Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

looking into becoming a fish and game officer

Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
looking into becoming a fish and game officer

i would like to become a fish and game officer in MISS., is there a certian degree to get?
i think i want to get my mechanics degree (associates) before i try to get my CJ or other type of degree.

any tips?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Get a degree in something. In the last few years with the economy down, everybody wants to be a cop. Many depts. won't hire you without a degree anymore. You have to make yourself look better then the next man- or woman. Meet some leo's in the area you want to work, a good word from the inside helps. Also you will more than likely have an oral board. Get some practice, I know good guy's that this just kills their score.
Keep at it, many people don't get in their first try.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
Get a degree in something.
i'm not sure what to get a degree in, i'm thinking either CJ or some type of biology
In the last few years with the economy down, everybody wants to be a cop. Many depts. won't hire you without a degree anymore. i'm hoping to get my mechanics degree so i can try to get a job while going to college just so i definitely have a job
You have to make yourself look better then the next man- or woman. Meet some leo's in the area you want to work, a good word from the inside helps.
i can see if i could work with my uncle, he's a LEO about half hour from where were trying to move
Also you will more than likely have an oral board. Get some practice, I know good guy's that this just kills their score.
oral board? like giving your resume orally?
Keep at it, many people don't get in their first try.
definitely not gonna give up if it's something i want to do..

thanks for the advice
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
wildlife biology is a must in just ike all states along with other stuff. I know in TN you MUST HAVE 4 years of school. i think some states are up to 7 years.

also plain on working all summer holidays and very very long days and nights. Losing time with family and everything. you may miss birthdays, weddings, ext. dad was an officer for 35 years and my hole life i know how it is for the family.

edit: I would not take CJ! I donít think it will help much if any at all in that kinda job.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wildlife biology is a must in just ike all states along with other stuff. I know in TN you MUST HAVE 4 years of school. i think some states are up to 7 years.

also plain on working all summer holidays and very very long days and nights. Losing time with family and everything. you may miss birthdays, weddings, ext. dad was an officer for 35 years and my hole life i know how it is for the family.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post

i'll give them a call and see what they require, that would suck if it was 7 years of school.

sounds tough, but the work looks like fun.

the MDWFP website says no job openings, but i can do a internship.
http://www.mdwfp.com/human-resources...ternships.aspx
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I know that in my area, a bio degree really helps getting hired for FWC- Fl's fish and game.

An oral board will ask you many different questions. Why do you want to be a fish and game officer, tell me a situation where you made a difficult decision, what do you have to offer the agency, what experience do you have, etc.

Get with your uncle and go from there. You're still young, in our area they have a program called explorers. It lets kids still in highschool do ride alongs and get exposed to L.E. See if your area has something like that.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, thanks for the info
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
TacomaBlues is on a distinguished road
TacomaBlues's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently in forestry and I'm around plenty of people who want to work in fish and wildlife. Like others have said, get a four year BS wildlife degree. CJ won't help you that much. All fish and wildlife officers I have talked to in WV, MD, and VA have all gotten fish and wildlife degrees.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBlues View Post
I'm currently in forestry and I'm around plenty of people who want to work in fish and wildlife. Like others have said, get a four year BS wildlife degree. CJ won't help you that much. All fish and wildlife officers I have talked to in WV, MD, and VA have all gotten fish and wildlife degrees.
thanks for the info.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
That is what I went to school for. NDOW is extremely difficult to get into. I did a bunch of volunteer work, and was told it was still nowhere near enough to be known well enough to get a job. Even with a degree. I gave up on that. I still think it would be a cool job, but it would be a serious pay cut... And I don't hate the job I have now.
If its something you want to do, go for it.
I cannot stress this enough though, volunteer as much as you possibly can.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
That is what I went to school for. NDOW is extremely difficult to get into. I did a bunch of volunteer work, and was told it was still nowhere near enough to be known well enough to get a job. Even with a degree. I gave up on that. I still think it would be a cool job, but it would be a serious pay cut... And I don't hate the job I have now.
If its something you want to do, go for it.
I cannot stress this enough though, volunteer as much as you possibly can.
interesting, it sounds like i might need to take 1 less class of college and use that time to volunteer.
what type of work do the volunteers do?
thanks for the info.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
interesting, it sounds like i might need to take 1 less class of college and use that time to volunteer.
what type of work do the volunteers do?
thanks for the info.
It was usually weekend stuff. Help install guzzlers, plant seed in burn areas, count certain birds, help tag and relocate big horn sheep. Its mostly grunt work, but not bad. I would go talk to a biologist and tell them your plan. Tell them you want to volunteer. They will get your email address and anytime they have something come up, they'll email you.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It was usually weekend stuff. Help install guzzlers, plant seed in burn areas, count certain birds, help tag and relocate big horn sheep. Its mostly grunt work, but not bad. I would go talk to a biologist and tell them your plan. Tell them you want to volunteer. They will get your email address and anytime they have something come up, they'll email you.
Cool, does that help you get into the LE side?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #15

ya. volontering is good i did some. mostly like free fishing day. TN has one day a year were anyone and everyone can fish you don’t have to have a license on that day only. TWRA held little events around at some county parks that are along the lake or river. and had some company(was wal mart for a few years) donate fishing rods and talkie, and cook food. i helped hand stuff out, unhook fish and untangle lines.

what will help getting in the LE side is just getting to know the officers in your area or the area you want to work. if they stop and check you when hunting or fishing, tell them you want to be one and start with small talk. ask for some tips on being one.

I see the ones around here quite a bit when fishing and 4 wheeling at one of the Wildlife management areas. on the WMA they set up and check for riding permits and stuff, i’ll usually stop and talk and get something out of our cooler and rehydrate and BS for a few.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Cool, does that help you get into the LE side?
Definitely. Just getting your foot in the door and your name known throughout the department is the biggest thing. I said biologist just because the ndow place where I grew up wouldn't let people go on ride alongs with the warden, but you could go with the biologist. Everyone else that puts in for an opening is very likely to have the same qualifications a you. When they see your name and say "oh yeah, he's volunteered a bunch, he's a good worker".
Old 03-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Definitely. Just getting your foot in the door and your name known throughout the department is the biggest thing. I said biologist just because the ndow place where I grew up wouldn't let people go on ride alongs with the warden, but you could go with the biologist. Everyone else that puts in for an opening is very likely to have the same qualifications a you. When they see your name and say "oh yeah, he's volunteered a bunch, he's a good worker".
Think this is true here as well you can not do ride along with the LE officers. im not sure about the biologist tho.