Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Paranoid?

Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Paranoid?

So I've been working as a police officer (well a glorified ride along..)for about 2 months... and today I got my first feeling like someone was trying to get me lol I half way feel paranoid.

My "partner" wanted to look for a new case for his phone so we went to the Sprint store. We were in there a while when this typical looking dirt bag (yes profiling.. bite me) walks up close to me - on my gun side. I only have a .. well maybe stage 2 holster. Little finger button and then the "retention" holding my gun in.. so I always have it covered with my arm.
So I move away from dude.. it didn't work he comes again. I turn around so at least he's not on my gun side - he then walks around the display so he's on my gun side again. It was like I couldn't get him away from me or my gun side!!
Thankfully we left before he could get any closer. He went back to the front of the store when we did so.

Do I really think dude was trying to get to my gun? Not really... but it was still a thought in my head that I just didn't like. The guy i'm riding with just shot and killed a guy a few months ago so I felt like I had good backup! hah BUT i'd be highly.. highly pissed if someone attempted to touch my weapon!

Should I get use to that little voice inside my head that feels uneasy about these things? Maybe I would have felt better if I had my gun belt on with the very cool puzzle like holster on lol
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
maybe he just likes a gal in uniform.....
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
4Runner guy
Ripcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shedRipcord is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Ripcord's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing wrong with being aware of any and all possible threats. Something could happen when you least expect it, so always be expecting it like you were. Would you rather be paranoid or caught off guard?

I say good for you for being alert!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
The question is not whether or not you are being paranoid. The question is whether or not you are being paranoid enough.

Women tend to have a sense of intuition about people around them that I have learned to trust in my wife. Trust your instincts.

You might also consider being proactive. "Sir. Your continued movement to place yourself on my gun side is making me very nervous. Would you like to give me some space or should I just shoot you now and get it over with?"
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
better paranoid than dead...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
So I've been working as a police officer (well a glorified ride along..)for about 2 months... and today I got my first feeling like someone was trying to get me lol I half way feel paranoid.

My "partner" wanted to look for a new case for his phone so we went to the Sprint store. We were in there a while when this typical looking dirt bag (yes profiling.. bite me) walks up close to me - on my gun side. I only have a .. well maybe stage 2 holster. Little finger button and then the "retention" holding my gun in.. so I always have it covered with my arm.
So I move away from dude.. it didn't work he comes again. I turn around so at least he's not on my gun side - he then walks around the display so he's on my gun side again. It was like I couldn't get him away from me or my gun side!!
Thankfully we left before he could get any closer. He went back to the front of the store when we did so.

Do I really think dude was trying to get to my gun? Not really... but it was still a thought in my head that I just didn't like. The guy i'm riding with just shot and killed a guy a few months ago so I felt like I had good backup! hah BUT i'd be highly.. highly pissed if someone attempted to touch my weapon!

Should I get use to that little voice inside my head that feels uneasy about these things? Maybe I would have felt better if I had my gun belt on with the very cool puzzle like holster on lol

I probably would have confronted him after your second avoidance. Some small talk with him or just the "Can I help you?" will usually deter them or at least throw em off their game.

Youre not paranoid, it is just instinct. I cant even have people walk in my "blind spots" or tap me on the shoulder. Rather be safe than sorry. At the end of the day, I know I am going home.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Glad Im not crazy then

I've held off on talking much since I've been told a few times my role is to listen and learn. The other guy I'm going to the academy with talks a lot... They all say he's going to get in trouble a lot at the academy and possibly on the road (he use to work at the jail so he already knows a good amount of these people).
I rather not be talked about and just stay quiet.

Although if we were in there much longer I would have let him know I was aware of him being there and focus my attention on him while giving him the look of a pissed off woman

Also I know the "wow it's a woman cop" and this wasn't it. I get that look A LOT! I'm starting to get better at ignoring it. Oddly it's the women who actually stair and make me feel a tad odd lol
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible you were being "tested"?

I've done stuff like that with my step-daughter when she showed an interest in shooting. I used to walk all around her with her Daisy Red Ryder to make sure she stayed aware of where her gun was pointed.

Anyhow, I believe in trusting your instincts! Stay safe!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
I am not a LEO, but that type of awareness is a necessity if you are carrying. Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
I have been on the road for five years now and this is something that happens to us all. Like stated earlier I would not clasify it as paranoid but instinct. Even when I am off duty I am constantly watching people and everything going on. It is just something that comes with the job. Its what we are trained to do.

Took a little for my wife to get use to me watching everything but she understands.

Good luck on your training and be safe out there.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
those little imaginary antennas that picked him up in your head...thats what's going to keep you alive
Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
alot of gun enthusiasts will wonder what kind of gun you carry and stare at it in attempt to see. however, good to be aware of your gun side. even when i'm not at work I constantly move away from people to create distance and always stand with my gun side away from people. just habit. good job. Always size people up cause they are sizing you up.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
alot of gun enthusiasts will wonder what kind of gun you carry and stare at it in attempt to see. however, good to be aware of your gun side. even when i'm not at work I constantly move away from people to create distance and always stand with my gun side away from people. just habit. good job. Always size people up cause they are sizing you up.
This is what I was thinking, he was looking at your gun. You have been trained to always be mindful of your gun side, I never even carry anything in my gun hand. It's just habit. BUT you are a law officer, in uniform, ask the guy what he's gawking at or tell him to back off. If it made you uncomfortable or put an antenna up, something isn't right. Let him complain that you were rude to him, you can explain why. BTW do they give you the option to use whatever holster you want? If so spring for a level III.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
ftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the roughftttu is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Name: K
ftttu's Tacoma Gallery
Not saying that this was happening but as you may know, convicts regularly practice disarming techniques in prison. I was at the range yesterday for night qualification and the range officer, a former Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy-full of war stories told me that there was a case where this bad guy walked up to one of two officers with the intent of shooting them both with one of the officer's weapons. He trained to karate chop at the weapon and then quickly remove it from the holster before the officer reacts. This genius karate chopped at one of the officer's right side as his training called for with his right hand but.....the officer just happened to be left handed.
As you have been told, every call you will go to is a "man with a gun call" because you carry a gun so always know that guns are game-changers.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
Never ever ignore that little voice or whatever your gut tells you... I will take paranoid and over protective instincts over death any day. Good job on staying alert, too many of us are caught off guard and end up paying the ultimate price. FYI I will not go out in uniform without my level III holster and my noisy cricket on my leg.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaoccifer View Post
Never ever ignore that little voice or whatever your gut tells you... I will take paranoid and over protective instincts over death any day. Good job on staying alert, too many of us are caught off guard and end up paying the ultimate price. FYI I will not go out in uniform without my level III holster and my noisy cricket on my leg.

I LOVE the Noisy Cricket!!!