Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

cell phone reimbursement from department

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
cell phone reimbursement from department

So my good friend got a job with LA County Sheriffs about 5 years ago. He worked in the jails for awhile but now he is out on patrol. They told him that he would need to have a cell phone for his duties and that he could either buy one or use his existing one.

At first they told him that they would reimburse him for any usage for work related stuff. Well now a year later he says they have only paid him like 10% of the amount that he has used for work stuff.

He said they are always asking him to make calls and text and that it adds up.

Is this unique to this department ?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Unlimited talk & text plans are cheap if you don't include a data plan.
Tell him to get one, stop whining, and enjoy his 3% pension.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I would say he needs to talk to his dept. about how to submit for that reimbursement. And then he needs to track all those costs...they can be tax deductible if he doesn't get paid back.

Most places I've worked either give a phone if you are expected to take/make many work phone calls or limit the amount of work you do over your phone.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
cell phones are pretty much the norm for all urban police departments now, it would seem to me that they would be department issued...

if not, then, yes, something is amiss with the expense reports being submitted with documentation...

Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery
One other thing, if its used for work, and they aren't reimbursing him, I believe he can claim the bill on his taxes as a deduction. I do here in NJ.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyTheLip View Post
One other thing, if its used for work, and they aren't reimbursing him, I believe he can claim the bill on his taxes as a deduction. I do here in NJ.
This.

We get ours issued from the dept due to the fact that they often get subpoenaed. We just got issued I phone 5's- sounds cool, but we actually use them for work a lot; photo evidence, voice recordings, group texts for specialty units, pill recognition programs, calls, etc.

Most L.E.O's pays out of pocket for some of their gear; tools, med equipment, better gear, rifles, better boots, you name it. I don't want to think how much my stuff adds up to.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Seperate account

Have him get the cheapest cell phone available that will do what is needed, then have it billed seperately from his personal account.......save the bills and if it it not reimbursed from the Dept, claim it on his taxes.......oh, and when it is subpoened for court, he will be glad all of his personal stuff is not on it.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Both my wife and I were (are) required to be accessible 24/7. We just deduct 50% of the monthly bill as a business expense since the phone is a job requirement.

Ray

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
only our supervisors get phones. i use mine all the time with nothing from the dept. don't really care tho, gotta have the freakin thing anyway. I just got all the unlimited crap with my wifes phone. they give us like 15-20%discount for Law Enforcement, so that helps..no biggie though like i said gotta have a dam phone these days anyhow. But hey on the brighter side of things they do give me a free 2013 tahoe!!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know why he's whining about he has bigger issues in the streets to take care.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
webdr is on a distinguished road
webdr's Tacoma Gallery
my department pays $75 of my $95 dollar cell bill monthly...

Closed Thread