Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Lightbar legality ? and moving vs equipment violation help (LEO)

Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #21
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Never had a problem, since I met MonkeyProof we've only been pulled over once, so the CHP officer could check the truck out. Technically twice, they check for violations when you go to the Santa Monica Peir, we had no front license plate.
Interesting. Do they do this while you are there, or do they just poke around the parked cars?

A few years ago (okay, maybe 15 or 20), I noticed CHP ticketing parked cars along Azusa and San Gabriel for no front plates.
This was before the Forest Adventure Pass was needed to park.

I had one threatened to ticket me when I stopped on my Vulcan to take a leak at a rest stop near Dawson Saddle.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #22
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Okay... if the lenses are clear, I wouldn't sweat the red corners.
Yep, all clear :thumbup:

Old 08-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Wow, brings up memories.......we had a guy next to our shop who had a bar like this who liked playing hero waaayyy to often at accident scenes, and simple tire changes and stranded motorists.
Problem was he was ALWAYS interfering.....he would race to the scene once he heard the report go over the waves on his scanner....local PD forced him to remove the lightbar after multiple warnings.

Id suggest using it only when absolutely neccisary.
Oh trust me I'm no super hero, nor am I in any way trying to play cop. I know people talk crap about security thinking we are all just wannabe cops and blah blah blah. I can say i am nobody special, and dont think I have any type of special treatment just cause I carry a gun. These lights are strictly for work and off road use (when needed), as well as if I happen to see a major traffic incident or know I can lend a hand, I will. But I certainly don't stop for fender benders or flat tires. Only serious stuff, as would most people.

EDIT: haha this made me think... Rich, what's that article about the ninja security guy that was too much! No worries people, I'm not that guy lol
Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
EDIT: haha this made me think... Rich, what's that article about the ninja security guy that was too much! No worries people, I'm not that guy lol
Gecko45
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

I still end up on the floor reading that.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Gecko45
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

I still end up on the floor reading that.
Hahaha that's great! I think this is who wolfpack was referring too lol
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #26
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Whoa.....I've only read a paragraph in so far....imma have to sign off of here, that story looks awesome, thankd for sharing!

Sadly, no I was referring to some tool who had a shop next door to our alarm company. I think he woulda worn a cape if he found 1 that would fit.
Hahaha that's funny. Some people go too far.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #27
IronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Bad Cop, No Donut!
IronPig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is a point if you were fined, and then the officer caught you with the same violation again, yes?
No. Points are for moving violations only like speeding, running a red light, stop sign, yield etc. Some carry two points like DUI, some reckless. All mechanical, insurance, seatbelts, etc are not points against your driver history.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #28
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the grey area is the two red lights. Why not just hook those up as brake lights? If you did that you'd be set up the same as a tow truck.

I wouldn't want to be caught with flashing red lights or wig wags, especially in CA, where the volunteer firefighters are not even allowed lights. You'd really stand out. I might feel differently if it were more common to see an unofficial looking truck with lights on it.

The amber lights facing to the rear don't seem like a big deal. I see city trucks, cal trans, tow trucks, surveyors with them all the time. The red ones are what will get you the wrong type of attention. And probably the wig wags as well.

It's not often that I see a police car around here lit up like a christmas tree on the side of the road. If they are stopped they usually just run the amber lights. And CHP just runs the factory flashers on the side of the road.

If you are worried about attracting the type of law enforcement attention that you don't need, try not to stand out too much.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #29
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Sounds like the grey area is the two red lights. Why not just hook those up as brake lights? If you did that you'd be set up the same as a tow truck.

I wouldn't want to be caught with flashing red lights or wig wags, especially in CA, where the volunteer firefighters are not even allowed lights. You'd really stand out. I might feel differently if it were more common to see an unofficial looking truck with lights on it.

The amber lights facing to the rear don't seem like a big deal. I see city trucks, cal trans, tow trucks, surveyors with them all the time. The red ones are what will get you the wrong type of attention. And probably the wig wags as well.

It's not often that I see a police car around here lit up like a christmas tree on the side of the road. If they are stopped they usually just run the amber lights. And CHP just runs the factory flashers on the side of the road.

If you are worried about attracting the type of law enforcement attention that you don't need, try not to stand out too much.
The idea of using the red as brake lights was a though but then I thought that every time I tap the brake pedal, every car behind me sees the red lights, and therefore I'm giving myself away and only asking to get pulled over. I think since the lenses are clear, just leaving them as is is less obvious then the brake idea. I could always run the 2 reds through a relay and switch them, that way if I ever get stopped for whatever reason, I can disable them in case the officer "investigates" the light further. But during an actually emergency, I highly doubt any cop would say anything about them. I know its not often that you run into an actual emergency, but like I said, these are rarely going to be used and I know that. I won't be driving around looking for a reason to use them. A few of my partners at work are LEOs and some say its whatever, others say its bad. I guess it depend on the time, place, circumstances, and who sees them in use really. Its clear they are illegal... knowing if I'll actually get cited just depends on if I use them responsibly or immaturely.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #30
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
i have a strobe setting for my dust lights.

i work for caltrans and signed a waiver for some cases(callouts) that authorize me to use my personal vehicle for state service.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #31
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
i have a strobe setting for my dust lights.

i work for caltrans and signed a waiver for some cases(callouts) that authorize me to use my personal vehicle for state service.
That's convenient
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #32
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Plus, I think it would be easier to just disable the reds so only the ambers come on when you flip a switch, instead of wiring them to the brakes.
True. I could still switch them and generally leave them off unless I really think its justified (probably very rarely) then turn them on I guess.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #33
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Dang that lightbar would be so handy for when I am on car accidents. Most of our calls are car accidents because our district is mainly windy busy highways, and I usually end up in my own truck on scenes because the worst accidents are between me and the station. Idk about the laws here but I was planning on getting some kind of amber flashers just to warn traffic. Probably not a directional like this but whatever I can legally get without everyone freaking out.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #34
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Dang that lightbar would be so handy for when I am on car accidents. Most of our calls are car accidents because our district is mainly windy busy highways, and I usually end up in my own truck on scenes because the worst accidents are between me and the station. Idk about the laws here but I was planning on getting some kind of amber flashers just to warn traffic. Probably not a directional like this but whatever I can legally get without everyone freaking out.
You can order it in all amber, and it comes in a 6 light setup instead of 8 also. Fully weatherproof as well.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #35
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's convenient

yes very haha
Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #36
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep. Stupid law. But all my problems would be solved if I simply made a cover for them. Even though all the lenses are clear and don't look red. A cover would make it legal to have, still not to use

And to answers everyone's "why" do I "need" them.... I dont. But I have them and I will use them when needed. But I don't "need" any of it technically. It just comes in handy.

And someone asked me why would I have a use at work even, well I actually would use then a lot at work. I used my old smaller bar all the time. Almost every shift in fact. Just last week I went 10-14 with fire and medical because they could not locate the the incident. I turned everything on and had a fire truck, ambulance, and 2 units following behind me code 2. Only for about a mile, but it was a critical incident and nobody cared. I get its still not legal. But using only when necessary I think I'll be fine. Only time will tell I suppose.
What the hell is 10-14? If I was responding to any type of call I would not be okay with having a security guy leading us in his POV with all his lights on; huge liability for the FD and yourself.

As innocent as your intentions are, I would say to just stick with the ambers. If I was in your position I would just use the hazard lights.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
SFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud of

Name: Brett C
SFSMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Report of a prowler. We usually just snuck up no lights or sirens to those type of calls to not scare the person away hoping to catch them in the act.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSMedic View Post
Report of a prowler. We usually just snuck up no lights or sirens to those type of calls to not scare the person away hoping to catch them in the act.
Sounds like a job for the fuzz to handle. Don't think they need a security guard lit up like a Xmas tree scaring the creeper off anyway.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post

So your employer made you sign a waiver so you can use your POV for work? What exactly did you waive when you signed it? Who insures you and your truck while on the job? I know my insurance will flip me the bird if I incur any liability while working and using my personal truck.

I am sure it's nice to not have to go to the yard and pick up a state vehicle just for a quick call, just wondering how much risk you are assuming that would normally be your employer's.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
So your employer made you sign a waiver so you can use your POV for work? What exactly did you waive when you signed it? Who insures you and your truck while on the job? I know my insurance will flip me the bird if I incur any liability while working and using my personal truck.
I used my personal vehicles for almost 20 years for work, and AAA was okay with it. Their prohibition was if the actual WORK involved the vehicle such as delivery, or ferrying clients, etc... That would be denied.
In my case (and Leo's), the POV is simply being used to get us to and from the job site.

The annual mileage drives higher rates, and that's what covers the business use time.

When I changed jobs in 2006, the corporate policy was that they WOULD cover my POV under their policy, so not only did I have to track my business use for the IRS, I also had to track it and submit to AAA with the proof of corporate coverage to get a reduction in my rate.