Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

LEO BS Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
LEO BS Thread

Let's BS about LEO shit. Open forum to ask any question, of any officer, as long as its kept civil, polite, non political and non judgmental.

Ask away
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Just want to say thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
PVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedPVT Pablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Aww man I need a petty officer to enforce law Lemme go grab a BO and I'll be right back!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT Pablo View Post
Aww man I need a petty officer to enforce law Lemme go grab a BO and I'll be right back!
LOL! BTM's can enforce some laws too.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, why do most LEO's go into that field?

Most seem to enjoy the power trip, but some seem to go into the field to genuinely help people.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #6

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post

Most seem to enjoy the power trip, but some seem to go into the field to genuinely help people.
Its not really a power trip for me. I can only answer for myself on this but for me, yes there is a side of me that is an adrenaline junky. Always waiting for that big call to come over the radio.

But the most prevalent reason for me getting in to LE is, I wanna get bad guys off the streets. I see things, injustices that are happening to people, people getting away with shit they shouldn't and it drives me to be someone where I can be in that place at that time to take care of business.

I do enjoy helping people, but enjoy the helping aspect in regards to arrest the perp of a crime committed against someone. The justice system (courts/corrections) can do what they want, how they want, but I know when I go to bed that I put criminals in jail.

EDIT: Another thing that drives me up the wall is the habitual DUI offenders. That's a big reason I got into LE as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well I did nine years in the Navy as a Seabee doing construction. I enjoyed the structure and the comradery. I had a family and didn't want to move around anymore. I started out working in a jail. I learned A LOT about what goes on in my community. I then got bored of the jail and wanted a challenge so I went into patrol. Now I know who the players are and I know what they are about. In Florida we have a HUGE problem with pills. I enjoy putting the people away who push the stuff on our kids. I also enjoy catching burglars- I hate thieves.
All the while without a power trip. Most people who meet me out of uniform say they would have never guest I was a cop other then my short hair and build.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Its not really a power trip for me. I can only answer for myself on this but for me, yes there is a side of me that is an adrenaline junky. Always waiting for that big call to come over the radio.

But the most prevalent reason for me getting in to LE is, I wanna get bad guys off the streets. I see things, injustices that are happening to people, people getting away with shit they shouldn't and it drives me to be someone where I can be in that place at that time to take care of business.

I do enjoy helping people, but enjoy the helping aspect in regards to arrest the perp of a crime committed against someone. The justice system (courts/corrections) can do what they want, how they want, but I know when I go to bed that I put criminals in jail.

EDIT: Another thing that drives me up the wall is the habitual DUI offenders. That's a big reason I got into LE as well.
this pretty much nails my reasoning on the head
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rocky
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Btw, just spent a couple of days in Arizona. Probably the coolest state ever. Serious props to y'all out there cause man it's very desolate out there. At least in a good size city where I'm at I know my back is usually around the corner. Be safe out there. Oh yeah the grand canyon was freakin awesome. I'm in San Diego now. California is cool. Almost got pulled by a border patrol yesterday but the officer drove up next to us, checked me out and turned around. It was pretty cool. He had a sick brand new charger. Going back to Florida Tuesday check in later. Like the bs thread good idea.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I was a few months from graduating college and I applied to two police departments and I applied to the fire academy. One of the police departments hired me right away. I started the academy 3 weeks after finishing school. I knew I wanted to do something in public service and I wanted something with job security. That was very important to me. The power trip stereotype fits maybe 1 out of 5. Most of what you see as a cop being unfriendly or on a power trip is really him (or her) just being reserved. They are busy trying to observe 100 other things going on at the same time: surroundings, other people in the area, where your hands are, traffic, his fellow officer's location, etc. Cops are trained to eye f**k everything, so to speak.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #12

Law Enforcement:
Just a little BS here, my full application packet is under internal review for employment recommendation for a sheriff's office here in CO...haven't heard anything since Tuesday, tempted to call but I know that's a bad idea...

The anticipation is so....
Old 06-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just a little BS here, my full application packet is under internal review for employment recommendation for a sheriff's office here in CO...haven't heard anything since Tuesday, tempted to call but I know that's a bad idea...

The anticipation is so....
Did you go into the Reserve?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #14

Law Enforcement:
No, I haven't done that yet. I might depending on the circumstances though. I'm just inactive right now.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most seem to enjoy the power trip

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr0SLtFzNaE

Pretty much sums it up
Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1980 View Post
The power trip stereotype fits maybe 1 out of 5. Most of what you see as a cop being unfriendly or on a power trip is really him (or her) just being reserved. They are busy trying to observe 100 other things going on at the same time: surroundings, other people in the area, where your hands are, traffic, his fellow officer's location, etc. Cops are trained to eye f**k everything, so to speak.
Yea, I do realize they have to pretty much be worried about everything, constantly...

Plus, seeing the worst of society, day in, day out has to wear on you...

I'll stop there. I respect what you folks do, and probably could never do it myself. I don't have much self-control, and having people mouth off at me constantly would not work out too well...
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL! BTM's can enforce some laws too.
Haha I see I have a fellow BTM
Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #18

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sje1124 View Post
Haha I see I have a fellow BTM
Was once upon a time...
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My situation was a little different.. I was stuck in a dead end job and didn't know what to do.. I sat around and thought to myself what can I do that will allow me to raise a family on a modest income?? I then stumbled upon the idea of being a cop, and looking back now, I can't see myself doing anything else.. except maybe the military..

It's kinda funny, I grew up having a negative connotation of cops, then I thought of it as a job opportunity, and now I wouldn't have it any other way, It's absolutely a lifestyle. I know I never would have ever owned a gun had I not become a cop, and now that I am, I have so many! and they continue to grow...

I love my job. I wouldn't want to do anything else (except maybe military) but it isn't an easy job. People join for various reasons, and when they do, they're still people like you and me and that asshole you hate next door.. like any job there's all kinds of people. In my department, there's assholes, hard core Christians, and your average joe. They're gonna have different ways to solve the same problem. I hate asshole cops just as much as the next guy does. But bottom line is, we're all human, to expect anything else is unrealistic. Sorry, most departments don't require personality checks before hiring.

Going a different direction, I'm gonna jump on my soapbox for a minute...

My definition of cops has changed now that I am one also... We're all human, we feel, we bleed, and we fuck up just like normal humans. and no one likes their mistakes aired out on live TV. When normal people screw up on the job, you get a reprimand of some sort, when LEO fuck up on the job, its the crime of the century and the jury is ALWAYS out before trial.. "They're all dirty cops!!" And it truly feels like everyone is out to make sure they catch a cop doing something they shouldn't be doing... Can you imagine any other job where the public is constantly watching you and waiting (camera in hand) for you to fuck up so they can go viral with it?

The more I think about it, the more I truly feel like this job is not normal for human beings.. to ask someone to always be aware but not paranoid, to know every aspect of the law instantly, the physical demands (30 lbs of gear on a hot day), the psychological demands (going from chill at starbucks to instant adrenaline when your partner asks for a follow), the fact that your decision you make in a millisecond is going to be dissected by the judge, attorneys, jury, and public (who have no idea how it truly went down) in a few months/years time. It's just not realistic in today's environment! I feel like LEO are put in a position of failure.

Then to top it all off, the public hates us.. I work in Orange County, CA and for the last few years 2 of our patrol cities have been the "Safest city in America" for the most part people don't feel the same way about us as our counterparts in LA.. but things like this still happen: wildfires in OC and the Deputies are out patrolling the evacuated area, suffering the smoke, winds, all that crap without special suits.. a lady pulls up to the command center in a minivan and starts pulling out pizzas and sodas.. the deputies are like.. oh, my god!! you are a life saver!! then as the deputies are about to dig in, they hear a screeching halt.. and her backing up.. she then says "Hey! give me those pizzas back!" (Sgt. orders the deputies to place it all back in the minivan) the lady then says "Those are for the firemen! you guys should know better!" and all we can do is be professional and say "We're sorry ma'am" and get back to the fires and protecting their homes..

Sorry for that side rant.. It bugs me sometimes when people judge cops based on ignorant "facts." Anyways, I'm done! and I assure you I'm not a crazed sociopath or angry cop.. in fact I usually get the "why can't most cops be like you?"

Anyway, thanks for your service guys/gals!! be safe.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #20

Law Enforcement:
So many good true points LT1. Thank you for posting!!