Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

37 year old wants to change careers.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
n00b
TacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud of

Navy: Damage controlman 2nd class and builder 2nd class. FFG 46 and CBMU303 Det A
Name: Rich
TacoRich's Tacoma Gallery
37 year old wants to change careers.

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am seriously considering changing my career from an electrician to a police officer. I wanted to be CHP, but I'm too old. I have a few questions. Have any of you heard of a forty year old rookie cop? And how does one become a police officer. I would prefer san diego, temecula, southern California area. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
We had a 50 year old electrician that just went through the academy last summer. He was a reserve for a long time, and had to go full time because his other work wasn't going well. I had 3 guys over 40 in my academy class. People on my department usually let them bid to evening shift even though they don't have any seniority so they aren't stuck on mids at that age.

As long as you're in good physical shape, I say go for it!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
im in the same boat dude. been thinking of a career change. a guy i used to work with became a cop at 40.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Public safety is about as "recession proof" as it can get.
If I could pass POST I'd consider making the move.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Go for it! Im about 10 years younger and i went for a new career..i went from fixing cars to doing building maintainence..lol
Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 55 year old guy in my community college class, it's never too late
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Public safety is about as "recession proof" as it can get.
If I could pass POST I'd consider making the move.
To a degree. Cash strapped cities/states are known to cut staffing hours if not jobs during leaner times.

Now health care, on the other hand...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
M202Flash is on a distinguished road

M202Flash's Tacoma Gallery
Older Rookies may not necessarily be a problem as most people (and officers) will not treat you like a rookie. Just keep in mind the clientele you'll be going up against and their fitness/stamina level compared to yours. We're not young forever and the bad guys can be very perceptive to that.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by M202Flash View Post
Older Rookies may not necessarily be a problem as most people (and officers) will not treat you like a rookie. Just keep in mind the clientele you'll be going up against and their fitness/stamina level compared to yours. We're not young forever and the bad guys can be very perceptive to that.
Yup.

Buddy of mine spent his last 15 years driving a desk, and ultimately moved into narc about 5 years before he retired.

Perp loaded on PCP picked him up and threw him through the windshield of his B&W. Fucked his knees up permanently.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Bodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud ofBodz has much to be proud of

Bodz's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoRich View Post
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am seriously considering changing my career from an electrician to a police officer. I wanted to be CHP, but I'm too old. I have a few questions. Have any of you heard of a forty year old rookie cop? And how does one become a police officer. I would prefer san diego, temecula, southern California area. Any help would be appreciated.
Yep, I have heard of a 40 year old rookie........me! Always wanted to do something service-oriented, had been working in construction for 14 years and became full time single father literally overnight so needed something steady with benefits for the kids. Thought i would give it a try, 18 years later I have worked with some of the best people on earth, have had a million laughs, some craaaaazy experiences and was able to raise my sons to become my contribution to the world.... 2 good men. No regrets here.

Statistically, less cops get hurt less than in many other fields, like construction and logging. I had a friend crushed to death, another crippled and have been nearly killed myself a number of times. Law enforcement ain't for dummies or daydreamers but common sense goes a long way.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rocky
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it. However, Keep in mind it is a very dangerous job. Yeah it's a stable profession but it takes it's toll on the human body. I work from 8 at night till 6 am. It is exhausting physically and mentally. Cop crap looks cool on TV but there are a lot of intangibles that are not shown. Firefighting is where it's at!! Plus everyone loves firefighters!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
tango59 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
tango59's Tacoma Gallery
We had a guy that went thru our academy at 62 (retired MHP). He worked the street for a few years before retiring again.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
thats odd... im currently in law enforcement, and im thinking about becoming an electrician. j/k... there is definately job security in law enforcement. it will change the way you see the world. what i hate the most is being stuck on nights for 6+ years and dealing with drunks every night. 14 more years to go till retirement!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it if your in shape and get an appointment , Some of the fed positions you can go to also but it won't be straight LE you can work for immigration and a few others in a non LE slot.

Cypher
Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodz View Post
Yep, I have heard of a 40 year old rookie........me! Always wanted to do something service-oriented, had been working in construction for 14 years and became full time single father literally overnight so needed something steady with benefits for the kids. Thought i would give it a try, 18 years later I have worked with some of the best people on earth, have had a million laughs, some craaaaazy experiences and was able to raise my sons to become my contribution to the world.... 2 good men. No regrets here.

Statistically, less cops get hurt than in many other fields, like construction and logging. I had a friend crushed to death, another crippled and have been nearly killed myself a number of times. Law enforcement ain't for dummies or daydreamers but common sense goes a long way.
True but it's definitely more of a mental strain also for an LEO over say a construction worker IMO. Every day is a different day and some may be more demanding the others. On a physical and mental level. Just my two cents for the OP
Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Just go for it and live your dream. Don't keep yourself cooped up as an electrician; do what makes you happy! After all...it is YOUR life.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #17
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
2 of the people in my in house academy are between 35 and 38, one of my instructors is at 3 years in and is 42. You can do it man, piece of cake.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
n00b
TacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud ofTacoRich has much to be proud of

Navy: Damage controlman 2nd class and builder 2nd class. FFG 46 and CBMU303 Det A
TacoRich's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence. I'm not in perfect shape so my work out regime starts now. Hopefully by next year I will be ready. Ill keep the board posted when I get in. I'm doing this for my kids. I want security and the community to be a little safer. I know, its cheesy but true. Thanks again everyone. I'm doing it.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
yup, thats my biggest complaint about my job. i work from 5p to 5a. i get to see my wife and son for @ an hour on the days i work (provided i dont get a late call and have to stay over.) the only plus side is that i get three days off one week and four days off the next, so its like a mini vacation.