Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Lightbar legality ? and moving vs equipment violation help (LEO)

Old 08-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #41
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Dang that lightbar would be so handy for when I am on car accidents. Most of our calls are car accidents because our district is mainly windy busy highways, and I usually end up in my own truck on scenes because the worst accidents are between me and the station. Idk about the laws here but I was planning on getting some kind of amber flashers just to warn traffic. Probably not a directional like this but whatever I can legally get without everyone freaking out.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #42
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Dang that lightbar would be so handy for when I am on car accidents. Most of our calls are car accidents because our district is mainly windy busy highways, and I usually end up in my own truck on scenes because the worst accidents are between me and the station. Idk about the laws here but I was planning on getting some kind of amber flashers just to warn traffic. Probably not a directional like this but whatever I can legally get without everyone freaking out.
You can order it in all amber, and it comes in a 6 light setup instead of 8 also. Fully weatherproof as well.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #43
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
That's convenient

yes very haha
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #44
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Yep. Stupid law. But all my problems would be solved if I simply made a cover for them. Even though all the lenses are clear and don't look red. A cover would make it legal to have, still not to use

And to answers everyone's "why" do I "need" them.... I dont. But I have them and I will use them when needed. But I don't "need" any of it technically. It just comes in handy.

And someone asked me why would I have a use at work even, well I actually would use then a lot at work. I used my old smaller bar all the time. Almost every shift in fact. Just last week I went 10-14 with fire and medical because they could not locate the the incident. I turned everything on and had a fire truck, ambulance, and 2 units following behind me code 2. Only for about a mile, but it was a critical incident and nobody cared. I get its still not legal. But using only when necessary I think I'll be fine. Only time will tell I suppose.
What the hell is 10-14? If I was responding to any type of call I would not be okay with having a security guy leading us in his POV with all his lights on; huge liability for the FD and yourself.

As innocent as your intentions are, I would say to just stick with the ambers. If I was in your position I would just use the hazard lights.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #45
SFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud ofSFSMedic has much to be proud of

Name: Brett C
SFSMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Report of a prowler. We usually just snuck up no lights or sirens to those type of calls to not scare the person away hoping to catch them in the act.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #46
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSMedic View Post
Report of a prowler. We usually just snuck up no lights or sirens to those type of calls to not scare the person away hoping to catch them in the act.
Sounds like a job for the fuzz to handle. Don't think they need a security guard lit up like a Xmas tree scaring the creeper off anyway.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #47
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post

i work for caltrans and signed a waiver for some cases(callouts) that authorize me to use my personal vehicle for state service.
So your employer made you sign a waiver so you can use your POV for work? What exactly did you waive when you signed it? Who insures you and your truck while on the job? I know my insurance will flip me the bird if I incur any liability while working and using my personal truck.

I am sure it's nice to not have to go to the yard and pick up a state vehicle just for a quick call, just wondering how much risk you are assuming that would normally be your employer's.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
So your employer made you sign a waiver so you can use your POV for work? What exactly did you waive when you signed it? Who insures you and your truck while on the job? I know my insurance will flip me the bird if I incur any liability while working and using my personal truck.
I used my personal vehicles for almost 20 years for work, and AAA was okay with it. Their prohibition was if the actual WORK involved the vehicle such as delivery, or ferrying clients, etc... That would be denied.
In my case (and Leo's), the POV is simply being used to get us to and from the job site.

The annual mileage drives higher rates, and that's what covers the business use time.

When I changed jobs in 2006, the corporate policy was that they WOULD cover my POV under their policy, so not only did I have to track my business use for the IRS, I also had to track it and submit to AAA with the proof of corporate coverage to get a reduction in my rate.