest. Retailed for about $900 but thats without dept. discounts.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Glocking Tall

TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Our dept issues the level II but will get us the III if we want to pay the difference in cost. I have learned to go easy on the Vest Guard though, too much and it itches like crazy. Overall I'm happy with the ABA Xtreme. Now I have to keep pushing for the exterior carrier, then I'll be happy.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
isurf is on a distinguished road
isurf's Tacoma Gallery
last one was point blank, fit good. Now we use vision w/trauma plate, fits good but is a pita when changing carriers it's velcro hell.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
ftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Name: K
ftttu's Tacoma Gallery
U.S. Armor. Just looking at it, I need to get another one soon. Manufactured October 2005.