Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Tac holster vs. Hip holster

Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Tac holster vs. Hip holster

So I am looking for opinions of thigh rigs vs regular hip holsters. I currently use a Serpa level 3 on my duty belt with the lower drop adapter:

I also have a safariland tactical thigh holster that I don't use simply because I like the hood release better on the Blackhawk, and also I have heard negative things about using tac holsters for duty use. I love how it takes some of the weight off your belt and its also easier to draw since it's closer to my hands natural resting position.

My question is can anyone give me some pros/cons of each type (hip v thigh) and tell me what you choose to use and why? A lot of guys I work with are all switching to tac holsters and say they love em... suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
Tac holsters are just that... For Tac operators. They are designed to be able to wear a heavy vest and not have it interfere with your draw. That's really the only plus for a Tac holster. They are not comfortable to run in and move all over while running, make it harder to draw from a seated position, the constant rubbing and moving destroys uniform pants and without getting into too much detail... Retention. Lots of k-9 officers wear tac holsters because wearing a leash around the waist can interfere with a draw from the hip. But that can be solved with a hood system similar to ones safariland makes. They also potentially will have to put on a heavy vest if they work with swat. I would stick with your current set up.

Oh and as far as the "neutral position" of your hands for a draw with the thigh holster... Your hands shouldn't be down at your side when you are dealing with anyone in the first place. If you think about it, your hands are actually much closer to your hips when you are interacting with people... At least thats where they should be ;-)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMal View Post
Tac holsters are just that... For Tac operators. They are designed to be able to wear a heavy vest and not have it interfere with your draw. That's really the only plus for a Tac holster. They are not comfortable to run in and move all over while running, make it harder to draw from a seated position, the constant rubbing and moving destroys uniform pants and without getting into too much detail... Retention. Lots of k-9 officers wear tac holsters because wearing a leash around the waist can interfere with a draw from the hip. But that can be solved with a hood system similar to ones safariland makes. They also potentially will have to put on a heavy vest if they work with swat. I would stick with your current set up.

Oh and as far as the "neutral position" of your hands for a draw with the thigh holster... Your hands shouldn't be down at your side when you are dealing with anyone in the first place. If you think about it, your hands are actually much closer to your hips when you are interacting with people... At least thats where they should be ;-)
This makes total sense, I just personally found it more comfortable... even to run in... maybe I'm doing something wrong I do not operate in "tactical" environments by any means, and I realize that they're not named tactical holsters for nothing.

Another guy just showed me his pants yesterday, he wears his Taser on a tac holster and that is super light compared to a firearm and the inside of his pants were destroyed. And that was a nice pair of 5.11 tac pants too, so I know they really take a toll on your uniform.

As far as drawing from a seated position... I can't currently draw from inside my vehicle as it is. Only when I gear down and wear my level 1 blackhawk paddle holster (which is adjusted to angle the gun forward) can I even attempt to draw from inside the car. Especially with the seat belt on! Maybe its because I used my truck to patrol, not a CV. Not sure how big of a difference it makes. To me, I think a thigh rig makes it way easier to draw from a seated position. Maybe its just me

I agree and am not arguing your points you made, just trying to bounce ideas around and see if I'm missing something. I know there are many cons to a tac holster for regular patrol duty, but are there any pros? I thought the drawing while seated was a + but I guess its different for you.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
Don't think you are arguing at all! There are pros and cons for every type of gear out there. It just comes down to personal preference and what your department allows. You have to decide what pros you like best and what cons you are going to live with. I have never worn a Tac holster on patrol but I have worn it in a patrol car to and from swat trainings etc. I've messed around with trying to draw seated with the Tac holster and found its not as fast as my hip rig. Your set up may be different so that will be a deciding factor for you. You can always just try it out for a while and see if you like it. If not, you can always switch back.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery

This is what i rock with the tlr-1 light. I like it a lot, plus this is what my dept. uses have no choice, But I like it. It's a Safariland ALS Level 3 with light holster. I know a lot of K9 guys out there wear the drop holster but I don't like crap on my leg while running. Looks cool, functions like sheot IMO.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post

This is what i rock with the tlr-1 light. I like it a lot, plus this is what my dept. uses have no choice, But I like it. It's a Safariland ALS Level 3 with light holster. I know a lot of K9 guys out there wear the drop holster but I don't like crap on my leg while running. Looks cool, functions like sheot IMO.

What my dept uses and IMO the best holster out there!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Thin Blue Line

Quote:

This is the safariland holster I have except without the light area. I like the holster, can't stand the hood release though. Probably just takes practice and some getting used too, but the blackhawk is way easier to draw from IMO. That's why I am debating switching. The safari land I can wear on my belt or on thigh rig. Just seeing what holsters you guys like and hip vs thigh preference and why. Thanks for your input everyone
Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Tim 2011 DC is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Tim 2011 DC's Tacoma Gallery
Do a quick google search about the Serpa holster and how it has failed to release the pistol as well as leading to negligent discharges. After you read a little, go ahead and get the Safariland that mounts to your belt rather than on a drop leg platform.

Edit to add: Try getting in and out of the car with the two different holsters. Try drawing from a seated position. Try running, which is more stable? Try drawing from any position other than standing on the range. I think you'll see the belt mounted does a better job all around. If you like it mounted lower like your current holster Safariland makes them that way too.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 2011 DC View Post
Do a quick google search about the Serpa holster and how it has failed to release the pistol as well as leading to negligent discharges. After you read a little, go ahead and get the Safariland that mounts to your belt rather than on a drop leg platform.

Edit to add: Try getting in and out of the car with the two different holsters. Try drawing from a seated position. Try running, which is more stable? Try drawing from any position other than standing on the range. I think you'll see the belt mounted does a better job all around. If you like it mounted lower like your current holster Safariland makes them that way too.
I will definitely check that out! Just to clarify also, this is the current Safariland holster I have, it is model 6070 Raptor Level 4 retention with mid-ride attachment. This is the holster I was considering purchasing the tac platform for. But I think I need to practice drawing before I change anything. As it is, I can hardly get my gun out of this thing with 2 hand holding it in front of me

Thanks for all the input again everyone. I know its as simple as try it, use it, test it, practice with it, etc etc and decide for myself. I was just looking for some other reviews as well and this has certainly helped so far!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
I will definitely check that out! Just to clarify also, this is the current Safariland holster I have, it is model 6070 Raptor Level 4 retention with mid-ride attachment. This is the holster I was considering purchasing the tac platform for. But I think I need to practice drawing before I change anything. As it is, I can hardly get my gun out of this thing with 2 hand holding it in front of me
I have the 6270. Level 4 with the sls hood guard.
Only differance is I don't have the middle finger release, I just rock the gun back a bit and then draw.

Its new to me but it seems to be a solid holster. Just takes practice.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO4LOW View Post
I have the 6270. Level 4 with the sls hood guard.
Only differance is I don't have the middle finger release, I just rock the gun back a bit and then draw.

Its new to me but it seems to be a solid holster. Just takes practice.
Yeah its the middle finger thing that I can't stand. If it were a trigger finger release like the serpa then I would love it. But the middle finger thing doesn't seem natural to me
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah its the middle finger thing that I can't stand. If it were a trigger finger release like the serpa then I would love it. But the middle finger thing doesn't seem natural to me
I guess that feature has been replaced with the rock back to release because of that reason. I'm still getting the hang of mine. seems solid tho. I have the mid ride loop system and it works well while sitting in the truck. Wish I could be more helpful with the original question but I've never used a thigh rig.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO4LOW View Post
I guess that feature has been replaced with the rock back to release because of that reason. I'm still getting the hang of mine. seems solid tho. I have the mid ride loop system and it works well while sitting in the truck. Wish I could be more helpful with the original question but I've never used a thigh rig.
But mine also has the rock back as well. Its the hood, the middle finger release, then push down and back and draw. Plus the regular retention. So the finger thing is just annoying to me. But its super super legit and I imagine very difficult for someone to draw off of me
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #14

IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But mine also has the rock back as well. Its the hood, the middle finger release, then push down and back and draw. Plus the regular retention. So the finger thing is just annoying to me. But its super super legit and I imagine very difficult for someone to draw off of me
Hmm Idk then. Mine has the sentry lock/hood guard, sls rotating hood, then the rock back and draw.

I've had some friends/family try to get my gun (unloaded/safety checked) from the holster while its on me. Even knowing the retention devices they can't do it fast enough for me to not stop them.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the safariland holster I have except without the light area. I like the holster, can't stand the hood release though. Probably just takes practice and some getting used too, but the blackhawk is way easier to draw from IMO. That's why I am debating switching. The safari land I can wear on my belt or on thigh rig. Just seeing what holsters you guys like and hip vs thigh preference and why. Thanks for your input everyone
I took the stupid hood thingy off..Takes some practice from the ss3 holsters that we had when I first came on. But once you get used to it it's like anything else...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
Robo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to beholdRobo02cop is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: Deputy
Robo02cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I took the stupid hood thingy off..Takes some practice from the ss3 holsters that we had when I first came on. But once you get used to it it's like anything else...
I did the same thing!!! It kept poking me and I kept catching the seat belt on it when I tried to jump outta the cruiser quick!!! Plus when crawling on the ground it became a shovel for the sand!!