Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Law Enforcement Officers

Notices

Interested in becoming an LEO

Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Interested in becoming an LEO

It's been on my mind for probably 3 years or so that I would like to become an LEO. Just something that deep down I feel I would love to do. My cousin is an officer in Florida and actually works in a department pretty close to one of our members.

I have an Associates Degree already in Computer Aided Drafting and Design and as I've read here and other places is fine, and am in decent shape. Not a real big guy 6'0" 165, but have had good instincts when it comes to defending myself.

I just wondered if any of you had any advice or knowledge that might help me. I haven't applied to the academy yet, but plan to really soon. I am also going to talk to a couple local LEOs I know personally.

Thanks in advance guys and women if we have any LEO women on here!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
figure out how to do a ride a long with a local dept and do that a couple of times and then start picking the local officers brains on how to get in

Advice for someone around my area could be completely different than up there
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
figure out how to do a ride a long with a local dept and do that a couple of times and then start picking the local officers brains on how to get in

Advice for someone around my area could be completely different than up there
PA does not allow ride alongs. Like I said, I'm gonna talk to a couple locals I know and get their input. I just figured I'd branch out my search to TW because I feel there is some good advice that comes from here once in a while.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
best of luck too you. wont be an easy 6 months in the academy, but stick it out and you will have a good career. hope you dont like to talk alot, you wont be doing any of that while in there.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake72 View Post
best of luck too you. wont be an easy 6 months in the academy, but stick it out and you will have a good career. hope you dont like to talk alot, you wont be doing any of that while in there.
I'm quiet until I get around my friends. So, since I won't be talking to anyone, no friends! lol The 6 months would/will suck but the pay while in there is better than what I make now, and the career after will be very good for sure!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I believe Tampa. Not sure of Department though
Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
IronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Bad Cop, No Donut!
IronPig's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the Academy! That will give you only a taste of what Cop work is all about. Once you get hired you will feel like the academy did not prepare you for most of what you will see and do. Reassuring, huh? Police work is the best show on Earth! The things we do and see never cease to amaze me, and I have been in this job for 20+ years. Get in shape, lift some weights, study your state's vehicle and criminal codes. you will do fine as long as you have the correct attitude.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Farva
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I believe Tampa. Not sure of Department though
Cool well at least I know who you are talking about now.. anyway come on down and do a ride along. This is the best job on the planet. Are you sold on staying up in North? I could not imagine doing this job in ice and snow..or really any job for that matter. But either way if your a cop that would make the cold tollerable..I guess..
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPig View Post
Good luck with the Academy! That will give you only a taste of what Cop work is all about. Once you get hired you will feel like the academy did not prepare you for most of what you will see and do. Reassuring, huh? Police work is the best show on Earth! The things we do and see never cease to amaze me, and I have been in this job for 20+ years. Get in shape, lift some weights, study your state's vehicle and criminal codes. you will do fine as long as you have the correct attitude.
Yeah, getting my ass in better shape before I go is priority #1. I was an inspection mechanic at my last job, I was there nearly 6 years, so I have an extensive knowledge of vehicle laws because of doing inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Cool well at least I know who you are talking about now.. anyway come on down and do a ride along. This is the best job on the planet. Are you sold on staying up in North? I could not imagine doing this job in ice and snow..or really any job for that matter. But either way if your a cop that would make the cold tollerable..I guess..
I am planning on heading to Florida to see my family this winter maybe. I may have to make it a short trip because of my new job I really don't know if I can get off work for a few days. If I do make it down he already told me we're going for a ride.

I am definitely staying up here though. I love where I live and have never been anywhere that would convince me to move. I love snow! Riding fourwheelers in the winter is one of my favorite things to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
oh yeah forgot to say...go K9 when you get hired...I'll show ya favorite vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIv6olyN_c
That's something that's already in my head. I don't know if I'd be happy doing it or not though. I'm not the world's biggest dog fan. I do like dogs, I just have had bad experiences with them.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
hey k9cop, why don't you tell the kid you really wanted to be a firefighter? lol...

good luck OP!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToyTaco View Post
Where in PA do you live? How far from MD
Halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie, so a good 3.5 hours from MD

Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd thinkin about becoming a cop too but i heard the pay sucks and although i would love to help out my city and surrounding citys and people in general im going to have to think about my family first and i know i want an extremely comfortable lifestyle for them so if anyone could chime in on pay rate that'd be great
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
Police can't spell *Heroes.

and i'll just leave this here:

http://youtu.be/-QgctZDpHSQ
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
sub'd thinkin about becoming a cop too but i heard the pay sucks and although i would love to help out my city and surrounding citys and people in general im going to have to think about my family first and i know i want an extremely comfortable lifestyle for them so if anyone could chime in on pay rate that'd be great
Yep, not for you. One doesn't do this job if you want an "extremely comfortable lifestyle".

My dad owns a plumbing company. I've been doing plumbing for years-side jobs. I could go work for him tomorrow and get a 25k a yr raise plus less stress. But I love what I do, I make enough and am content with what I have.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS
TonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud ofTonkaToyTaco has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement: Sharpshooter
Name: Louie
TonkaToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post
Yep, not for you. One doesn't do this job if you want an "extremely comfortable lifestyle".

My dad owns a plumbing company. I've been doing plumbing for years-side jobs. I could go work for him tomorrow and get a 25k a yr raise plus less stress. But I love what I do, I make enough and am content with what I have.
Amen to that. Pay is ok but not the best, benifits are good and retirement but thats it. Have to learn to live within ur means. BUT I can honestly say I LOVE MY job, everyday I wake up I love putting on my uniform and helping ppl and serving. No better reward, you dont become a LEO for money and to collect a paycheck. Its a lifestyle change and you do it for the reward.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front sight View Post

Quote:
Amen to that. Pay is ok but not the best, benifits are good and retirement but thats it. Have to learn to live within ur means. BUT I can honestly say I LOVE MY job, everyday I wake up I love putting on my uniform and helping ppl and serving. No better reward, you dont become a LEO for money and to collect a paycheck. Its a lifestyle change and you do it for the reward.
PA Troopers make a pretty good salary. I could easily stay in my current field and make a fair chunk less and have no real stressful situations put on me, but I want this! It's a feeling I've had for years that I'd love to have a career being an officer and I'm gonna act on it!