Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

LEO BS Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #2221
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Never write tickets because the driver is an ass.
I write tickets because they break the law.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #2222
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Lol! You just said that you write if they were an ass!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #2223
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol! You just said that you write if they were an ass!

Pretty sure she meant , if your rude I'll probably give you a ticket instead of a warning.

P.s. Matt, I'll reply when I'm not on my phone.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #2224
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
She may or may not have...still, being an ass has no bearing on whether I write you a ticket or a warning, decide that before you go up to the car, because on the stand if it goes to court, some of the first questioning is going to go:

Officer, do you always write tickets to people who do such and such?

You: No...

Officer, why did you write my client a ticket?

You: Because he broke the law.

Officer, do you always write tickets to people who break the law?

You: No.

So again Officer, why did you write my client a ticket?

What's your answer? I'd rather not my answer be "He was an ass."
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #2225
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
She may or may not have...still, being an ass has no bearing on whether I write you a ticket or a warning, decide that before you go up to the car, because on the stand if it goes to court, some of the first questioning is going to go:

Quit being an ass

Just foolin. I have the same POV as you on this tho...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #2226
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Thats not exactly the point he was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Pretty sure she meant , if your rude I'll probably give you a ticket instead of a warning.

P.s. Matt, I'll reply when I'm not on my phone.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #2227
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
I'm in WV.. And we do city citations. Our city court consists of us showing up in jeans and a nice shirt and we wait in the hall and BS until someone comes to find us. We walk in to the judges office who says "traffic school? 6 month open docket? What do you recommend?" But most people just pay it.

When it comes to speeding if I can tell it was an honest mistake I don't write. If they just act like I'm annoying them and they do it all the time I write. They are more likely to be afraid to do it again after a hard back. BUT I have yet to write a speeding ticket for anything over 4mph over the limit so that they get points on their record.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #2228

Law Enforcement:
Must be nice, jeans and a shirt in the courtroom huh?

My point is, don't write contempt of cop tickets.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #2229
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTuffGirl View Post
They are more likely to be afraid to do it again after a hard back.
Not likely. Speeders are going to speed, especially if they have an attitude. I wrote someone for speeding, cleared the contact and wrote some notes, then started patrolling again and 5 miles down the road the same person was being written for speeding by another agency.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #2230
Quote:
I'm in WV.. And we do city citations. Our city court consists of us showing up in jeans and a nice shirt and we wait in the hall and BS until someone comes to find us. We walk in to the judges office who says "traffic school? 6 month open docket? What do you recommend?" But most people just pay it.

When it comes to speeding if I can tell it was an honest mistake I don't write. If they just act like I'm annoying them and they do it all the time I write. They are more likely to be afraid to do it again after a hard back. BUT I have yet to write a speeding ticket for anything over 4mph over the limit so that they get points on their record.
Well when I was younger if I got a ticket on one part of the road I'd always slow way down in that area afraid the officer would be there again.
So it worked for me :shrug:

Everyone has their own way. I don't tell you how to decide. I've done the decide before walking up to the car but have been talked out of writing before.

You're saying you walk up to a car thinking you aren't going to write and you've never changed your mind?the arguing about how they weren't speeding and you're wrong..
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #2231

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Well when I was younger if I got a ticket on one part of the road I'd always slow way down in that area afraid the officer would be there again.
So it worked for me :shrug:

Everyone has their own way. I don't tell you how to decide. I've done the decide before walking up to the car but have been talked out of writing before.

You're saying you walk up to a car thinking you aren't going to write and you've never changed your mind?the arguing about how they weren't speeding and you're wrong..
They have their day in court. Why would you let your suspect win an argument with you when you KNOW that you clocked that person at 10 over, 20 over, 30 over, running a stop sign, etc.

If I decide to write, I will write. If I decide I won't write, I won't...and I tell them that. "I'm not going to be issuing you a citation today unless there is an issue with your driver's license."

Contempt of cop tickets will be your downfall in court, its a known fact.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #2232

Law Enforcement:
I will clarify that there are times when I have started to write a ticket and another call comes out that I have to go to or one time I ran out of contract town tickets and I was gonna cite both people for throwing flaming material on the roadway, I only had one ticket...so neither of them got a ticket.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #2233
Enders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Ben
Enders Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I've never ever been asked that. In our courts we testify to the violation and we typically end with a statement on how co-operative they were.

Judges here offer traffic school if its their first citation in 7 years or more, minimum fine for co-operative, slightly enhanced for argumentative but compliant and they max it out for uncooperative.... Unless the officer already cited for every violation observed.

I love my tire depth gauge

The closest I've had to her scenario was a lawyer once said during cross examination if I charged his client with assault on LEO and resisting arrest after his client threatened to complain to IA. I could only answer yes. She made the statement on the way to booking. Hadn't had a chance to swear out the warrants yet.... I secured convictions
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #2234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninernation View Post
The players never change in dope, that's the deal with addiction. Does your department release Intel bulletins? Are cases written in officer accessible databases so you can research hot houses and cars? Can you check the jail booking databases and mug shots?

Learn the current hot players and hang where they hang. Catch a small fish and follow the breadcrumbs to the big ones. Addicts will snitch on anyone to stay out of jail so they can get their fix.

Our new guys don't necessarily have a hard time finding people involved in dope, it's what they do with them. New officers generally don't dig in their interviews with dopers. An extreme example might be asking where doper is going at 3am and accepting the answer that they are going to visit their mom. If something doesn't make sense or seem logical call them on it. Listen to the hairs on the back of your neck when they stand up. Another problem new officers have on traffic stops is taking the entire stop in, they miss the needle cap or baggy sticking out from underneath the back seat because they're focused on trying to out wit bad guy in conversation and that doesnt come fluently yet so they can't talk and scan the vehicle for oddities at the same time.

It will come with experience if you put yourself in these positions. If you expect it to come on its own it won't.

You know how you go to a party and everyone has a cop sorry when they find out that's what you do. Woman once told be that she went on a ride a long. She said the officer pointed out a car and told her that he bet there was dope in it. She told me she thought he was profiling based on the drivers skin color but he did find crack after stopping it. She couldn't grasp an experienced cops intuition...it will come.

One doesn't simply purchase fishing pole and become a star on deadliest catch.
Yea I always look everywhere inside of the car and on the person. I'm DUI patrol tonight so ill practice the questioning since I won't have any calls to worry about. I normally forget the questioning and you're right that's what gets them hemmed up.
Plus allows me time to smell that "alcoholic beverage".
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #2235
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Must be different where you guys are. I've never heard anything about anyone's demeanor or why you wrote them a ticket brought up in court. You explain what you saw, the driver/lawyer asks you a few questions about that violation and/or your method of observing it, they can make a final statement, and the judge makes a ruling. Personal or race-baiting questions get shut down.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #2236
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
ok guys i got a question for you officers.

Why would the county sheriffs be knocking on the door looking for the guy that use to live here? we bout the house from they guy 5 years ago end of feb i think and moved in like 1st week of march.

Warrant maybe? taxes? Also this is not the first time they have come by looking for him, They have come by like 2 or 3 other times. All they do is have papers in hand and ask if he is here or how the can contact him.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #2237
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Not a Leo, but I'd say its an arrest warrant, and that's the last known address most likely.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #2239
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Not a Leo, but I'd say its an arrest warrant, and that's the last known address most likely.
yeah. dad is retied wildlife officer, and said this is probably last know address for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Some locales use LEOs to serve legal papers...So could be any number of things.
this. Thats kinda what i’m thinking. We told the officer where we think the guy moved to.

edit: another reason i think it’s just some kinda legal paper, is this is not the first time they have come by looking for him. I think they came by some time last year and i think the year before. i know they have come by a good 3 times maybe more. almost like once a year.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #2240

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Some locales use LEOs to serve legal papers...So could be any number of things.
I serve civil papers at my agency, and we get things like the issue in question all the time. Same thing with warrants, especially ones that are issues years in the past.