Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Opinions? I hate Jöggers in the Bike Lane

Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I hate bicyclists anywhere near the roads, let alone joggers in the bike lane. There is a sidewalk for a reason. What? You don't like the cracks in the sidewalk? Don't fucking jog then.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
I live in a nice residential area, (snip) Maybe I am just over-reacting, but I feel justified.

1.2.3...Discuss!
Well, as I see it, this is yet another example of the self-centered attitude of many bicyclists. In addition to private bicycle lanes just for themselves (keep others - vehicles, joggers, pedestrians, etc - out), they "feel entitled" to the vehicle traffic lanes when those private lanes don't exist. They need to get over themselves. They don't live in this world alone. If they can use/share the traffic lanes, I see no reason whatsoever why joggers can't also use/share their lanes.

You wanted opinions. Well, there it is.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Well, as I see it, this is yet another example of the self-centered attitude of many bicyclists. In addition to private bicycle lanes just for themselves (keep others - vehicles, joggers, pedestrians, etc - out), they "feel entitled" to the vehicle traffic lanes when those private lanes don't exist. They need to get over themselves. They don't live in this world alone. If they can use/share the traffic lanes, I see no reason whatsoever why joggers can't also use/share their lanes.

That is the same way I feel. They have this sense of entitlement and empowerment, so they can go wherever they want and cars have to yield to them. Combine that with their typical condescending attitude, and you get an idea of the people I am referring to in the OP. Pisses me off.

It's like when I see joggers in the pouring down rain and I think to myself "What the fuck is wrong with you people? Does it really make you feel that much better about yourself? 'Cause just look like an asshole trying to get hypothermia!!!"
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
This.

Here in southern California, it is very common to see people riding the wrong way, on the sidewalk.
There is no such thing as riding the "wrong" way on a sidewalk.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I road bike a lot, but I drive to country roads where the traffic is not an issue. I either bike alone or with a buddy. What pisses me off are the "packs" of cyclists that ride 3 or 4 wide on windy roads, even up a canyon. Its just not safe or smart. Im not sure why some people bike on really busy roads at rush hr. I ride to get away from shit, not just be a part of it. And the joggers yeah they can suck too. Jogging in a shopping/restraunt area. They just do it to show off.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is the same way I feel. They have this sense of entitlement and empowerment, so they can go wherever they want and cars have to yield to them. Combine that with their typical condescending attitude, and you get an idea of the people I am referring to in the OP. Pisses me off.

It's like when I see joggers in the pouring down rain and I think to myself "What the fuck is wrong with you people? Does it really make you feel that much better about yourself? 'Cause just look like an asshole trying to get hypothermia!!!"
Have you ever ran in the rain? It's amazing! Then again, when it rains here, you can guarantee it will be at least 60. What I think is crazy is people running in 100+ degree heat.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
a few things.
every runner i have talked to say running on asphault is easier on your knees. And not areas can have bikes on sidwalks as that is ilegal in a lot of areas.

now saying that, i ride on the sidwalk always as i dont want to get ran over lol
Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #30
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Have you ever ran in the rain? It's amazing! Then again, when it rains here, you can guarantee it will be at least 60. What I think is crazy is people running in 100+ degree heat.
Only out of necessity. Up here in the PNW, we usually get the jöggers in 35°-45° with wind and pouring rain.

Maybe I'm just jealous....wait, nope. That's not it.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I road bike a lot, but I drive to country roads where the traffic is not an issue. I either bike alone or with a buddy. What pisses me off are the "packs" of cyclists that ride 3 or 4 wide on windy roads, even up a canyon. Its just not safe or smart. Im not sure why some people bike on really busy roads at rush hr. I ride to get away from shit, not just be a part of it. And the joggers yeah they can suck too. Jogging in a shopping/restraunt area. They just do it to show off.
Try living up here in the bay area. Fucking cyclists everywhere, 2,3,4 or 5 wide on windy ass roads. Try driving through San Francisco!!!! damn near impossible with out taking out a stupid text/talking on a cell pedestrian, paying absolutely NO FUCKING attention to anything around them, walking at a snails pace across a busy road that people are trying to turn on and that have to wait for there slow asses to finally cross, but wait, they make it across and here comes the bicycles speeding through a stop sign and if you are unlucky enough to get hit by one or you hit one, even if its their own fault....your in the wrong
I used to road bike and I never acted the way they do around here, when I cross the street I walk like I have a purpose and if someone is waiting on me to turn, I throw in a little hussle. Its called common fucking courtesy.

Sorry for the RANT It just aggravates the hell out of me how people behave now days.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #32
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I run in the rain because mainly it rains here on a consistent basis. Cycling in the rain is insane though. Traffic is already bad enough. When it's raining there is no reason to make things worse by throwing a bicyclist in the mix.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
a few things.
every runner i have talked to say running on asphault is easier on your knees. And not areas can have bikes on sidwalks as that is ilegal in a lot of areas.

now saying that, i ride on the sidwalk always as i dont want to get ran over lol
Yeah, but it's just common sense.. if there is a sidewalk use it. It's easier on your knees to not get your ass hit by a car.

There are cities that make it illegal to bike on sidewalks. Pedestrians bitch about bikers in the sidewalk, drivers bitch about bikers on the street.. it's only full circle that those with bike lanes bitch about others in them too.
Quote:
Only out of necessity. Up here in the PNW, we usually get the jöggers in 35°-45° with wind and pouring rain.

Maybe I'm just jealous....wait, nope. That's not it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I run in the rain because mainly it rains here on a consistent basis. Cycling in the rain is insane though. Traffic is already bad enough. When it's raining there is no reason to make things worse by throwing a bicyclist in the mix.
You make points.. it depends on the normal weather where you live. If it rains all the time, or is cold all the time, then you're never going to run if you don't suck it up. At least you can run in layers though (for the cold.) If it's super hot, you're just asking for heat stroke.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed it is MUCH nicer running in the rain. I love it.

Runners should be running against the traffic and bikers should be going with the traffic. I agree if there is a bike lane then runners should move out of the way of bikers and should see them coming just fine... Bikers are suppose to uphold the laws of the road.

I live in an upscale area (I have a small house on this area lol) and we have a lot of runners and bikers but no bike lane or sidewalk. It sucks. Many turns you just hope to not get hit since there isn't even a shoulder to run on. Just a ditch line to jump into. If we had EITHER of these things I'd LOVE it!!! Would make thing for cars and people so so much better!

Now if there is only a sidewalk bikes should get the hell off and use the road

As for what you can do... Let your law enforcement know there is an issue. If they are a busy department I would t expect much though. It's just an add on to daily irritants we all encounter.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
...and we're back!

I am really pleased with the responses in this thread. A lot of good opinions from all sides (except law-enforcement, which is what I was hoping for).

Thanks for the input, and I agree with a lot of you guys/gals. I think safety is the biggest concern here; safety for the pedestrians and drivers alike (and my Taco).

I think a couple well-written letters/emails and some phone calls are in order. Maybe a phone call to the Senator

Or, I will just get some reflective safety-orange gear and take it upon myself to "redirect" wayward joggers.

Either way, I will update this thread once I get some answer/results
Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #36
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I'm joggin in the bike lane tomorrow morning just for you Ben
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #37
Shetto24 is on a distinguished road

Shetto24's Tacoma Gallery
Chiming in...In total agreement with the OP. Run on the sidewalks! better yet, find a trail. Also wanted to add that why in the hell do runners want to run near congested streets anyways , breathing in all that nasty ish! To answer my question, probably for the same reasons why when used to live in Denver I would see joggers when it's 10 below 0. Dbags.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
LilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud ofLilTuffGirl has much to be proud of
Name: Nikki
LilTuffGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Law enforcement really cant do much for you unless there is already a state law prohibiting people on foot to be In the bike lane.
And taking upon yourself to do things may work but if you get hostile with them you'll be talking to police in person

Writing to senators and such is probably your best bet if the issue is that bad.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #39
...and we're back!

Here we go:

RCW 46.61.250

Pedestrians on roadways.

(1) Where sidewalks are provided it is unlawful for any pedestrian to walk or otherwise move along and upon an adjacent roadway. Where sidewalks are provided but wheelchair access is not available, disabled persons who require such access may walk or otherwise move along and upon an adjacent roadway until they reach an access point in the sidewalk.

(2) Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking or otherwise moving along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk or move only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction and upon meeting an oncoming vehicle shall move clear of the roadway.

[1990 c 241 § 6; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 37.]
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately in Oregon a pedestrian always has the right-of-way so there isn't shit you can do about it. I agree it's annoying and I hate it.