Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Why Window Tint law?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Why Window Tint law?

ok.....

Let me rephrase my question:

Now, what is the reasoning behind the window tint laws in California?

Is it just a money making scheme?
I can think of three reasons besides that:

1) The tint obstructs my view outside the vehicle.
--however, I can wear sunglasses if I want and not get pulled over for that. yes, there is night time, but hey, I can wear sunglasses at night and not get pulled over for that either. And also, how much time do we spend looking out the side of the window. Dark tint doesn't really obstruct the drivers vision unless there is a light on inside the car. Realistically, if there's a light on inside the car, it doesn't matter if there's tint, it's going to obstruct the driver's view.

2) Tint makes it difficult for officers to identify the driver.
--motorcyclist may wear tinted visors and a helmet. This obviously obstructs the view of the rider from the officers. So, why not outlaw the use of tinted visors and helmets?

3) Tint makes it difficult for officers to view whether or not the driver is wearing their seat belt and or using a hand held device.
--The tint law was in effect before the seat belt law and before the hand held device law.

Anything??

Any reason why this law is even enforced?

It would make me feel a lot better about shelling out money to remove my tint and pay the fee for the ticket.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
t

t is for ...time... to... leave
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
t

t is for ...time... to... leave

Are there the same tint laws in NV??

If not, I think CA is about to lose another tax payer.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Are there the same tint laws in NV??

If not, I think CA is about to lose another tax payer.

Up to 35% is legal here.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Because when a cop pulls over an old Buick on 22" rims, driving through the worst part of Oakland or LA they want to be able to see the minorities inside.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea how to answer that or the real reason why, I should ask my cousin who is a cop now that you mention it.
When I lived in FL I had limo tint on every window but the windshield. Totally legal. The reason being is that in FL it really helps keep the interior cooler in the summer months.
When I moved to Cali with that car I had to take it off. Albeit I did get a warning when I got here because I had a car load of stuff and still FL plates and was literally just arriving. But, I had to submit that I did have it removed.

Probably a money scheme IMO. SoCal gets super hot too so it would be useful there.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
OffRdn916 is on a distinguished road
OffRdn916's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Because when a cop pulls over an old Buick on 22" rims, driving through the worst part of Oakland or LA they want to be able to see the minorities inside.
this is what they teach you in the academy(not so much the minority part) but as an officer, you want to see hands. Don't want to walk up on a guy holding a gun to the window.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
I have no idea how to answer that or the real reason why, I should ask my cousin who is a cop now that you mention it.
When I lived in FL I had limo tint on every window but the windshield. Totally legal. The reason being is that in FL it really helps keep the interior cooler in the summer months.
When I moved to Cali with that car I had to take it off. Albeit I did get a warning when I got here because I had a car load of stuff and still FL plates and was literally just arriving. But, I had to submit that I did have it removed.

Probably a money scheme IMO. SoCal gets super hot too so it would be useful there.
It isn't a money scheme when they're only making $25 dollar per fix-it ticket.

When I got pulled over doing 40 in a 30 the cop cut me a break. Instead of writing me up for speeding and jacking my insurance, he have me a fix it ticket for the tint instead. I pulled it off myself, got it signed by another officer , and drive straight to the tint shop to pay the $50 to put it back on.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Certain aftermarket tints are put on in such a way that it alters the way the original glass is intended to break.

Tint is for safety, perhaps you are going down the road at night, come to a stop and look both ways. Then you go. And BOOM! Because you only have 50% of the light coming through your own glass, you didn't see the drunk driver that had no lights on!

Almost all states have tint laws. Almost all states, the tint is NOT probable cause to stop. You may have gotten pulled over for something else, and had your tint inspected.

What about the laws that govern altering your suspension system from stock? Or removing your mud flaps?

These laws all have safety in mind. Are you responsible for your own safety? YES. But are you responsible if you violate a law that you knew was in place? YES.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRdn916 View Post
this is what they teach you in the academy(not so much the minority part) but as an officer, you want to see hands. Don't want to walk up on a guy holding a gun to the window.
Roll down window and hold hands out if you have tint? Seems simple enough to me.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Superior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rardigo View Post
Roll down window and hold hands out if you have tint? Seems simple enough to me.
X2, but I roll down all the windows, and just leave the hands on the steering wheel.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Good thinking OP. Just a different way of looking at it. Im not a cop. Im a border patrol agent. but ill tell ya what, it is annoying as f&%^$ to see regular citizens get pulled over for tint, including myself, when we have 100s if not 1,000s of f^%#$@ Sonorans (Mexicans) driving into the U.S. with straight up limo tint and nothing is done about it. Theres alot more shit these mexicans get away with but ill stop there.

Back to the limo tint. I think when it really comes down to it, the tint cannot be so dark that a cop wouldnt be able to see if you are drinking while driving...atleast thats the general consensus when ive asked fellow cops. yes a motorcycle is wearing a helmet and all but youd be able to see him drinking anyway.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
Certain aftermarket tints are put on in such a way that it alters the way the original glass is intended to break.

Tint is for safety, perhaps you are going down the road at night, come to a stop and look both ways. Then you go. And BOOM! Because you only have 50% of the light coming through your own glass, you didn't see the drunk driver that had no lights on!

Almost all states have tint laws. Almost all states, the tint is NOT probable cause to stop. You may have gotten pulled over for something else, and had your tint inspected.

What about the laws that govern altering your suspension system from stock? Or removing your mud flaps?

These laws all have safety in mind. Are you responsible for your own safety? YES. But are you responsible if you violate a law that you knew was in place? YES.
or just what he said
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S View Post
Good thinking OP. Just a different way of looking at it. Im not a cop. Im a border patrol agent. but ill tell ya what, it is annoying as f&%^$ to see regular citizens get pulled over for tint, including myself, when we have 100s if not 1,000s of f^%#$@ Sonorans (Mexicans) driving into the U.S. with straight up limo tint and nothing is done about it. Theres alot more shit these mexicans get away with but ill stop there.

Back to the limo tint. I think when it really comes down to it, the tint cannot be so dark that a cop wouldnt be able to see if you are drinking while driving...atleast thats the general consensus when ive asked fellow cops. yes a motorcycle is wearing a helmet and all but youd be able to see him drinking anyway.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
Banned
ruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ruler's Tacoma Gallery
If window tint is illegal so are about 90% of the mods people have on their trucks, so if we talk about modding our trucks we are actually conspiring to break the law
Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
If window tint is illegal so are about 90% of the mods people have on their trucks, so if we talk about modding our trucks we are actually conspiring to break the law

TW is a contained conspiracy theory! And TcBob is the brains! He has us all under control now.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Superior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
$25 what planet r u from? After the court tacks on every fee know to man that ticket probably runs you closer to a few hundred dollars
When I got pulled over the officer told me there were two options to writing up the ticket:

There's 2 types of tickets for tint. The main one that 99% of people get is a fix it ticket. Which costs $25.

If you were acting like a douche to the officer he can write the ticket up in a way that it is actually a moving violation- which then involves court fees.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to profile with tint