Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Lightbar legality ? and moving vs equipment violation help (LEO)

Old 08-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
You know I did not know you had to have your off-road lights covered on road until recently
Another thing I never had a problem with.

I TRIED to remember to cover them... but I only made damned sure I covered them after I did my monthly "circle in a parking lot at night" to check for burned out lighting that I noticed that when they were not covered, they were a VERY bright red from the 3rd brake light reflection.

Company that installed the cap now removes the lamps from the high mount, but they didn't do that in 2005.

The front lights are low enough, and being only 55 watt, as long as I only ran them with the high beams, and as long as my lows and fogs shut off properly, they were legal at that height without being covered.

I wired them without a switch... just relayed them off of the high beams.

The roof rack was powered by a pair of 30a circuits going into a Pelican box in which I had made a relay bank.
Two of the big lights and the front corner lights, and strobes were on one circuit, the other two big lights and the rear lights were on the other.
The relays were switched from here:

Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You know I did not know you had to have your off-road lights covered on road until recently
Yep. Stupid law. But all my problems would be solved if I simply made a cover for them. Even though all the lenses are clear and don't look red. A cover would make it legal to have, still not to use

And to answers everyone's "why" do I "need" them.... I dont. But I have them and I will use them when needed. But I don't "need" any of it technically. It just comes in handy.

And someone asked me why would I have a use at work even, well I actually would use then a lot at work. I used my old smaller bar all the time. Almost every shift in fact. Just last week I went 10-14 with fire and medical because they could not locate the the incident. I turned everything on and had a fire truck, ambulance, and 2 units following behind me code 2. Only for about a mile, but it was a critical incident and nobody cared. I get its still not legal. But using only when necessary I think I'll be fine. Only time will tell I suppose.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay... if the lenses are clear, I wouldn't sweat the red corners.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Another thing I never had a problem with.

I TRIED to remember to cover them... but I only made damned sure I covered them after I did my monthly "circle in a parking lot at night" to check for burned out lighting that I noticed that when they were not covered, they were a VERY bright red from the 3rd brake light reflection.

Company that installed the cap now removes the lamps from the high mount, but they didn't do that in 2005.

The front lights are low enough, and being only 55 watt, as long as I only ran them with the high beams, and as long as my lows and fogs shut off properly, they were legal at that height without being covered.

I wired them without a switch... just relayed them off of the high beams.

Quote:
x2, like I think I said earlier, no cop is going to pull you over for the lights when they're off, especially since the lenses are clear. It's not illegal to have it on your truck.

The roof rack was powered by a pair of 30a circuits going into a Pelican box in which I had made a relay bank.
Two of the big lights and the front corner lights, and strobes were on one circuit, the other two big lights and the rear lights were on the other.
The relays were switched from here:

Never had a problem, since I met MonkeyProof we've only been pulled over once, so the CHP officer could check the truck out. Technically twice, they check for violations when you go to the Santa Monica Peir, we had no front license plate. I don't even think we have covers for them, Monkey likes to use them when we drive Angeles Crest Hwy.

The only picture I could find of the switches, half of them are blank
Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Never had a problem, since I met MonkeyProof we've only been pulled over once, so the CHP officer could check the truck out. Technically twice, they check for violations when you go to the Santa Monica Peir, we had no front license plate. I don't even think we have covers for them, Monkey likes to use them when we drive Angeles Crest Hwy.

The only picture I could find of the switches, half of them are blank
So are these just red ans blue switches or are they red and blue exterior lighting
Old 08-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Never had a problem, since I met MonkeyProof we've only been pulled over once, so the CHP officer could check the truck out. Technically twice, they check for violations when you go to the Santa Monica Peir, we had no front license plate.
Interesting. Do they do this while you are there, or do they just poke around the parked cars?

A few years ago (okay, maybe 15 or 20), I noticed CHP ticketing parked cars along Azusa and San Gabriel for no front plates.
This was before the Forest Adventure Pass was needed to park.

I had one threatened to ticket me when I stopped on my Vulcan to take a leak at a rest stop near Dawson Saddle.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Yep, all clear :thumbup:

Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Wow, brings up memories.......we had a guy next to our shop who had a bar like this who liked playing hero waaayyy to often at accident scenes, and simple tire changes and stranded motorists.
Problem was he was ALWAYS interfering.....he would race to the scene once he heard the report go over the waves on his scanner....local PD forced him to remove the lightbar after multiple warnings.

Id suggest using it only when absolutely neccisary.
Oh trust me I'm no super hero, nor am I in any way trying to play cop. I know people talk crap about security thinking we are all just wannabe cops and blah blah blah. I can say i am nobody special, and dont think I have any type of special treatment just cause I carry a gun. These lights are strictly for work and off road use (when needed), as well as if I happen to see a major traffic incident or know I can lend a hand, I will. But I certainly don't stop for fender benders or flat tires. Only serious stuff, as would most people.

EDIT: haha this made me think... Rich, what's that article about the ninja security guy that was too much! No worries people, I'm not that guy lol
Old 08-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #29
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
So are these just red ans blue switches or are they red and blue exterior lighting
Haha, they are just colored switches.

Quote:
Interesting. Do they do this while you are there, or do they just poke around the parked cars?

A few years ago (okay, maybe 15 or 20), I noticed CHP ticketing parked cars along Azusa and San Gabriel for no front plates.
This was before the Forest Adventure Pass was needed to park.

I had one threatened to ticket me when I stopped on my Vulcan to take a leak at a rest stop near Dawson Saddle.
You know, Monkey reminded me, they were running a sobriety check point right where you pulled in and they just waved us over for the plate (which is in the truck).. we showed it to her and she said to put it on when we parked and that was that.

The other one I mentioned was we were turning back from the entrance of Little Rock Reservoir (because it was closed) and he was flashed us and we pulled over. Ask "have you been drinking today" (it was the middle of the day lol) and was doing the nystagmus test and everything. Handed over liscense and reg. and he didn't even look at them. Instead, he walked to the front of the truck, crouched down and checked everything out, then came back and said "Do you guys know Trail-Gear"

Let us go, and as we drove away did donuts in his car and took off!!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #30

Quote:
EDIT: haha this made me think... Rich, what's that article about the ninja security guy that was too much! No worries people, I'm not that guy lol
Gecko45
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

I still end up on the floor reading that.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Gecko45
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

I still end up on the floor reading that.
Hahaha that's great! I think this is who wolfpack was referring too lol
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #32
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Whoa.....I've only read a paragraph in so far....imma have to sign off of here, that story looks awesome, thankd for sharing!

Sadly, no I was referring to some tool who had a shop next door to our alarm company. I think he woulda worn a cape if he found 1 that would fit.
Hahaha that's funny. Some people go too far.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #33
IronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Bad Cop, No Donut!
IronPig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is a point if you were fined, and then the officer caught you with the same violation again, yes?
No. Points are for moving violations only like speeding, running a red light, stop sign, yield etc. Some carry two points like DUI, some reckless. All mechanical, insurance, seatbelts, etc are not points against your driver history.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #34
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPig View Post
No. Points are for moving violations only like speeding, running a red light, stop sign, yield etc. Some carry two points like DUI, some reckless. All mechanical, insurance, seatbelts, etc are not points against your driver history.
What does this refer to then? I am interested, because it was on the list of violations equaling one point.
Quote:
24004. No person shall operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles after notice by a peace officer, as defined in Section 830.1 or subdivision (a) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, that the vehicle is in an unsafe condition or is not equipped as required by this code, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle or combination of vehicles to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle and its equipment have been made to conform with the requirements of this code.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to an employee who does not know that such notice has been issued, and in such event the provisions of Section 40001 shall be applicable.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #35
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the grey area is the two red lights. Why not just hook those up as brake lights? If you did that you'd be set up the same as a tow truck.

I wouldn't want to be caught with flashing red lights or wig wags, especially in CA, where the volunteer firefighters are not even allowed lights. You'd really stand out. I might feel differently if it were more common to see an unofficial looking truck with lights on it.

The amber lights facing to the rear don't seem like a big deal. I see city trucks, cal trans, tow trucks, surveyors with them all the time. The red ones are what will get you the wrong type of attention. And probably the wig wags as well.

It's not often that I see a police car around here lit up like a christmas tree on the side of the road. If they are stopped they usually just run the amber lights. And CHP just runs the factory flashers on the side of the road.

If you are worried about attracting the type of law enforcement attention that you don't need, try not to stand out too much.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #36
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Sounds like the grey area is the two red lights. Why not just hook those up as brake lights? If you did that you'd be set up the same as a tow truck.

I wouldn't want to be caught with flashing red lights or wig wags, especially in CA, where the volunteer firefighters are not even allowed lights. You'd really stand out. I might feel differently if it were more common to see an unofficial looking truck with lights on it.

The amber lights facing to the rear don't seem like a big deal. I see city trucks, cal trans, tow trucks, surveyors with them all the time. The red ones are what will get you the wrong type of attention. And probably the wig wags as well.

It's not often that I see a police car around here lit up like a christmas tree on the side of the road. If they are stopped they usually just run the amber lights. And CHP just runs the factory flashers on the side of the road.

If you are worried about attracting the type of law enforcement attention that you don't need, try not to stand out too much.
The idea of using the red as brake lights was a though but then I thought that every time I tap the brake pedal, every car behind me sees the red lights, and therefore I'm giving myself away and only asking to get pulled over. I think since the lenses are clear, just leaving them as is is less obvious then the brake idea. I could always run the 2 reds through a relay and switch them, that way if I ever get stopped for whatever reason, I can disable them in case the officer "investigates" the light further. But during an actually emergency, I highly doubt any cop would say anything about them. I know its not often that you run into an actual emergency, but like I said, these are rarely going to be used and I know that. I won't be driving around looking for a reason to use them. A few of my partners at work are LEOs and some say its whatever, others say its bad. I guess it depend on the time, place, circumstances, and who sees them in use really. Its clear they are illegal... knowing if I'll actually get cited just depends on if I use them responsibly or immaturely.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #37
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
i have a strobe setting for my dust lights.

i work for caltrans and signed a waiver for some cases(callouts) that authorize me to use my personal vehicle for state service.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #38
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The idea of using the red as brake lights was a though but then I thought that every time I tap the brake pedal, every car behind me sees the red lights, and therefore I'm giving myself away and only asking to get pulled over. I think since the lenses are clear, just leaving them as is is less obvious then the brake idea. I could always run the 2 reds through a relay and switch them, that way if I ever get stopped for whatever reason, I can disable them in case the officer "investigates" the light further. But during an actually emergency, I highly doubt any cop would say anything about them. I know its not often that you run into an actual emergency, but like I said, these are rarely going to be used and I know that. I won't be driving around looking for a reason to use them. A few of my partners at work are LEOs and some say its whatever, others say its bad. I guess it depend on the time, place, circumstances, and who sees them in use really. Its clear they are illegal... knowing if I'll actually get cited just depends on if I use them responsibly or immaturely.
Plus, I think it would be easier to just disable the reds so only the ambers come on when you flip a switch, instead of wiring them to the brakes.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #39
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
i have a strobe setting for my dust lights.

i work for caltrans and signed a waiver for some cases(callouts) that authorize me to use my personal vehicle for state service.
That's convenient
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #40
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Plus, I think it would be easier to just disable the reds so only the ambers come on when you flip a switch, instead of wiring them to the brakes.
True. I could still switch them and generally leave them off unless I really think its justified (probably very rarely) then turn them on I guess.