Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Should he be fired or not?

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #21
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Another reason I dont like politicians. I bet if he would have written him the ticket for 87 he would have complained about that and how he was treated wrong for being a lawmaker!! Troopers have the right to give out warnings so he def should not have lost his job.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
Another reason I dont like politicians. I bet if he would have written him the ticket for 87 he would have complained about that and how he was treated wrong for being a lawmaker!! Troopers have the right to give out warnings so he def should not have lost his job.
+2 full agreement. This would have been the flip side of the officer following written policy and being a hardass and giving the politician the ticket for speeding and one for no proof of insurance that he deserved. He woulda been crying a different tune about it being unfair.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
+2 full agreement. This would have been the flip side of the officer following written policy and being a hardass and giving the politician the ticket for speeding and one for no proof of insurance that he deserved. He woulda been crying a different tune about it being unfair.
Exactly.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
we should fire that politician.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
dan33900 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
dan33900's Tacoma Gallery
no!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #26
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
No. The article stated he did the same thing for another driver and he never mentioned that he was giving the politician a break just because he was a lawmaker. Police officers have a pretty wide amount of discretion in dealing with tickets/crimes. Firing the Trooper seems a little extreme.

Matt

Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Choosing to cite or warn is at the discretion of the officer. Even if it was deemed preferential treatment, dismissal is too severe; short suspension, perhaps? Administrative duty? Of course, that's based on the officer having a good record prior to this incident.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
No he should not be fired. Think about it if it was you he gave a break to you would thank your lucky stars. I have gotten breaks we all do.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
In 30 years of driving, I have received 2 speeding tickets. I have been stopped for speeding maybe 8 - 10 times. If you are not a repeat offender with a lot of tickets and act respectful, I have to think that you have a really good chance of getting off with just a warning.

I can understand the lawmaker wanting to make sure that there was not even the appearance of preferential treatment because of his position, but termination is extreme in this case. If he were a real man, he'd insist that he get ticketed and pay the fine. But, he's a lawyer, probably not even human.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Wow... what an asshat (the state rep, not the cop). I'm pretty damn happy if I only get off with a warning and feel it should be at the officer's discretion. I firmly believe that LEOs need to have some measure of leeway to use their own judgement on the job. The state police ought to park an officer on the state rep's route to work and give him a ticket every day.
+1 to you sir.

A resounding NO to the above stated question. Although I am mandated to enforce laws....traffic citations are the area in which I am granted by the supreme court to utilize my own discretion as to "letter of the law, or spirit of the law" This state rep is an asshat and needs a few citations that he cleaarly deserves....

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #31
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. This trooper was in a lose/lose situation. I hope he files some sort of lawsuit, this is unfair in my opinion.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #32
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
no, he shouldn't be fired, I personally have friends that have been pulled over for similar speeds and gotten warnings. I don't think there is anything wrong with him giving the guy a break, I've had an officer give me a warning before as well.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
So the one who won the popularity contest, the elected official and LAW MAKER, doesn't need to follow the rules but, the police officer, a LAW ENFORCEMENT person, gets terminated.

Yes, that's exactly how our corrupt leaders should act isn't it???

To that I say, do not let these POS bastards regulate our ability to defend ourselves againts THEM.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #34
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
I do sympathize with the officer however he deviated from following policy. The ability to use discretion is certainly a good thing however such discretion also leads to abuse of power and police brutality that's prevalent in current society.
What cho talking about Willis? What "deviation from policy" are you taking about? There is NO policy over who gets written a ticket over who does not. There for he violated no policy.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth about discretion. It's good, but... As LEO we do our best to use discretion based on the info we have at the time. I'd like to think we get it "right" most of the time, but sometimes we don't. We are human. Some of the calls we go on there is no getting it "right". It's a loose - loose for all.

He was fired for "conduct unbecoming". The "catch all" of G.O. violations, also the most vague. He will win in court, as FHP will not be able to prove his conduct was "unbecoming".

FHP has a history of treating it's people like crap. That's why most put in a few years and jump ship to a different L.E. agency. On my shift alone I there are 4 former troopers-all of them are great guys that love to work.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
In California, Legislators are exempt from traffic laws while enroute to and from a legislative session. If we stopped one, we were directed to notify our supervisor who then kicked the information "up stairs" where I'm sure that something was done with it. As Officers, we had the discretion to issue citations or verbal warnings as we wished.

This FL Legislator is an idiot. He's objecting to receiving a warning and concerned that the Officer is giving warning to other drivers? "I am concerned that as Trooper Swindle acted in such fashion to me, that he would do so to any law-abiding citizen of our state."

The Officer deserves his job back with full pay and an apology from McBurney.

Ray

Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #36
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
NO!!!!! what if it was you-Thank you for the warning.
No bribe--just the ticket for INS.
WTF is the big deal.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #37
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't it say in the article that he called a superior and then let him off with a warning? Did the superior get fired too.
I too have gotten "preferential" treatment because wifey is a d.a. in our county...also for my "support" stickers on past vehicles.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
No. As a person who was giving a warning for going 15 over because I stopped right away and was polite, I feel it should be the cops choice who to give a ticket to. If someone is an asshat they deserve the ticket. If someone is polite I feel it is the officers resposonsibility to decide how to handle the situation, whether he or she decide to give a ticket, a lesser ticket, or a warning.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #40
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
what if the next person gets stopped by same cop same offense etc....and...gets a ticket.

Closed Thread