Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Opinions? I hate Jöggers in the Bike Lane

Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #41
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Sorry, I was talking about skateboarding.
Ahh... true, but skaters need to be aware that they are moving significantly faster than pedestrians and they need to realize that a driver may look directly at them and still pull out in front of them because they don't process the fact that the person on the sidewalk is going to be at the curb in less than 10 seconds.

Tunnel vision... we simply don't look more than 10-20ft down the sidewalk when prepping for a turn.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #43
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Also have to consider the politics.
Money trumps the law. Sucks, but it's true.

We have an area in an equestrian district. Big money there.
Local speed survey shows 80% percentile speed at 45mph.
No pedestrian or equestrian accidents.
Legally, the city engineer can set the speed limit no lower than 35mph, and if someone is ticketed for doing 45, the speed survey would support them and the ticket would be tossed.

The posted limit remains 30mph and will probably never change.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #44
Banned
ruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ruler's Tacoma Gallery
Great just what we need another "nanny law" theres already laws in place. If some idiot gets hit because of their own ignorance not my fault.. Definitely nothing to lose sleep over

I agree its annoying but I also think bums begging for change is annoying, however I dont think they will ever go away no matter how much you enforce any law
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #45
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
I'm joggin in the bike lane tomorrow morning just for you Ben
X2

I run wherever I am safest. Sometimes that means the sidewalk, sometimes that means in the street. If I'm in the street I am running facing traffic.

I also ride a bike. Decided a long time ago that biking can't be done safely on the road. I am trail only. Enroute to the trail, I ride sometimes in the bike lane, sometimes on the sidewalk, occasionally in traffic. Always scared for my life if I am in a bike lane or "car" lane on my bike. I do whatever keeps me safe, and I watch out for my own safety.

I get what you're saying. But it's not just runners, bikers, spandex bikers, etc. It's people. It does not matter if we are talking about people driving cars, or on foot, or on two wheels. It's becoming more and more common for people to willingly place themselves in harm's way and expect others to look out for their safety. No personal responsibility.

Don't turn into a vigilante. There is no good at all that will come from that, and you will not fix the problem. The problem is arrogance and a sense of entitlement.

Drive defensively, the way they taught you in driver's ed all those years ago, and you'll have a successful drive. A successful drive ends with pulling back into the driveway without any dents, or blood on your vehicle, or hands. Anything else is bad news.

A 75 year old man recently said to me "people used to care about people". I can't get that out of my head. Something is very wrong with us, and I don't know how to fix it. This thread just reminds me of that.

Everyone be safe and remember that no matter how arrogant or stupid another driver, pedestrian, spandex biker, etc might be, no matter how much they piss you off, they have a family waiting for them at home. Help them get there in one piece. They may not deserve that, but their mother, father, child, etc does.

This really hits home as I sit here after surviving the day before Thanksgiving. I work as an appliance repair technician. Every year on this day, I see how important everyone thinks they are, and how little we care about each other. Not bashing on the OP or anyone else. I am just hoping folks will stop, look around, and realize how lucky they are if their biggest worry is the jogger in the bike lane, or a friggin oven that is running 25 degrees too hot.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #46
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruler View Post
Great just what we need another "nanny law" theres already laws in place. If some idiot gets hit because of their own ignorance not my fault.. Definitely nothing to lose sleep over

I agree its annoying but I also think bums begging for change is annoying, however I dont think they will ever go away no matter how much you enforce any law
Your point is very...constructive (???). I'm not trying to change the world here, just trying to get some dumbasses to jog on the sidewalk for a 2-mile stretch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
X2

I run wherever I am safest. Sometimes that means the sidewalk, sometimes that means in the street. If I'm in the street I am running facing traffic.

I also ride a bike. Decided a long time ago that biking can't be done safely on the road. I am trail only. Enroute to the trail, I ride sometimes in the bike lane, sometimes on the sidewalk, occasionally in traffic. Always scared for my life if I am in a bike lane or "car" lane on my bike. I do whatever keeps me safe, and I watch out for my own safety.

I get what you're saying. But it's not just runners, bikers, spandex bikers, etc. It's people. It does not matter if we are talking about people driving cars, or on foot, or on two wheels. It's becoming more and more common for people to willingly place themselves in harm's way and expect others to look out for their safety. No personal responsibility.

Don't turn into a vigilante. There is no good at all that will come from that, and you will not fix the problem. The problem is arrogance and a sense of entitlement.

Drive defensively, the way they taught you in driver's ed all those years ago, and you'll have a successful drive. A successful drive ends with pulling back into the driveway without any dents, or blood on your vehicle, or hands. Anything else is bad news.

A 75 year old man recently said to me "people used to care about people". I can't get that out of my head. Something is very wrong with us, and I don't know how to fix it. This thread just reminds me of that.

Everyone be safe and remember that no matter how arrogant or stupid another driver, pedestrian, spandex biker, etc might be, no matter how much they piss you off, they have a family waiting for them at home. Help them get there in one piece. They may not deserve that, but their mother, father, child, etc does.

This really hits home as I sit here after surviving the day before Thanksgiving. I work as an appliance repair technician. Every year on this day, I see how important everyone thinks they are, and how little we care about each other. Not bashing on the OP or anyone else. I am just hoping folks will stop, look around, and realize how lucky they are if their biggest worry is the jogger in the bike lane, or a friggin oven that is running 25 degrees too hot.
I agree with you, and moreso the 75-year old man, but you kinda took this topic out of context.

I am not losing faith in humanity over this, and while I was ranting and obviously heated about the issue, my overall objective is to lower the possibility of someone getting injured or worse. My problem is on a VERY local scale, and I think it can be dealt with easily. Wrote a letter to the city and go from there. 'Merica!

As far as caring for each other, I couldn't agree more. I am a good sam, I stop when someone needs help, I am aware of my surroundings, I am a defensive but chivalrous driver, I small talk, I hold the door, I hold my farts in public (not really). I agree there is a lot more negativity in society, but every day is what you make it and your attitude is a choice (cliché).

This is by far not the "biggest worry" in my life. I just had one of those moments today like "Goddamit, I'm gonna do something about these damn joggers". So I gathered some opinions (none of which were from law enforcement like I had hoped).

I'm not gonna end up like Michael Douglas in "Falling Down"
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #47
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post

I'm not gonna end up like Michael Douglas in "Falling Down"
"Gentlemen, I have to warn you, I am having an exceptional day!"

Too bad you haven't heard from any LEOs yet. But seriously, what are they going to do about it? A couple bike cops hiding in the bushes?

Keep us posted. I'm intrigued.

As far as local problems, every once in awhile I will sit on the front porch and watch cars going through a stop sign without stopping. I will sit there until I see one car come to a complete stop. Sometimes I am out there for an hour. That's probably 60 or so cars.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #48
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
"Gentlemen, I have to warn you, I am having an exceptional day!"

Too bad you haven't heard from any LEOs yet. But seriously, what are they going to do about it? A couple bike cops hiding in the bushes?

Keep us posted. I'm intrigued.

As far as local problems, every once in awhile I will sit on the front porch and watch cars going through a stop sign without stopping. I will sit there until I see one car come to a complete stop. Sometimes I am out there for an hour. That's probably 60 or so cars.
I didn't expect them to "call the local sheriff" or launch a sting operation. Just wanted to get their opinions or suggestions. I am also curious to hear what the response to my letter is. It's not a sprawling metropolis, so they might actaully do something

I guess at this point I can think of this as a social experiment.

*maybe I will turn this into a movie script and sell the rights to Lifetime.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #49
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I have the opposite problem in bike friendly Boulder.

There are bike lanes on most of the the roads in my neighborhood. I walk on the sidewalk of these roads with bike lanes. The cyclists seem to refuse to actually use these bike lanes and would rather make me and my wife move to get out of their way while we walk instead of moving 6 feet over onto the bike lane on the road???

Serious cyclists dressed like they are racing the Tour de France tend to use the bike lanes, but the casual cyclist rides the sidewalk with and against traffic however they please.

It is illegal in Boulder to ride a bike on the sidewalk but it is never enforced.

I let them know they are in the wrong every chance I get, and unfortunately that is almost every time I walk.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #50
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I have the opposite problem in bike friendly Boulder.

There are bike lanes on most of the the roads in my neighborhood. I walk on the sidewalk of these roads with bike lanes. The cyclists seem to refuse to actually use these bike lanes and would rather make me and my wife move to get out of their way while we walk instead of moving 6 feet over onto the bike lane on the road???

Serious cyclists dressed like they are racing the Tour de France tend to use the bike lanes, but the casual cyclist rides the sidewalk with and against traffic however they please.

It is illegal in Boulder to ride a bike on the sidewalk but it is never enforced.

I let them know they are in the wrong every chance I get, and unfortunately that is almost every time I walk.
Throw up an elbow and make 'me eat it. That'll learn 'em.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #51
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, bikers and pedestrians both display a "do what I wanna" attitude sometimes. Reason being in part I think is that almost always the vehicle is responsible in case of an accident, so they figure it's their world. Either that or they assume the person in the car/truck can stop in time, and that's not always true.

I say this all the time when the motorcycle-riding friends of mine bring up "share the road"..my take is I'll share the road with anything on wheels, hell ride a unicycle if you want to..but that means you follow ALL the rules of the road just like I do.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #52
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Ben I ran into a predicament this morning. Three joggers in the bike lane, all were skinny young ladies not wearing much in the cold... Not sure I had a problem with em
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #54
FullMTLjacket is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
FullMTLjacket's Tacoma Gallery
There is nothing more I hate in life than bikers biking in the fucking street! Or not stopping at stop signs.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #55
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #56
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I hate bikers in the car lanes.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #57
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
You know what's worst than joggers in the bike lane? Motorcycles with 3-5 gallon tanks at Costco gas line. Ha ha.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #58
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Way I see it, if you're jogging in a bike lane or in the road itself and you get hit, it's your own damn fault. They make specified paths for a reason, and to mix them like so can be deadly. I can understand if there are no specified lanes, like where I live, but if there is, then you'd best be in the right one. I'm forever seeing bikers on the side walks when there is a bike lane, and walkers/joggers in bike lanes or plain out in the road. It bugs the ever-livin' sh*t out of me when people do this.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #59
sprocketgti3 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE technician, USAFADS, 40th CAMS, Hickam AFB. Nellis AFB, Aviano AFB, Chanute AFB,
Name: Todd
sprocketgti3's Tacoma Gallery
Hum...2 tons of steel vs biomass....Go ahead and run out/bike and meet Jesus.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #60
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Back where I grew up in Jax, the spandex wearing joggers are now ignoring the sidewalks and jogging into oncoming traffic on the side of the road.