Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Opinions? I hate Jöggers in the Bike Lane

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions? I hate Jöggers in the Bike Lane

I live in a nice residential area, and have been there for almost 4 years. It is a new(ish) development targeted towards the middle-class, military families, and also a large retirement community nearby. There are numerous commercial warehouses near the beginning of the road as well.

There are nice 4ft. wide sidewalks and a bike lane on each side of the road. The road is a 40mph 4-lane road with some curves and a median in the middle (separating the oncoming lanes).

This is what pisses me off:

There are an abundance of joggers in the area, which is great; jog away you granola eating vegans . BUT, they refuse to get on the f*cking sidewalk! They feel entitled to jog in the bike lane! 1 or 2 I get, avoiding a baby stroller or a bunch of dogs? Sure hop in the bike lane real quick, but then get back on the sidewalk (it's there for a reason, just like the bike lane). This isn't a once a week thing either. I see at least 10 people a day doing this shit!

I have actually witnessed numerous close-calls with joggers almost getting hit. One time a City Vehicle was parked on the shoulder (legitimately) to check the water meters. I was approaching in the right lane, and signaled to get over to go around the truck. A jogger was approaching in the bike lane wanted to go around the truck as well, so she ran into the street rather than on the grass or sidewalk. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting her and skidded to a stop after ABS kicked in. I rolled down my window, and yelled at her to get on the F'ing sidewalk, she just smiled and waved at me like "Fuck you too!"

I don't think I am irrational in my thinking. Here is a map of the road in question (Willamette Dr. NE, which turns into 41st)
  • As stated, the road is 40mph and has some minor turns/curves. It is safe to assume (as I have witnessed) people driving an average speed of 45-50mph.
  • The retirement community is also off the main drag here, so you regularly see senior-citizens that should have their licenses revoked wandering all over the road and have very poor vision/reaction time (not a stereotype, it's the truth).
  • With the amount of commercial buildings in the area, we also see a large amount of semis, trailers, and other large rigs coming through pulling a lot of weight.
  • Since living here (4 years), I have seen a total of 8 saplings (10"-12" diameter) trees get taken out by shitty drivers, plus some other collisions. This is along a 2 mile stretch of road; statistically, it seems there are quite a few bad drivers in the immediate area.
I am obviously sick of this. I really just want to enforce a policy before someone gets hurt or killed. Sure I could be like "Haha, told you so!" but I'm not that sadistic.

What should I do? Contact the local law enforcement? Contact the City? Make my own signs/stencils that say "Bikes Only! No Joggers"? Vigilante justice (don't know what that would be, but it sounds intimidating)?

Sorry for the long tirade, but I had to get some other opinions on this. Maybe I am just over-reacting, but I feel justified.

1.2.3...Discuss!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The area I grew up in was full of those spandex wearing idiots who love to bike in massive groups on roads with no passing so they would cause huge traffic jams making everyone move at 10-15 in a 40. Those idiots pissed me off, but I somewhat understood.

When their is a sidewalk and you are choosing to ignore it, you have surpassed the greatest of idiot levels into full blown imbecile. Candidates for the Darwin award. The road is for vehicles, not pedestrian traffic.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Captain Taco
tacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter
Name: Matt
tacofire38's Tacoma Gallery
AMEN BROTHA lol im debating keeping like some water ballons or a paint ball gun to show em whos boss lol
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
not many places around here have bike lanes. but one thing i hate is people walking with traffic. also hate people that ride bikes against traffic, or just in the middle of the lane on a blind curve on a 2 lane back road. idk why some bikers can't stay some what to the side.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
The area I grew up in was full of those spandex wearing idiots who love to bike in massive groups on roads with no passing so they would cause huge traffic jams making everyone move at 10-15 in a 40. Those idiots pissed me off, but I somewhat understood.

When their is a sidewalk and you are choosing to ignore it, you have surpassed the greatest of idiot levels into full blown imbecile. Candidates for the Darwin award. The road is for vehicles, not pedestrian traffic.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...these people really piss me off . And it seems like they are multiplying... some of these joggers are REALLY old and feeble too. Call me morbid, but I can guarantee someone is going to get killed if they don't enforce some kind of policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofire38 View Post
AMEN BROTHA lol im debating keeping like some water ballons or a paint ball gun to show em whos boss lol
Haha! That's a great idea. I think I will stop by the dollar store and stock up on squirt guns today. Then again, I would probably be the one getting charged a slapped with a civil suit.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
But their feets might get sore from the hard concrete! Asphalt is so much softer!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you feel the same way about joggers in the bike lane as I do about bikers in the driving lanes...
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Sounds like you feel the same way about joggers in the bike lane as I do about bikers in the driving lanes...
That's a whole different beast altogether. One step at a time...

I think this sums up how I feel about bikers:
http://youtu.be/V3nMnr8ZirI
(Olympia is basically the inbred sister to Portland)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
not many places around here have bike lanes. but one thing i hate is people walking with traffic. also hate people that ride bikes against traffic, or just in the middle of the lane on a blind curve on a 2 lane back road. idk why some bikers can't stay some what to the side.
This.

I don't have a problem with joggers in the bike lane... I'm not in those lanes so they don't create a problem for me.

But I have a BIG problem with bikers and skateboarders going "the wrong way". This is a serious danger for vehicles making both left and right turns.
Making a left turn, you are looking at oncoming traffic, and for pedestrians in the crosswalk. You aren't expecting someone to be rolling 10-15mph against traffic.

Likewise making a right turn. You look right to check the sidewalk and don't see anything near, look left, and when traffic is clear, make the right turn.
I've been hit 3 times (in 30 years) by skateboarders "coming out of nowhere" when I've been making a right turn. Every one of them has hit me near the rear tire.

Here in southern California, it is very common to see people riding the wrong way, on the sidewalk.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
As a cyclist and a runner I would never run on Willamette. I don't even like to ride on Willamette. There are so many cars that exceed the speed limit that it won't be long before there is a fatality. I work at the roof truss plant at the corner of Hogum Bay and Willamette and there is an accident at least once a week. I have ran on that sidewalk you speak of and it is nice and wide.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
As a cyclist and a runner I would never run on Willamette. I don't even like to ride on Willamette. There are so many cars that exceed the speed limit that it won't be long before there is a fatality. I work at the roof truss plant at the corner of Hogum Bay and Willamette and there is an accident at least once a week. I have ran on that sidewalk you speak of and it is nice and wide.
Exactly, that's why I feel so strongly about it. I wanted to get other opinions on TW (mainly cuz my girl is tired of hearing me bitch about it like on old man). Maybe I will just continue to yell obscenities at them from my window.

On a side note: you, me, and Mike (chickenmunga) need to go get a beer sometime.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
you guys think recreational runners are bad...

try driving around kona around the Ironman season

bikers taking up the entire lane, riding side by side
joggers running in the bike lane
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

What if the joggers looked like her ^
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Exactly, that's why I feel so strongly about it. I wanted to get other opinions on TW (mainly cuz my girl is tired of hearing me bitch about it like on old man). Maybe I will just continue to yell obscenities at them from my window.

On a side note: you, me, and Mike (chickenmunga) need to go get a beer sometime.
name the place and time and i will bee there.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Captain Taco
tacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

What if the joggers looked like her ^
Then there would be so many more wrecks lol
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Captain Taco

DAMN i respond too slow lol