Notices

Taser question for fellow LEO's.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Taser question for fellow LEO's.

I think almost all agencies now carry these things. I work for the Colorado Department of Corrections and am Taser qualified but am weighing my options of possibly doing the same line of work in another State either doing regular P.D. work or C.O work. At our department, to be qualified, we only had to dry stun ourselves 3 times and then taking the shot was optional. I chose not only no but heck no! I am curious though what your different departments require to be Taser certified and if it was optional, if you took the shot or if you had to take the shot, share your experience.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Our department is still rolling them out slowly to different districts on a trial basis. My district doesn't have them yet. From what I understand, though, our routine is they clip the probes to your back in order to simulate being hit with the darts before they shock you.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
I took the full 5 second tase, and got shot with the prongs too. It hurts like hell, feels like you're being jackhammered into the ground. But it only lasts for 5 seconds. 14 out of 15 people in my class agreed to be tased. One guy refused. This was like 3 years ago and he still gets his balls busted for not doing it. Most agencies that I know of simply tape the wires to your body instead of shooting you with a cartridge. When I went through the class they wanted everybody to get the "full" experience.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I rode the full 5 after being hit with the probes when we were issued the Taser x26

We are slowly switching to the Karbon MPID
http://www.karbonarms.com/content/mpid

We have to drive stun ourselves once with it
Old 02-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
SCConstable is on a distinguished road

SCConstable's Tacoma Gallery
We had the option. Most took the ride so we could articulate in court why the use of force was escalated to the next level in the event the Taser was taken and attempted to be used on us. Most folks had the leads taped to their back for cost containment reasons. The prong is not the problem... the lightning is.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Peace Officer currently, US Army "Retired" as well
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
We are given the option. I chose the full ride....why not. I can articulate in court 'based on my training and experience" I had one barb hit me center mass in the back, the other hit low on my belt. The barb in my back...no pain after the fact. The barb in my belt...left a contact burn as it still will arc...which caused a burn. Nothing to run to the Dr. about but nonetheless was there. All honesty, I'm glad I did it...it's not that bad....really.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
n our training, I have been hot with Fox 5.3 countless number of times, tear gas and other good stuff but I hate electricity. I have been hit with it enough in construction and there is no way I will take the ride. I could deal with the 3 dry stuns because as soon as you activate it, your instinct is to pull away from you and you do but also seeing the few get shot in my class that did, all said the same thing. Never again. That only confirmed even more to me that I don't care if others think I'm a wuss or not.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
a buddy in corrections in LA said his qualify was 3 or 5 second ride (they got to choose) and they shot the probes in not taped.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1980 View Post
I took the full 5 second tase, and got shot with the prongs too. It hurts like hell, feels like you're being jackhammered into the ground. But it only lasts for 5 seconds. 14 out of 15 people in my class agreed to be tased. One guy refused. This was like 3 years ago and he still gets his balls busted for not doing it. Most agencies that I know of simply tape the wires to your body instead of shooting you with a cartridge. When I went through the class they wanted everybody to get the "full" experience.
This ^ you will be absolutely helpless for several seconds. The darts are like fish hooks and most don't use them on the LEO's
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think the taser hurt bad at all...OC on the other can kiss my ass

We were given the option with the x26 - drive stun, probes, or leads

The new Karbon we only get 1 option and that's to drive stun yourself...that sucker is BAD! The x26 will not conduct thru my vest but the Karbon certainly will
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
In our dept. you have to be qualified with the Taser, or you are out of uniform. If you're coming from somewhere else, you need a video of your certification. That's with us, other depts maybe differant.

I took the full 5, probes and all. It's not that bad. Yes, it hurts, but when it shuts off your done. Unlike OC which lasts for almost an hr, plus got me a second time in the shower.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Glocking Tall
TS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTS1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police Officer
TS1980's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the spray is definitely worse. I dont even carry that stuff I hate it so much. The day I was issued a Taser the spray came off my belt for good.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
The OC doesn't effect me as bad but then again, I am exposed to it almost daily so that may be the reason why. With the taser, I was okay being dry stunned with it but if I have to switch departments I will only go to one where my credentials will transfer over or you don't have to be shot with it or have the probes taped to you. I don't know if it is mental or something else but every time I get hit with electricity, my heart does all of the weird palpitations afterwards and it freaks me out plus I hate getting hit with electricity. I have a huge mangina when it comes to that stuff.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
The first department I worked for required us to be either taped or the full ride in order to carry it...don't take the ride then you don't carry the tool. Over a year later I got an offer from another department and went to work for them and had to be shot all over again because my new department required it to be video taped....didn't matter that I had a certificate saying I had already been certified. The new department had me lie down on a gym mat with my arms underneath me and look up at the camera and say my name and department then the instructor stood over me and shot me with it. We did not have a choice but to take the full ride here. The first time I chose to be shot as well.

It hurts like a mf-er but its over in 5 seconds. It feels like the longest 5 seconds of your life! Like another member said...pepper spray can kiss my a**...that crap is brutal. If I had to do that over again I would tell them they could keep it.

Best of luck on your decision...looks like every agency is different...but it is only five seconds either way.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
evl21 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: B
evl21's Tacoma Gallery
I would take 5 seconds over this shit any day of the week and twice on Sundays !!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I rode the full 5 after being hit with the probes when we were issued the Taser x26
This but it was optional, I took the ride.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Ugh, a buddy of mine after he got sprayed, poured water all over his face and it ran down to his balls, looked horrible
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
evl21 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: B
evl21's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it always comes back to bite you in the shower later on!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Ugh, a buddy of mine after he got sprayed, poured water all over his face and it ran down to his balls, looked horrible
ouch, my uncle said that when he went through the academy one of the instructors told them not to take the water when they offer it, he said let it dry, then when you get home get a bunch of soap and slather that on before you shower and the soap helps neutralize the effects of the spray.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I laid down flat on my back after we were allowed to rinse, luckily someone was allowed to drowned us with water afterwards, Idk how it is with other agencies.