Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Looking into Law Enforcement

Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Looking into Law Enforcement

So just like the title states I am looking into law enforcement. I currently live in PA although I have plans to move to GA in the future. I was just wondering if you guys could give me any information that would be helpful. I have looked into my state trooper application process and I know I can pass the physical part. I was wondering how the other tests were, Do I need to go to the academy? Basically the basics. Any information on who I should talk to to get my foot in the door at least?

I was also wondering how hard it would be to transfer states? Would it be smarter to wait till I move or try to get a job here and then work on transferring? Thanks for any information you guys can give me.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck! Yes to the academy, ive been applying for almost a year now
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Good luck! Yes to the academy, ive been applying for almost a year now
Thank you, and yeah I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I'll be going down to the local state police tomorrow and attempt to ask questions. and then try to find out how to apply for the academy and what not
Old 03-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
Wait till you move, be loyal to the department that hires and trains you. I know a lot of people contemplating a LE career including myself....times are tough and very competitive no matter where you go.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Thank you, and yeah I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I'll be going down to the local state police tomorrow and attempt to ask questions. and then try to find out how to apply for the academy and what not
Competition here in Phoenix is insane! Yeah talking to them is good and so is going for ride alongs, hell see if a LEO TW member is in your area and go with one of them maybe?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on being loyal

I'd double check to see if certification from PA will transfer to GA too

Each dept is gonna be different, with tests etc...my particular dept doesn't do any written test pre employment, however you do have to qualify with a Glock pistol and pass a PT test before moving into the interview phase

I'd personally pick a few depts, apply and make sure you impress them by either smoking written tests, being confident in oral interviews, or killing any PT tests
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Dude where are going in Ga. ya going. Georgia highway patrol are bad asses dude. They chase everything and they get some bad ass whips dude. Ga. is a great place to be a cop. Southern Ga. is a great area.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery
You will have ot go thru an academy where ever you wind up. Some academies, generally those that produce municipal and county level police/sheriff officers, have an alternate route process. that is basically where you put yourself thru the academy incurring all costs. You come out certified, but with no job. That might make it easier as you apply to different departments, as they won't have to pay the costs involved in sending you to school for 6 moths, while on the payroll. Buts its no guarantee. Depending on where you are looking, some departments are civil service, like mine, where its basically all done by test scores and backgrounds. Thats to keep the process fair. I don't know how its done in the south. I also know that here in NJ, there isn't a department in the state that will take an out of state certification to transfer in. Any other questions, shoot me a PM. Good Luck! iTs a great career.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
tacoguy1 is on a distinguished road

Name: SEAN
tacoguy1's Tacoma Gallery
https://www.usajobs.gov/JobSearch/Se...arch=Search%21

This is a good start to work for the goverment

if you have any questions let me know
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
X2 on being loyal

I'd double check to see if certification from PA will transfer to GA too

Each dept is gonna be different, with tests etc...my particular dept doesn't do any written test pre employment, however you do have to qualify with a Glock pistol and pass a PT test before moving into the interview phase

I'd personally pick a few depts, apply and make sure you impress them by either smoking written tests, being confident in oral interviews, or killing any PT tests
Ahh gotcha. I'm working on the PT and ill be looking into a study guide. As far as shooting goes ill have to find an instructor if I can. I know how to shoot and I'm decent at it but you can always get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Dude where are going in Ga. ya going. Georgia highway patrol are bad asses dude. They chase everything and they get some bad ass whips dude. Ga. is a great place to be a cop. Southern Ga. is a great area.
I was looking into Locust Grove. Its about an hour outside of Atlanta but as of right now I'm still exploring my options
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyTheLip View Post
You will have ot go thru an academy where ever you wind up. Some academies, generally those that produce municipal and county level police/sheriff officers, have an alternate route process. that is basically where you put yourself thru the academy incurring all costs. You come out certified, but with no job. That might make it easier as you apply to different departments, as they won't have to pay the costs involved in sending you to school for 6 moths, while on the payroll. Buts its no guarantee. Depending on where you are looking, some departments are civil service, like mine, where its basically all done by test scores and backgrounds. Thats to keep the process fair. I don't know how its done in the south. I also know that here in NJ, there isn't a department in the state that will take an out of state certification to transfer in. Any other questions, shoot me a PM. Good Luck! iTs a great career.
Thank you very much for the information!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
When you come to ga take the test in tifton if possible, heard they have highest rates of passimg.and best facilities. Start off as a city cop, work to county and work your way up. Start in a crown vic end up in a hemi charger. Im joining the academy in the summer time any questioms ask away
Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Most depts. have information online as for what are the requirements to apply. See what those are for where you are thinking about going. Make sure you meet everything before you stick your head in the door. Oral boards are very important. Get some practice. If you don't have collage, start on that.
Good luck, awsome career.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #13

Well I went in today hoping to maybe talk to someone. Was handed 2 pamphlets and was told to look online. When I mentioned that I had read the stuff online she pretty much just told me to read the pamphlets and said good bye..
Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Thirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shedThirteen20WRX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2005-2009, separated as O-3 after 4 years at Tinker AFB
Name: Joe
Thirteen20WRX's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't worry so much about training yourself to shoot. Whatever academy you go through will train you to their standards and you don't want to pick up bad habits. A lot of guys hired from departments who use the Weaver stance had issues in the Academy I went through (we shoot squared off). Anyway man good luck! A bad day on this job is better than the best day in an office IMO.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #15

So I know this thread is about a year old but I'm still looking into this. I finish my degree in finance in December and am considering joining the Houston Police Dept after. I know the physical requirements but can anyone give me some insight on what to study for the written test or what I should know?

Much appreciated
Old 09-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
The written test for my academy was basic high school stuff, every jurisdiction is different though. Check with the agencies you are interested in, some might even have study guides. Pretty much the written test before the academy is to weed out the full blown retards, and people who might not be 100% interested.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #17
JPM OEF x3 MP is on a distinguished road

Army: MP Officer
JPM OEF x3 MP's Tacoma Gallery
Different strokes

Just remember that info posted here is area based. Doing the job in AZ for almost 20. Big city provides lots of opportunity and is hard to get. County is a joke. State really just monitors the highways. Some really great guys in all of those departments though!

Test, get hired and love it!