Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Trying to find the right path to become a LEO

Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to find the right path to become a LEO

So currently I am in the Army, with about a year an a half left in my contract. I'm trying to decide if I want to get out and become a LEO or stay in... I love the Army don't get me wrong, just some recent events have started to sway my mind...
I have a completely clean record, not even a parking ticket.

I want to get out and become some time of federal LEO, ie. FBI, CIA, Secret Service, Marshal, that kinda thing.. Looking into those a little deeper and I discovered that I need a Bachelors degree for most of them, and well I only have my Associates.
So what I've been thinking about is getting out and joining the sheriff's dept. back home, but I'm more leaning towards OSP (Oregon State Police.) From what I've read, OSP is really military friendly and allows you to go to college for the first year or so on the force to do some college. Which that would help me complete my bachelors.
What I am thinking is that I will join OSP, and then after a few years under my belt, drop an application for one of the fed jobs.
That's what I have in mind right now, just wondering if any of you have any advice to put in on it. If its the right path to take for what I wanna do, or just anything you have to say would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks for your time.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
M202Flash is on a distinguished road

M202Flash's Tacoma Gallery
California Highway Patrol requires no degrees and you can probably start your application process when you have a year left prior to ETS. They are military friendly and assignment locations range from desert to ocean to mountains, etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Most local, State L.E. agencies are military friendly. Already trained...Feds pay well but, it comes with a cost IMO. We had a couple of guys go secret service in our agency. Both of them came back in 2 years. We have had people go in the FBI and never come back (They were nerdy anyway)..lol. All depends on what kinda cop you want to be. You want to get into stuff and have fun, stay on the local,S/O side. You want to stay in your office and keep your gun in a desk, Make a crap ton money and great benefits, go fed...It's a toss up..
Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Most local, State L.E. agencies are military friendly. Already trained...Feds pay well but, it comes with a cost IMO. We had a couple of guys go secret service in our agency. Both of them came back in 2 years. We have had people go in the FBI and never come back (They were nerdy anyway)..lol. All depends on what kinda cop you want to be. You want to get into stuff and have fun, stay on the local,S/O side. You want to stay in your office and keep your gun in a desk, Make a crap ton money and great benefits, go fed...It's a toss up..
That actually helps a lot, believe it or not. I don't wanna get stuck behind a desk, I'm the kinda guy to go out and get my hands dirty so local sounds like the way to go for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure of their hiring requirements, but look into the Bureau of Land Management LE ranger program. They make considerably more money than we do, get amazing assignments, and go through FLETC (we are a state, POST certified agency). Once you get your FLETC certificate, you could lateral into other federal agencies.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
I'm not sure of their hiring requirements, but look into the Bureau of Land Management LE ranger program. They make considerably more money than we do, get amazing assignments, and go through FLETC (we are a state, POST certified agency). Once you get your FLETC certificate, you could lateral into other federal agencies.
That actually sounds cool. dunno bout the boredom factor though. But I know guys that started with the feds as air marshals and have gone on to ATF and stuff. So moving around w/ the feds is a reality. However, stick with local or SO. much more fun. IMO. But then again I have only worked with feds and never for them..
Old 06-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Redeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedeemed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jeff
Redeemed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
That actually helps a lot, believe it or not. I don't wanna get stuck behind a desk, I'm the kinda guy to go out and get my hands dirty so local sounds like the way to go for me.
It all depends on what you want to do. Marshals, DEA, etc. they're out there getting their hands dirty. FBI, I understand, is focusing on white collar with a more collegiate atmosphere. They are, however, investigating bank robberies, kidnappings, etc.

You've got time, make the most of it do decide what you want to do. Do some research. See if you have any connections to anyone inside the agencies you might be interested.

I would also take advantage of the military education incentive. If you can get a 4-year degree, do it. Some agencies don't require it, but many will at least pay you better for having it. Having more education will never hurt you. Having too little, well...

Finally, a freebie: if you enjoy the military, don't be in a hurry to leave.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
dunno bout the boredom factor though.
What boredom? One of the guys I know is assigned out here to the desert. Once the busy season is over (mid summer) he gets a special assignment to hike around in the back country of Alaska and count caribou for weeks on end, nothing but him and his dog and mother nature.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #9

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
What boredom? One of the guys I know is assigned out here to the desert. Once the busy season is over (mid summer) he gets a special assignment to hike around in the back country of Alaska and count caribou for weeks on end, nothing but him and his dog and mother nature.
cool
Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
I also know a few guys that left local PD's to go to ICE, Air Marshals, ect. then quit and came back to uniformed patrol. I'd join a local PD or Sheriffs Dept. and do a few years, get your feet wet, learn as much as you can. I believe you can be as old as 37 and still go federal if that's what you want. Get your foot it the door somewhere. And as stated, most if not all PD's are military friendly.