Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

do citizens have the right to film police ?

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Funny thing about laws, it is all about how it is interpreted by lawyers, judges, and a jury. ---Very true.

The officer would have to prove that I INTENDED to obstruct his investigation. Not going to happen. Intent is one of the most difficult actions to prove. when an act is is session. I would say that I would have a 99% probability of winning if I had a good lawyer, and I still think a better than 75% chance of winning when I made sure it went to trial and I had peers who truly love their 4th amendment rights, which most citizens do.---Intent is difficult to prove. Depends on the officers ability to articulate the circumstances of the situation. Being told that you are hindering the investigation numerous times and asked to stop on tape does help show intent. At least it did with my case and the person pled out.

Actually now that I think about it, I would say 100% chance of winning period, since the federal appeals court upheld the case of the guy above! I would simply cite that case when I went to court, and then proceeded to sue like he did. lol-----The Glik case was a no brainer. He was just taping them perform their duties. He tapped what everyone else was seeing. If an officer or detective have someone pulled off to the side to conduct an interview and was asked to stop, it might go different. It's not always possible to move a victim/suspect to a "private" building or such do to a variety of circumstances. There many different circumstances/ scenarios that might affect a ruling one way or the other.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
i wish i filmed the cops who let a guy hit me then bashed me on the head with knee strikes when i wouldnt agree to be handcuffed. Im sorry to any officers who actually do their jobs and arnt corrupt but my experience with the honolulu police department, they are some of the worst people here, liars, law breakers, drug users/sellers, and partaking in human trafficking like juicy bars, also they have ties in a lot of underground bullshit going on plus they will protect guys who are criminals that are friends and family. Also many accounts from my own girlfriend and other women of blatant sexual harrassmant and nasty physical taunting. But it always comes down to your word against theirs. My next encounter with police will be filmed. This is why i say Screw HPD
I grew up in Hawaii and lived on Oahu for 6 years.

Its amazing to me that the HPD has never been the subject of a federal investigation due to their corruption and civil rights abuses.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez808 View Post
i wish i filmed the cops who let a guy hit me then bashed me on the head with knee strikes when i wouldnt agree to be handcuffed. Im sorry to any officers who actually do their jobs and arnt corrupt but my experience with the honolulu police department, they are some of the worst people here, liars, law breakers, drug users/sellers, and partaking in human trafficking like juicy bars, also they have ties in a lot of underground bullshit going on plus they will protect guys who are criminals that are friends and family. Also many accounts from my own girlfriend and other women of blatant sexual harrassmant and nasty physical taunting. But it always comes down to your word against theirs. My next encounter with police will be filmed. This is why i say Screw HPD
What's a juicy bar?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #44
Large Member
jmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmarquez808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CIVILIAN/ E-5
Name: Jess
jmarquez808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali climber View Post
I grew up in Hawaii and lived on Oahu for 6 years.
yah its sad, many cops here hold themselves above the law. I had a police report bounce around to other departments and eventually just dissapear becuase it involved a place i know they had roots in and involved them assaulting me. Wish they would do an undercover investigation expecially here on oahu, but then i guess we would have a police force of 5 men when theyre done. lol

Its amazing to me that the HPD has never been the subject of a federal investigation due to their corruption and civil rights abuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
What's a juicy bar?
juicy bars are those weird bars where you buy girls drinks that are like 20 bucks and if you pay enough they have sex with you or other things. Places are all well known here but police never do anything about them, because they go in there after work. lol yup its sad. They would rather arrest someone like me defending themself in a fight or write speeding tickets to feed money to the state then deal with drugs and prostitution. Hard to get rid of somthing that you partake in i guess.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #45
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Thanks. The copy of the same statute I had posted, but with more detailed information. Now we are getting somewhere. I would however argue that just because I was sitting there recording what was going on does not constitute proof that I was going to "Intentionally disclose, or endeavor to disclose" what I was recording. Perhaps I was going to record it for my own viewing pleasure in the future, then erase it? Funny thing about laws, it is all about how it is interpreted by lawyers, judges, and a jury. I bet you I could find me a good lawyer like the guy above in my previous post and win a case here, as long as I never disclosed the video, which if I were arrested and the recording confiscated I would not have been able to do.

The section in (e) numbered as 934.09 also states at the end "knows or has reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of such a communication in connection with a criminal investigation, has obtained or received the information in connection with a criminal investigation, and intends to improperly obstruct, impede, or interfere with a duly authorized criminal investigation;
shall be punished as provided in subsection (4)."

The officer would have to prove that I INTENDED to obstruct his investigation. Not going to happen. Intent is one of the most difficult actions to prove. when an act is is session. I would say that I would have a 99% probability of winning if I had a good lawyer, and I still think a better than 75% chance of winning when I made sure it went to trial and I had peers who truly love their 4th amendment rights, which most citizens do.

Actually now that I think about it, I would say 100% chance of winning period, since the federal appeals court upheld the case of the guy above! I would simply cite that case when I went to court, and then proceeded to sue like he did. lol.

LMMFAO! You street lawyers are a hoot. NO ONE... let me repeat this... NO ONE has a 100% chance of winning in court. Go into a trial thinking such stupidity and you will get owned by the prosecution. Once you are told that you are interfering, you have intent. Intent is EASY to prove by your continued actions. If a cop tells you that your actions are interfering and you continue, you will be arrested and ther intent is proven because you were informed. Oh and you cant sue the police for that arrest even if you win the case, An arrest made in good faith gives all cops immunity from civil litigation. You can try to sue the department but in many states like Florida you are highly unlikely to win.

I've got a suggestion. Instead of setting out to try to act like an asshole to cops, realize they are the only thing between you and your spouse and children being ass raped by bad people and try obeying the god damned law so you wont have issues with them.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #46
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post

I've got a suggestion. Instead of setting out to try to act like an asshole to cops, realize they are the only thing between you and your spouse and children being ass raped by bad people and try obeying the god damned law so you wont have issues with them.

Thats not really true.

Police fail to prevent alot of crimes.

Citizens are often very capable and effective at preventing crimes.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #47
Quote:
Thats not really true.

Police fail to prevent alot of crimes.

Citizens are often very capable and effective at preventing crimes.

Riiight.

Any idea's how many unlocked vehicle burglaries I work? "I always leave my purse in the car" , " I heard a noise outside but I'm too scared to look out the window to see what it was", Clearly very capable and effective at preventing crimes by leaving their cars unlocked...

Ask George Zimmerman how effective he was at preventing crime.

As soon as you citizens let us Police use your crystal ball to know when and where the crime will take place, we will gladly be there. Sorry we can't sit on each and every person 24/7 just waiting for them to break the law.---plus who would go for that anyway?

The communities do help us a great deal, by giving us information. Then with our training and resources we can try to address the problem.

I've had a civilian rider everyday this past weekend. All of them said the same thing. "I had no idea you guys do so much".

Do a ride along a few times, see how you feel then.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #48
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Orlando no longer lets the peeps ride along

Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #49
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaks View Post
It *should* be a universal right as an American.
Yes but it has to work both ways.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
That stinks. Our dept. lets you after you have take our C.L.E.A class. Civilian law enforcement academy or if your in an academy for leo. I wish more places let people do a ride along. I think it would build a stronger relationship with the community we serve. I have yet to have a person leave my car and say, yep, you guys should do more.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #51
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #52
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Reported 4 harassment & stalking

Old 05-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #53
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post

Riiight.

Any idea's how many unlocked vehicle burglaries I work? "I always leave my purse in the car" , " I heard a noise outside but I'm too scared to look out the window to see what it was", Clearly very capable and effective at preventing crimes by leaving their cars unlocked...

Ask George Zimmerman how effective he was at preventing crime.

As soon as you citizens let us Police use your crystal ball to know when and where the crime will take place, we will gladly be there. Sorry we can't sit on each and every person 24/7 just waiting for them to break the law.---plus who would go for that anyway?

The communities do help us a great deal, by giving us information. Then with our training and resources we can try to address the problem.

I've had a civilian rider everyday this past weekend. All of them said the same thing. "I had no idea you guys do so much".

Do a ride along a few times, see how you feel then.
I'm not saying police arent needed. I'm not saying police dont prevent crime.

I am saying police fail to prevent alot of crime.

In addition, citizens do in fact prevent alot of crime. They probably prevent more crime than police. Citizens aid in capture and convictions as well.

Historically crime in America was very low until about the 1930's when the concept and implimentation of "professonal" and full time police became common place.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #54
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Reported 4 harassment & stalking

Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #55
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
Uhh .. I'm not a lawyer but it is absolutely legal to film police officers on duty, and in public period. They can not confiscate your film or camera at all unless you have committed a crime.

The states that have restrictions about right to privacy typically only deal with residential and commercial properties.

IE: I hire a new nanny, I can film her in my house no questions asked. With the exception of a place in which she has a right to expect privacy ... meaning a bathroom or a bedroom if she is assigned one.

Look it up. I did when I hired a new babysitter

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/21/op...ord.html?_r=3&

http://gizmodo.com/5900680/7-rules-for-recording-police
Ugh, I'm not a lawyer either and yes it may be legal to video cops doing their job but it's NOT legal to interfere with the lawful duties of a police officer.
When you stick your camera in my face while I'm trying to diffuse a situation, or take a suspect into custody...the next thing I'm gonna do is cuff and stuff you for interfering with a police officer on a traffic stop, AND obstruction of justice. Then I would wish you the best of luck on your upcoming defense in court.... I would love to articulate in front of a judge how your little toe the legal line BS distracted me enough that I or possibly someone else could have seriously been hurt or killed.... Too the contrary, If you are standing idly by, across the street out of the way...then by all means....film away... I see no issues with that. Good day to you sir. :tips hat:

Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #56
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
LMMFAO! You street lawyers are a hoot. NO ONE... let me repeat this... NO ONE has a 100% chance of winning in court. Go into a trial thinking such stupidity and you will get owned by the prosecution. Once you are told that you are interfering, you have intent. Intent is EASY to prove by your continued actions. If a cop tells you that your actions are interfering and you continue, you will be arrested and ther intent is proven because you were informed. Oh and you cant sue the police for that arrest even if you win the case, An arrest made in good faith gives all cops immunity from civil litigation. You can try to sue the department but in many states like Florida you are highly unlikely to win.

Best advice EVER!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #57
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
This thread started like this...

Is slowly turning into this...

Then ultimately will be this...

Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #58
Banned
It sounds as though there are very few police officers in this thread that support citizen oversight and free press.

It sounds as though most police here have a strong dislike for free press and an even stronger desire to arrest photographers for any reason, whether lawful or not.

Given the new court precedent that strips public officials of qualified immunity over violations of free press, I would suggest the police officers here tone down their contempt of constitutional rights and think more about how much it will cost them and their family.

This is a new era in America. Police cant bully and intimidate citizens from performing their constitutional rights.

A good article just came out about the officers in the Glik case and how they have already started their bankruptcy process.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #59
Banned
do this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bILLwOslvbs

and get this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU21y4bl71g

Old 05-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #60
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco47001 View Post
Ugh, I'm not a lawyer either and yes it may be legal to video cops doing their job but it's NOT legal to interfere with the lawful duties of a police officer.
When you stick your camera in my face while I'm trying to diffuse a situation, or take a suspect into custody...the next thing I'm gonna do is cuff and stuff you for interfering with a police officer on a traffic stop, AND obstruction of justice. Then I would wish you the best of luck on your upcoming defense in court.... I would love to articulate in front of a judge how your little toe the legal line BS distracted me enough that I or possibly someone else could have seriously been hurt or killed.... Too the contrary, If you are standing idly by, across the street out of the way...then by all means....film away... I see no issues with that. Good day to you sir. :tips hat:
Quote:
It sounds as though there are very few police officers in this thread that support citizen oversight and free press.

It sounds as though most police here have a strong dislike for free press and an even stronger desire to arrest photographers for any reason, whether lawful or not.

Given the new court precedent that strips public officials of qualified immunity over violations of free press, I would suggest the police officers here tone down their contempt of constitutional rights and think more about how much it will cost them and their family.

This is a new era in America. Police cant bully and intimidate citizens from performing their constitutional rights.

A good article just came out about the officers in the Glik case and how they have already started their bankruptcy process.
Guess you can't read......

Closed Thread