Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

What was the most eye-opening or biggest surprise when you joined LE

Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
What was the most eye-opening or biggest surprise when you joined LE

As the title states, what was the most surprising or eye-opening thing you can think of when you took a career in law enforcement. After having just received my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and completed an internship with a department, I'd be interested to hear what you all have to say. The internship was a great experience and really solidified my decision to join law enforcement, although many of the guys would jokingly state, "Be a firefighter instead, everyone thinks they are heroes" lol.

With that said it is always interesting to hear from those who are in the field and their experiences
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Everybody lies.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Everybody lies.
amen.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Jay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay9722 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay9722's Tacoma Gallery
You will be tested in so many ways; morally, ethically, physically. You will have moments where you will question your faith, your ability, and your resolve. There will be times you feel like things can't get any worse, and then they get worse! But it always gets better...and you are a better cop because of it. Never lie and always watch out for your brothers, ALWAYS, because they are the ones that will be there when you need them the most. Be wary of those who ask for your trust instead of earning it. And the answer to the OPs post...many people don't realize these things until its too late.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9722 View Post
You will be tested in so many ways; morally, ethically, physically. You will have moments where you will question your faith, your ability, and your resolve. There will be times you feel like things can't get any worse, and then they get worse! But it always gets better...and you are a better cop because of it. Never lie and always watch out for your brothers, ALWAYS, because they are the ones that will be there when you need them the most. Be wary of those who ask for your trust instead of earning it. And the answer to the OPs post...many people don't realize these things until its too late.
Spot on. In a field where all are looked at as "brothers" or "sisters" in arms...There is no shortage of weasels, buddy fuckers, and your all around slime balls. ALWAYS watch your 6.

Biggest surprise to me was what a joke the revolving door of justice is.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
The ones who made it through the process that shouldn't have.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco47001 View Post
Spot on. In a field where all are looked at as "brothers" or "sisters" in arms...There is no shortage of weasels, buddy fuckers, and your all around slime balls. ALWAYS watch your 6.

Biggest surprise to me was what a joke the revolving door of justice is.
Oh man is this true. One of my biggest surprises is how many of your "brothers" really are the farthest thing from it. Backstabbers are everywhere. Learned this one the hard way.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
khakiforever is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
khakiforever's Tacoma Gallery
For me it was the evil that people are capable of committing towards each other. Then it was the endless paperwork to describe it.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1980 View Post
Oh man is this true. One of my biggest surprises is how many of your "brothers" really are the farthest thing from it. Backstabbers are everywhere. Learned this one the hard way.
this
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
alot of people arent happy.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Maybe we just have better morale, or something because I think the majority of officers in my dept are happy

We have brass that 100% backs us up if we are in the right, and rewards those who work hard...we are a very proactive community policing oriented department and set standards for other departments within the state, and often nation

We've been featured on trutv, a&e and various other "reality" shows/channels

we were one of the first departments in the country to institute active shooter training for ALL officers and not just SRT/SWAT

And really, how can I be unhappy with a dodge challenger, and a schedule that allows me to go in when I want?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
and don't get involved with all the politics and brass and all that high school bullcrap. I go in do my job (which I love) and go home with the same amount of holes in me than when I left the house. I work hard and don't give a crap bout the rest of the B.S. If I stopped to think about what goes on it would probably affect the way I work, so I don't give a crap. I just work hard and play harder
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
and don't get involved with all the politics and brass and all that high school bullcrap. I go in don my job (which I love) and go home with the same amount of holes in me than when I left the house. I work hard and don't give a crap bout the rest of the B.S. If I stopped to think about what goes on it would probably affect the way I work, so I don't give a crap. I just work hard and play harder
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
For me it was how nasty people's cars and houses could be. When you have HUNDREDS of roaches- bugs- in your car with you as your driving, how can you not notice? When I move things in the back seat and find maggots... really?
Some people live worse than animals.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
For me it was how nasty people's cars and houses could be. When you have HUNDREDS of roaches- bugs- in your car with you as your driving, how can you not notice? When I move things in the back seat and find maggots... really?
right?? ugh crackheads
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
Ghoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to beholdGhoster is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Retired
Ghoster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
I am still trying to block out some of those memories. I used to think I was messy. Now I know that I am just a little disorganized.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Glockin
GasTiresOil has a spectacular aura aboutGasTiresOil has a spectacular aura about
Law Enforcement:
GasTiresOil's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Everyone is always just about to do something:

"Officer, it's funny you pulled me over and my car has been unregistered for two years, I was just on my way to the DMV".

"Officer, I'm really busy and don't have time to clean my house or change my infants diapers, or feed my children, or bathe them. I was just about to do that when you came here with DCF.

"Officer, I was just about to call you guys when I realized I had this crack cocaine in my pants pocket. The pants are not mine".

"Officer, I was just about to bring back all this copper pipe that I found".

I never realized coincidence was so common before LE, or people wore pants that never belong to them...
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
"Officer, I was just about to call you guys when I realized I had this crack cocaine in my pants pocket. The pants are not mine".

Saw this one on an episode of cops back in the day. Cop pulls a big bag of weed out of a guys pocket and they guy says "these aren't my pants". Still makes me laugh.