Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Thinking joining the Police after 14 years in the US Army.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
dommo is on a distinguished road
Army: Drill Sergeant
dommo's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of getting into LE after 14 years in the US Army.

Hello,

I am going to be getting out of the Army here shortly, and I have thrown around the idea of applying for the Houston PD after I get out. I was just hoping to hear some folks opinions about it. It certainly doesn't have to be my EXACT situation, regarding branch of service or Houston, etc...but for guys that have spent any decent amount of time in the Military and made the transition to LE, what are your thoughts? Would you do it again? Anything you would change or prepare for differently? Let me know what you have seen.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I did a total of 9 yrs as a Navy Seabee. Sometimes I wish I would have stayed and finished, but I didn't want to uproot my family to make that happen. I love what I do now, and for me it was an easy transition. 14yrs is a lot to walk away from. Do 6 more in the reserves and get your retirement, then what ever you get from your L.E. career is icing on the cake. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
dommo is on a distinguished road
Army: Drill Sergeant
dommo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
I did a total of 9 yrs as a Navy Seabee. Sometimes I wish I would have stayed and finished, but I didn't want to uproot my family to make that happen. I love what I do now, and for me it was an easy transition. 14yrs is a lot to walk away from. Do 6 more in the reserves and get your retirement, then what ever you get from your L.E. career is icing on the cake. Good luck.
I hear what youre saying, trust me that youre not the first to say it, lol. And in a big way, you are right. However, when it comes down to it, staying the last 6-7 years just isn't worth it to me. Hell, I will have to pay my ex-wife a fair portion of that retirement check anyways, lol. But beyond that, it's just the lack of job satisfaction...so I'm ready to try something new.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
dude you should stay in and get your retirement. like already mentioned 14 years is a lot to walk away from and start from zero. I hear what your saying though cause i used to get bored with jobs too. my add would kick in and I would move on. LE is a great cure for those with add. It's something different everyday. But dude 14 years, then start over?? you can join the P.D. anytime it will be there for you when you get out. Military is great LE training and you will use that everyday.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I transitioned from the Army into LE in '04. I decided that I'd rather be a cop at home vs. being one in the middle east.

Be prepared to have everything you do criticized as a cop. You'll never be able to make everyone happy. You'll be doing your job more for the other officers rather than for the good of the community, just like you were fighting for you battle buddies in the same fox hole and not for our corrupt federal government. Your admin, judges, lawyers and the community will praise you one day and then light you on fire and push you in front of a bus the next.

Damn, I'm a Debbie Downer today. You'll make more money, get to sleep in your own bed every night, and continue to wear a uniform. I'd imagine TX is a good place to be a cop. Less liberal, progressive, demicunts to deal with. I would have a hard time throwing in the towel at 14 years like you are, though. So close to 20!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Stay in. Be a cop in 6 years.