Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Backup Weapon

Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Backup Weapon

Anyone else carry some type of backup firearm on duty? My department's policy is that it can be anything as long as it is concealed and it can't be a 9mm. I've always felt it would be a good idea to have a second, but I never really got around to it. Now, after the Dorner crap and the overall increase in officers being killed in the line of duty, I figured the additional firepower is worthwhile. In addition to my service sidearm, I will be carrying a compact 1911 for some close combat whoopass.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a Ruger LCP usually nowadays in a cargo pocket non dominant side

I was planning a under shirt style carry for my G27 but then got put on a specialized unit and we wear polo shirts making it useless to keep a gun on my vest
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a Keltec P3AT .380 in an ankle holster on my non dominant side. I have a gun on each side and a knife on each side.

I'm getting my ankle holster modifed this week. I was doing some ground fighting at our inservice training and it came off. It's a Galco holster with five inches of velcro that keeps it on the ankle. I've never had a problem with it and it feels very secure, but I'm going to add a zipper to it.

Try a few diff ways of carring it and see what works for you. I had mu b.u.g attached to my vest before and it was ok. But twice when I tackled people somehow the magazine ejected. Somehow the mag eject button would either hit my vest or something.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm thinking a pocket protector style holster in my support side leg tac pocket. I was also considering an ankle holster, but a 1911, even a compact, might be a little big for that location.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
SCConstable is on a distinguished road

SCConstable's Tacoma Gallery
J-frame .38 in non dominant pocket. Pants or coat, depending on the weather. The wheel gun fits my hand well, and will always go boom if the SHTF. There are always valid opinions on capacity, using same mags/caliber as the duty weapon, etc., but for me it is not a second weapon, it's a life saving weapon.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
willee51 is on a distinguished road

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Well ....

.... backup must be APPROVED by the Sheriff
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
I carried a Glock-27 in a BUG pouch (http://bugpocket.com) and a Cold Steel push-knife were I could get at it with my left hand.

Ray
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious as to why does it have to be concealed and why can't it be 9mm?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I carried a Glock-27 in a BUG pouch (http://bugpocket.com) and a Cold Steel push-knife were I could get at it with my left hand.

Ray
i also keep a KaBar TDI push knife on my inner belt behind the gear but where I can grab it

http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/76
Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Weapon Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
I'm curious as to why does it have to be concealed and why can't it be 9mm?
Concealed because our department doesn't want us looking like an Iowa class with guns sticking out from everywhere. Not 9mm because our service sidearm is a .40 and the armorers are worried about 9mm and .40 accidentally getting mixed in the same magazine and causing a catastrophic failure of the M&P if fired.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Good reasoning. Thanks