Curt aka Pinal1223

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Sister's Car Impounded by Police- Can we get it out?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
This is a wonderful way to have your dad thrown in jail. This is some stupid advice because your dad would be filing a false report.

Think of it this way... The vehicle was used during the commission of a crime. It was towed by a PRIVATE company (most likely as done here in SC), people don't work for free so you will have to pay the fees billed by the company. Said fees will vary dependent on the time it stays in their tow yard. Get it and get it quickly to pay the lowest price possible.
this is what i thought, but that is not "impounding" the car. If the cop told them he was "impounding" it, it makes me think he had them to it back to the PD pending investigation. If OP just doesnt know what impound means, then i would agree with you.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Beer.
rickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickrock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rickrock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
So because I find a stolen car I can't impound it because the driver isn't the registered owner?

Most likely the cop impounded the car BECAUSE your sister wasn't the registered owner, so because she got picked up for an offense in a car that wasn't her's, it go towed so the registered owner could pick it up.
This ^^^^ ?

That would make sense...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
On the back of your copy of the tow form should be a number you can call to schedule a hearing at the tow company's lot. If your dad can get this hearing scheduled with the officer's supervisor and the supervisor agrees to let the car be turned back over, you will only be out the fees and have your car back. At least that's how it works here in California.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
Your dad needs to take the car away from her and your sister needs to stop driving. Here in San Diego, in addition to the car being in impound for the weekend at the least, she'd be in jail. Sounds like the cop was trying to do you all a favor.
Yeah, he does need to put his foot down on her taking that car. The thing is, he's never home, because he's always at work, so she just slips out without anyone knowing. The cop was really nice, and I do think he was trying to be as helpful as he could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watari06V6 View Post
beg, steal or borrow and get that car back. thats kinda your family's 'lifeline'. well don't steal ok? lol. your genius sister needs a major reality check. if she's not part of your family's solution, then she's part of the problem.
Yeah, let's not steal, ha ha. Not one to beg, but maybe we can find someone to borrow a car from for the next couple days. We are trying to get our van running, but I doubt it will be legal in time to alleviate the one-vehicle situation. It runs, but needs a door, a windshield, a rearview mirror, and to have the cracked piece of frame in front of the door welded so that the door doesn't just fling open/fall off. (One van threw a rod through the wall, so we are bringing this other van back to life.) My sister is definitely a big part of our problem. She costs us so much money, with her tickets, car payments, insurance, etc. The problem is, I don't think my parents would kick her out, because she'd probably die on her own or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
sorry to hear that. you should be able to get it out, just call the officer and ask what you need to do, or have your dad call. if i can give you any advice, at all, dont get mad at the cop, and dont act sarcastic, be as nice as you can, that really does go a long ways....
Quote:
as long as the registration for that vehicle are not under suspension, you should be able to get it out. call the officer and ask.
Dad called the officer and talked to him for a while- just got off the phone with him a couple minutes ago. He said that Dad may be able to go down to the courts and contest it on Monday, get one day taken off, since its originally going to be in there until Tuesday. I guess the courts aren't open on weekends. I guess this is what we are going to try to do.
And you're right, I guess I used the wrong term when I said impounding- what would the correct term be, then? It's at Allen's (Sp.?) Towing. I thought it was called impounding if they take the car away. I had no idea that there was a difference in what it was called because it was taken to a private lot. That's my bad, sorry if I confused anyone.
And thanks guys, for all of your help. I really appreciate y'all taking your time to read this.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
who knows, there is still pieces of this story you are leaving out, or have not been told. If the ONLY reason they towed it is because she is under suspension, a licensed driver should be able to go get it right now.
Around here it's a mandatory 30 day impound.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
Keep us posted? Might be able to throw some bones your way if y'all are at that much risk.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #27
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll keep y'all posted in this here thread. If we can get out of this ourselves, we are going to try. I don't wanna have to ask for assistance. :P Thanks guys, you all really rock.
I reckon I'm gonna go to bed now. Just picked up my little sister (not my big, stupid sister) from work, gotta be up for the paper route in a little over 2 hours. (It's 12:33 AM here.) I'll let y'all know of any updates in the morning if I get the chance.
Again, thanks.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #28
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Not assistance. It's human decency. No need for your family to suffer.

I'm sure we could all spare a few bucks if it comes down to losing everything.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailDrag View Post
Not assistance. It's human decency. No need for your family to suffer.

I'm sure we could all spare a few bucks if it comes down to losing everything.
+1

I'd be in for a 20.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
+1

I'd be in for a 20.
X2
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #31
Glad to see others interested.

Let us know what the deal is and we can start a thread, set up a PayPal if you don't have one or something to get y'all a little help financially.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, your dad does have some responsibility if the car is in his name and he's allowing her to drive it while suspended, but try this, have your dad call the agency and explain the situation - speak with a supervisor if necessary - and ask if he can get his car back.

The rest of the family's transportation needs falling on you is a separate issue. I have no idea how old you are or your situation, but it sounds like some boundaries are in order. Good luck!
No, it seems that she's essentially stealing the car in the middle of they day when dad isn't home, and it happens, my taco was almost the dd for four people....
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
Guessing the same reason licensed drivers need cars.. pretty much any reason they can think of.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #35
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Kick your sisters ass! I mean she must be mental or extremely stupid
Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
Wut..
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #37
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
Figured this was the best place for this thread. Mods, if you figure there's a better place for this, be my guest.
My idiot sister got pulled today doing 60 in a 45. This is her third driving on a suspended. She called me and I came to get her from the scene- surprised she wasn't carted off to jail. Cop was very nice, but said he HAD to impound her car, as it was procedure for someone with my sister's record. It's at Allen's Towing all the way out in VB until Tuesday. (This means that my truck is the only vehicle we have right now, so I will be ferrying both of my sisters and my father to work every day, and will have to do the newspaper route (Virginian Pilot) in my truck, something I had been trying to prevent from happening, as the route tears up the front end your vehicle. All of this, on top of my work. So we need to try to get the car out so I don't destroy my truck.)
But the car is in my Dad's name, not my sister's, and my dad is under the impression that they cannot impound it and force us to pay impoundment fees because it is in his name and not hers. He says they had no right to impound it.
Is my father right, or is this totally normal? And is there any way we might be able to contest this to get the car out early? Because I can't ferry around my 7-people family all day long. I'll lose my jobs, and then we really will have nothing.
They have every right to impound a car when it is being driven illegally, in commission of a crime. Regardless of ownership.

Quote:
In my dad's defense, he wasn't rude at all about it, he just thought that they couldn't do it since it's in his name. He's furious too, and has tried to get her to stop driving like an idiot and on suspended. It's not Dad's fault she does this stuff- my sister's an idiot, and doesn't listen to any of us. Dad has nothing to do with that. He's just trying to scrabble to save our family because we are likely going to go down because of this. We have nothing, and he's trying to do everything he can to keep his job, which means getting this car back if at all possible. He's clinging to his last bit of hope, just trying to do what he can. We could seriously lose everything because of this. Everything. The house, the car, everything. Because we cant all function on one vehicle, and could likely lose our jobs because of this, and the fees are going to kill us. We have no money, nothing.
Understand that I am just giving you the facts, and in no way trying to offend anyone, but the hilighted part above is total BS. Your dad has EVERYTHING to do with that, and while your sister is the one doing something dumb, your dad can EASILY prevent it from happening by collecting every single key to the car and not making a key available to her. Unless she plans on literally stealing the car, if she doesn't have a key, she cant take the car. Simple.

Quote:
Yeah, he does need to put his foot down on her taking that car. The thing is, he's never home, because he's always at work, so she just slips out without anyone knowing. The cop was really nice, and I do think he was trying to be as helpful as he could.

Yeah, let's not steal, ha ha. Not one to beg, but maybe we can find someone to borrow a car from for the next couple days. We are trying to get our van running, but I doubt it will be legal in time to alleviate the one-vehicle situation. It runs, but needs a door, a windshield, a rearview mirror, and to have the cracked piece of frame in front of the door welded so that the door doesn't just fling open/fall off. (One van threw a rod through the wall, so we are bringing this other van back to life.) My sister is definitely a big part of our problem. She costs us so much money, with her tickets, car payments, insurance, etc. The problem is, I don't think my parents would kick her out, because she'd probably die on her own or something.

Dad called the officer and talked to him for a while- just got off the phone with him a couple minutes ago. He said that Dad may be able to go down to the courts and contest it on Monday, get one day taken off, since its originally going to be in there until Tuesday. I guess the courts aren't open on weekends. I guess this is what we are going to try to do.
And you're right, I guess I used the wrong term when I said impounding- what would the correct term be, then? It's at Allen's (Sp.?) Towing. I thought it was called impounding if they take the car away. I had no idea that there was a difference in what it was called because it was taken to a private lot. That's my bad, sorry if I confused anyone.
And thanks guys, for all of your help. I really appreciate y'all taking your time to read this.
Yes, the car was impounded. Just because it was impounded does not mean it has to be taken to the police lot. All over the US there are towing companies that have fenced in lots (a requirement for those who tow for impounds) and they are given a directive by the police to tow the vehicle to their lot (in this case Allen's Towing) and hold it until either directed by the police, or listed fines/fees are paid.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #38
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In my dad's defense, he wasn't rude at all about it, he just thought that they couldn't do it since it's in his name. He's furious too, and has tried to get her to stop driving like an idiot and on suspended. It's not Dad's fault she does this stuff- my sister's an idiot, and doesn't listen to any of us. Dad has nothing to do with that. He's just trying to scrabble to save our family because we are likely going to go down because of this. We have nothing, and he's trying to do everything he can to keep his job, which means getting this car back if at all possible. He's clinging to his last bit of hope, just trying to do what he can. We could seriously lose everything because of this. Everything. The house, the car, everything. Because we cant all function on one vehicle, and could likely lose our jobs because of this, and the fees are going to kill us. We have no money, nothing.
Things always get better at some point. Keep your head up.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #39
Hillbilly

Quote:
Let us know what the deal is and we can start a thread, set up a PayPal if you don't have one or something to get y'all a little help financially.
These responses are really quite touching. You know you're good people when you are willing to help out someone you only know on the computer. Major respect for all of you. But you know that if I do accept help from y'all, I'm going to have to pay you all back one way or another when I get the chance. And if you're ever in Chesapeake, my door is always open.
Haven't heard any more on it from the police, my sister, or my dad, other than that dad probably will not be able to get her car out early on Monday even if he can go to court and contest it, because he's gotta work open to close. (9-9) And Iva, my sister, said that her court date is Oct 3- her birthday. How ironic. Funny, cos I'm sure she'll be going to jail. So jail on her birthday. She deserves it, though. Truck performed very well on the route last night. If I wasn't scared of the route tearing it up (the weight of 1000 papers, veering in the street to throw papers in driveways, constant stop-and-go, etc) I'd say it'd make a great route truck. I just started a paypal a few weeks ago, not sure how to use it though. And it's not verified, becuase they want my legal documents to verify. Bank account it's connected to is Navy Fed.

Quote:
Guessing the same reason licensed drivers need cars.. pretty much any reason they can think of.
This. She has a job, and her hours conflict with my dad's, so she was left mostly to her own devices to find a ride. And most of the time, she'd just take the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Understand that I am just giving you the facts, and in no way trying to offend anyone, but the hilighted part above is total BS. Your dad has EVERYTHING to do with that, and while your sister is the one doing something dumb, your dad can EASILY prevent it from happening by collecting every single key to the car and not making a key available to her. Unless she plans on literally stealing the car, if she doesn't have a key, she cant take the car. Simple.
You're absolutely right when you put it that way- he should have done that. I don't know why he didn't take the keys from her, but he definitely should have. And I take no offense, because you really do make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Things always get better at some point. Keep your head up.
Will do. I'm trying to.

I'm about to leave, likely won't be back on for a couple hours. Already took dad and Iva to work, still gotta take my little sis to work, and I gotta mow a couple yards to make some cash for my own insurance payment. I'll update y'all when I get the chance on what's going on.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Your father let his daughter drive around on a suspended licence in his car multiple occasions and he's mad they impounded it?